How long until Penske gets a Cup win in 2013?

3wideinturn1

Team Owner
Hey guys, just wondering everyone's thoughts on if and when Penske gets a Cup win this year? Logano was close at Fontana but to no avail. Kez has had speed some weeks and others he has been a non factor. Personally I've always been a big fan of the Penske org going back to the days of Rusty. What do you think? When will they break out???

I think they'll have a couple of wins before the chase, but I can't predict which track. Kez has been in position a few times at Indy and WG, so possibly 1 or both of those. Ambrose has knocked him out of the way for the wins at the last 2 WG races, so I'm thinking Kez will want to be 2nd in the closing laps.

I think they'll have a couple of wins before the chase, but I can't predict which track. Kez has been in position a few times at Indy and WG, so possibly 1 or both of those. Ambrose has knocked him out of the way for the wins at the last 2 WG races, so I'm thinking Kez will want to be 2nd in the closing laps.

I forgot how epic that WG race ending was, simply amazing. Kyle Busch screaming "there's oil EVERYWHERE!!" then Kez dumped him lol. Great ending though, they were lawn darting and all. That's prolly a good opportunity for Kez to get off the schnide.

I am thinking before September, if Kez and Wolfe get within top5 speed, their crafty enough to steal one. Not being able do that for the most of the season has limited their race management options (obvious but true imo).
Logano had front running speed prior to California, but has not been as fast since. I dont see a win for the 22 anytime soon.
But on any given Sunday I might eat those words.

I am thinking before September, if Kez and Wolfe get within top5 speed, their crafty enough to steal one. Not being able do that for the most of the season has limited their race management options (obvious but true imo).
Logano had front running speed prior to California, but has not been as fast since. I dont see a win for the 22 anytime soon.
But on any given Sunday I might eat those words.

Also it looks to me as though their switch to Ford has taken away the awesome fuel mileage they had with the Dodge engines. They were able to stretch the fuel better than anyone in the garage could while not giving up much if any horsepower. This year they don't seem to be able to stretch it and play the fuel mileage game, which I believe did get them to victory lane more than once last year. Granted the FR9 is a great engine by all accounts, but I wonder if the fuel mileage has also limited their options. As you said though, Wolfe and Kez are about as crafty as they come.

Dont expect any wins to come from Logano. He couldn't win a race if he had the best car. lol

Brad will win at least 2.

They won't get a win this season.

I like Penske and Bad Brad but I agree. I think they'll go winless this season. Kes has been inconsistent this year despite stringing together enough top 10s recently to get to 9th in points. Logano could sneak out a win if it rains, but that would require his crew chief to put enough air in the tires before the race starts.

I like Penske and Bad Brad but I agree. Logano could sneak out a win if it rains, but that would require his crew chief to put enough air in the tires before the race starts.

Haha yeah they've been their own worst enemy this year, even more than Denny.

I'm also a penske fan from the days of Rusty, I even like their indycar operation.. Don't think they'll get a win in cup though. Unless they luck into one. Hendrick/Gibbs/ MWR been too strong.

I'm coming to the conclusion that they 'found something' last year , and went on a tear while they had an advantage . They either lost it with the manufacturer change or with the big penalty . Either way , they aren't going to win till they 'find' something else. Roger has probably laid down the law to the teams to stay strictly within the rules .

I'm coming to the conclusion that they 'found something' last year , and went on a tear while they had an advantage . They either lost it with the manufacturer change or with the big penalty . Either way , they aren't going to win till they 'find' something else. Roger has probably laid down the law to the teams to stay strictly within the rules .

I think you may be on to something, the rear end stuff maybe? That was all the rage last year, and it seems rather coincidental that after they got busted this year with that stuff, their performance took a nose dive.

Haha yeah they've been their own worst enemy this year, even more than Denny.
More than Denny?! LOLOLOL No one has been worse for themselves this year than him. His jackass Im better than u attitude got his back broken and has continued to result in terrible finishes since his return. He's either scared or just over confident but either way his attitude has been very detrimental to his driving ability. IMO...

