How can you recognize a good driver?

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Things are pretty slow, so I thought I'd try and start some conversation. What is it you look for to find a good driver? We have all gone to watch a new series at one time or another and don't know diddly about the cars or the drivers. Usually this is at a small local track, so there are more than one race to help you find someone to watch. The same can be said for the Cup cars with new drivers or at least when they change. Tell what you look for if it isn't loyalty for a sponsor, owner or whatever.

What I looke for is the ability of the driver to come to the front. It seems that it's always easier to stay up front once you're there, even if that's where you started. However, once the driver has gone to the back of the pack for whatever reason, I watch to see how well he works his way back up front. If he stays at the back, I figure he was just lucky to be up front in the first place. If he only gets by about half the rest of the guys, I figure he's about a journeyman driver. If he is able to get all the way to the front again, I'll continue to pay attention to him in other races. Of course, a driver isn't going to be able to win them all (though some at the local level come close) I then make a choice as to his style. This is just a choice of the moment as some have been aggressive while others seem to be just smooth. How about you?

I like to look for the aggresive ones that can pass anywhere on the track. They don't just stay on one line but will try any line. I like the drivers that bump other drivers but don't get too mad when they get bumped back.

Actually it's hard to recognize a good driver. It takes time and several races before I can even find someone to keep an eye on. I guess the easiest way to find a good driver is to watch how he handles traffic.........aggressively or conservatively. You can do that no matter where a driver starts......if he's up front does he block a lot? Or when he gets to lapped traffic, does he hang back as long as he is in the lead or does he pass the lapped traffic aggressively to put as many cars between him and the second place car? Does he appear to be in control of his car under all circumstances? If he races hard for every lap yet doesn't take unnecessary chances then I will try to watch him more closely. I like the aggressive style but there are times when it's best to cool it a little......it's a judgement call on my part but if he does what I think he should then he is likely impress me as a good driver.

DEW, you've got some very good points there. We've got a young driver at our local track (Burt is a cousin of Chocolate Myers) and while Burt isn't really all that aggressive, but he's a very good driver. Two time track champ at 27 or so. He will pass where the other driver lets him. Most of the passing on the short track of Bowman Gray Stadium is done on the inside. Burt has become so good at passing on the outside that at times, he prefers that line. However, don't give him the inside or you will be dust in a hurry. He also does well on the half mile tracks and will also pass on the outside. This is one of the traits that you mentioned. He's very patient in his racing. Many times, he has lingered around the back of the lead lap, always waiting for his crew to make changes when he can stop. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Burt were able to make the scene somewhere in the big leagues. He has tested trucks for Jack Roush, but is waiting for more. His main drawback is that he drives modifieds instead of late models.

Buckaroo, don't apologize for Burt driving modifies. You have some of open wheel racers and some drivers in WC. Stewart, Robbie Gordon, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Andretti, Bodines', Spencer, Park, Johnson, Schrader, Nadeau...

Well I just could not help myself.Patience,and aggressive mixed like a good ****tail.Mark Martin comes to mind.;)

While that is okay, you have to remember that those boys were driving in the big leagues of open wheelers. Most of the guys who have made it from this area have come from the late model series. Now days, owners have a plethora of drivers from which to choose.

New England short tracks. Indiana bull rings. What big leagues?

If you don't think that USAC midgets are big leagues, I don't know what I can do to prove it. Yeah, they don't get paid the same kind of money as Nascar or CART or IRL or F1, but those are the ultimate. So, okay, let's call those the minor leagues. These tracks down here are simply ametuer compaired to the others.

Man I love watching USAC races. Those cars are so powerful and they always put on a good show.

I still look at the guys who can slide the arse end of a car at 150 mph like they are on a Sunday drive.Shows they know what the car can do when it is set up right.;) Dirt boys are sometimes eager to grab the horses that the big boys have,and then forget the slide is in the tire,and not the dirt.:)

From the home office in Cobbler's Nob, TN....

10. Last name does not rhyme with FaultFlip.
9. Great big ears, standing next to a man in a great big hat.
8. Now palling around with his new car owner, Robert Yates.
7. Knows his way around the Dawsonville Pool Hall.
6. Drives this car number.
5. Perished in a plane crash near Blountville, TN.
4. Was known far and wide as The Silver Fox.
3. A Caterpillar racing suit is a dead give away.
2. 2002 Rookie Of The Year winner.

And the number one way....

1. Has NEVER driven for Sniffles Childress.

Patience is the key....soon as the the guy slips up....make the move to the inside or outside. The ability to set you car up pretty much neutral, so you can take that high line when you need to, then dive to the inside coming off the corner is what seperates the men from the boys. G.Bodine was a master at worrying to death his opponents when he raced Mods, he'd always look for that slip up and capitalize on it. A good driver can win with great equipment, a great driver can win with so-so equipment.

:p :p :p TnWard you won't be a mod long if you act like that.:p What's up wildman?How is the new shack?:)

Ever see the movie "The Money Pit"?

Lovin it though. Just kinda expensive trying to correctly repair everything they redneck engineered for 60 years. But overall I'm happier than a pig in...well, you know what. How you been makin it? Keeping busy hustling your buns all over the country?

Buckaroo your right about USAC. But to some people, Open wheel racing isn't real racing and that's to bad. Local Mid West dirt racing is the nervana of life to the faithfull in Indiana. I'm sure that talent is talent wherever one has to cut their teeth and they will be recognized. As pbunch said about those drivers sliding the rear of their car around at 150 mph in the dirt is a real thrill to watch. And remember, in open wheel racing you don't have the fenders to make up for your mistakes when you rub up against someone. Finesse driving. Finesse and control....That's how these past open wheel drivers learned to keep their fenders on their WINSTON CUP car. Finesse

Probably that is why so many open wheel guys make it in WC>!;)

No buns right now Tw.That is a one time contract every year.Just Moving a lot of breading,And filter sand for US Filter right now.I know what you mean about the money pit,How many new tools have you had to buy so far? :D I did that with my farm in Illinois.I might could send you a few.:)

Oh Lord. Most of my tools became the property of my ex, aka The Beast. Thieving little so-and-so...

Fortunately, my father has well over a million dollars worth of tools, and that ain't no exaggeration. He's a retired tool and die man, so you figure it out. My main problem is knowing what to DO with the tools. :p Bob Vila I ain't.

We'll get it all fixed up nice and purty soon enough. Right now, just trying to fix what breaks as it breaks. Old houses have a lot of charm, or at least I tell myself that over and over these days.

DE, I need an electrician! I pay in beer and country cookin'.

My kind of pay their Wrangman,I would take him up on it.:)Just don't get the shorts out of his crack.:p

:bleh:

And on THAT note, I think I'll go do a little Stargazing...c-y'all.

All great drivers, drive a super performace race car, thats how they become great drivers.

Back
Top Bottom