Also I think Penske will get their first win this year at Bristol, Michigan, or Charlotte by Logano. BK will win Talladega, maybe Kansas and/or Watkins Glen. Im looking forward to going back to Bristol. Joeys had great cars there the past 2 races. Lead the most laps last fall and was fighting for the lead in the spring before Denny's bonehead move. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him pull one off at Michigan for sure, its one of his best tracks.

Kez is in a distant 9th spot, smart driving and pit work, over a car that is dismal performance wise this year is the reason. You can only do so much with a slower car. Both drivers are carrying the car, haven't seen one race where either one had what I would call a threat to win car. Kez has put his car on the pole twice, and has finished well in both races, but his car didn't get better as the race wore on. I don't think it is the crew or drivers at fault, but what they have to work with come race day.

More than Denny?! LOLOLOL No one has been worse for themselves this year than him. His jackass Im better than u attitude got his back broken and has continued to result in terrible finishes since his return. He's either scared or just over confident but either way his attitude has been very detrimental to his driving ability.

Sorry I worded that poorly. What I meant to say was that although Denny has caused Joey some grief this year, it's been primarily mistakes of their own doing that have been their downfall. Without question no one has shot themselves in the foot more than Denny and the 11 team, and quite frankly it looks good on them.

Sorry I worded that poorly. What I meant to say was that although Denny has caused Joey some grief this year, it's been primarily mistakes of their own doing that have been their downfall. Without question no one has shot themselves in the foot more than Denny and the 11 team, and quite frankly it looks good on them.
Agreed. I used to like Denny too.

Kez is in a distant 9th spot, smart driving and pit work, over a car that is dismal performance wise this year is the reason. You can only do so much with a slower car. Both drivers are carrying the car, haven't seen one race where either one had what I would call a threat to win car. Kez has put his car on the pole twice, and has finished well in both races, but his car didn't get better as the race wore on. I don't think it is the crew or drivers at fault, but what they have to work with come race day.

They just don't seem to have the speed, although in fairness I think Joey had a legit shot at the win in California.

You raise a very interesting point about their cars not getting better during the race, as that was their hallmark from last year. They'd qualify poorly but then go out and make good adjustments and work their way through the field. They just have not been able to do that this year and I'm sure it's not from a lack of trying.

They just don't seem to have the speed, although in fairness I think Joey had a legit shot at the win in California.

You raise a very interesting point about their cars not getting better during the race, as that was their hallmark from last year. They'd qualify poorly but then go out and make good adjustments and work their way through the field. They just have not been able to do that this year and I'm sure it's not from a lack of trying.
I duno about Kes so much but I know Joey has been better in the second half of pretty much every race. I usually watch lap times. I also think he should have won at Kentucky. He was 1.6 behind JJ catching him with 30 to go. He also had one of the fastest if not the fastest car at Bristol. I think its funny how BK said one of Joeys talents he liked was his ability to unload fast and qualify well.. then he goes to Penske and starts practicing and qualifying poorly but is fast in pretty much every race. Go figure... the speed is still not what the need yet but they'll get there eventually, hopefully sooner than later. Im hopin Joey can get one before Brad just for bragging rights.

[quote="3wideinturn1, post: 643201, member: 7546"....
You raise a very interesting point about their cars not getting better during the race, as that was their hallmark from last year. They'd qualify poorly but then go out and make good adjustments and work their way through the field. They just have not been able to do that this year and I'm sure it's not from a lack of trying.[/quote]

Not sayin the back injury is or isn't a factor . But consider this . The fine tuning of what a car needs comes from the driver . His "seat of the pants " feel of the racecar . If the driver has lower back pain , might that inhibit his
"seat of the pants" feel of the racecar ? Just wonderin.

The 2 and 22 are lagging a little bit this year...Don't see a win this year, but probably will next year

yeah Kez has put his car on the pole twice and although he finished in the top five, that is a long way from a win. More often then not, the Penske cars are not improving on their qualifying times during the race, they get slower as the competition gets faster. that shows to me a lack of equipment. Last year Kez improved his finishing position almost every race. Same bunch as last year, only thing different is the car. It is a night and day difference. BTW the Dodge SRT motorsports out of cup, but campaigning a Viper in ALS this year, gave the league leading Corvette all it could handle last weekend. That bunch was a key to Penske's success in cup last year.

Back
Top Bottom