How many of you were offended that Kyle Larson said Chili Bowl win bigger than Daytona 500?

MRM

Team Owner
After winning Saturday's Chili Bowl midget race, Kyle Larson said that win was and would be bigger than winning the Daytona 500. Many of the NASCAR shills like Mikey Waltrip and others jumped on to social media at the horror of such a statement. I dare say a number of fans said the same thing.

After winning Saturday's Chili Bowl midget race, Kyle Larson said that win was and would be bigger than winning the Daytona 500. Many of the NASCAR shills like Mikey Waltrip and others jumped on to social media at the horror of such a statement. I dare say a number of fans said the same thing.
Michael Waltrip.

He’s the mutt who humiliated himself over the course of 2 race seasons, destroyed his reputation and embarrassed everyone within 5,000 miles of Daytona Beach and Richmond, Virginia. Mickey loves him some NASCAR.

Young Money is a national treasure. It is my fervent hope that he wins the 500 in February.

Let's get the (expletive) quote right:
“Sorry NASCAR and Daytona but this is the biggest (expletive) win I’ve ever had,” said the 27-year-old Californian who started third. “This is badass and I’ve spent almost half my life trying to win this thing. It’s an amazing feeling.”

Kyle is a cool dude, glad he won something that meant that much to him. It's not up to us as fans, his driver peers or those in the media to tell him what is important to him. He alone can only decide that and if he feels the Chili Bowl is that important to him then good for him. Hope he wins the 500 and shoves it up the ass of those he offended.

Let's get the (expletive) quote right:
“Sorry NASCAR and Daytona but this is the biggest (expletive) win I’ve ever had,” said the 27-year-old Californian who started third. “This is badass and I’ve spent almost half my life trying to win this thing. It’s an amazing feeling.”
That seems to be quite different that the title of this thread.

I think what Larson said was great and very real.
The Chili Bowl was simply Larsons dream event or priorty and he does not owe anyone an excuse or apology.

Some people may dream of winning the biggest purse while another wants to win more at a place like Darlington, Martinville, the Snowball Derby, or the Chili Bowl etc.
Dreams by nature have to be subjective. Something very personal that checks all the boxes for you. Something that makes you go or tick, and your passion. You can't or shouldn't prescribe a fixed dream on anyone, or try to live the one they would impose upon you.
You have to believe in what you are doing yourself.

“Sorry NASCAR and Daytona but this is the biggest (expletive) win I’ve ever had,” said the 27-year-old Californian who started third.

All he said is "this is the biggest win I've ever had" He could say the same thing his next Nascar win.

To be clear, I heard it live, and watched it a couple other times. The quote was: "I'm sorry NASCAR, I'm sorry Daytona, but this is the biggest f***ing race I've ever won. I hope to win Daytona in a few weeks, but this is bad***."

As far as I'm concerned, he is correct. He also stated to Bob Pockrass in the press conference that "Obviously it is not" bigger than Daytona in terms of crowd, purse, and other measures. But it's the most important to him.

His passion for dirt racing is why I root for him. For those not into dirt racing, I have no idea what there is to be insecure about. NASCAR is still king to most. Let these guys be who they are.

To be clear, I heard it live, and watched it a couple other times. The quote was: "I'm sorry NASCAR, I'm sorry Daytona, but this is the biggest f***ing race I've ever won. I hope to win Daytona in a few weeks, but this is bad***."

As far as I'm concerned, he is correct. He also stated to Bob Pockrass in the press conference that "Obviously it is not" bigger than Daytona in terms of crowd, purse, and other measures. But it's the most important to him.

His passion for dirt racing is why I root for him. For those not into dirt racing, I have no idea what there is to be insecure about. NASCAR is still king to most. Let these guys be who they are.

Nailed it with the word "insecure".

I see nothing wrong with his actual quote. Even so, he’s a sprint car guy, of course the Chili Bowl is huge.

I can't believe there is even a thread about this. Hell I make my living in drag racing but if I was a race car driver I would choose the Indy 500 and then the Chili Bowl over any other race to win. But that doesn't mean I don't like drag racing or Nascar. Actually I spend more time on this forum then any other forum in sports.

I don’t have a problem with Kyle Larson, or his honesty. It’s clear that dirt racing his is his livelihood and passion. Can’t knock someone for accomplishing their goals.

As a NASCAR fan, I do wish Kyle showed the same passion on Sundays that he does for sprint car racing. It’s obvious that he’s in the series for the paycheck.

Not that there anything wrong with that. Snoke was the same way. And was one of the best to ever strap in a race car. These guys are who they are. Let them live their lives.

I don’t have a problem with Kyle Larson, or his honesty. It’s clear that dirt racing his is his livelihood and passion. Can’t knock someone for accomplishing their goals.

As a NASCAR fan, I do wish Kyle showed the same passion on Sundays that he does for sprint car racing. It’s obvious that he’s in the series for the paycheck.

Not that there anything wrong with that. Snoke was the same way. And was one of the best to ever strap in a race car. These guys are who they are. Let them live their lives.
I think Larson does the best he can regardless of which steering wheel is in his hands. He gets the absolute most out of whatever he’s sitting in.

He hasn't won the Daytona 500 so he has no reference. It sounds like the Chili Bowl is his current biggest win.

I think it is good for racing when drivers run other types of cars.

Didn't offend me in the least. Personally, I'm a KL fan first, Short track fan 2nd, and finally a NASCAR fan. With the Chili Bowl win behind him now, I think you see a more focused KL. I can guarantee that the loss he suffered there last year was devastating, and impacted him for a long time. It hurt to be that close and let it slip away. I think he rattles off several wins.

Congrats to him and for saying how he felt about winning a race that was very important to him.

Michael Waltrip.

He’s the mutt who humiliated himself over the course of 2 race seasons, destroyed his reputation and embarrassed everyone within 5,000 miles of Daytona Beach and Richmond, Virginia. Mickey loves him some NASCAR.

Young Money is a national treasure. It is my fervent hope that he wins the 500 in February.
He better be thankful Rob Kaufman hasnt written a book about him and MWR. I'm actually surprised FOX is still affiliated with him.

Sirius NASCAR radio did their best to turn what Larson said in to a scandal and wanted to hear the outrage from the fans, guess what, I listened and not 1 caller had a problem with what he said. Not 1. I dont either.

NASCAR media is very out of touch on this. One of their premier drivers just won a huge event in another discipline and they're taking offense at something he said? If anything they should hype it up because it's really cool and should impress fans etc. The NASCAR twitter account should be RTing it and stuff.

He better be thankful Rob Kaufman hasnt written a book about him and MWR. I'm actually surprised FOX is still affiliated with him.
I wonder if Mickey gave David Hyder cash to buy the hobby shop rocket fuel oxygenator .... or did Dave just put it on his expense account?

EOwDklqWAAYT0e_

NASCAR media is very out of touch on this. One of their premier drivers just won a huge event in another discipline and they're taking offense at something he said? If anything they should hype it up because it's really cool and should impress fans etc. The NASCAR twitter account should be RTing it and stuff.

I don't think they are out of touch at all. They were even posting Allgaire's runs on their web site. There are more articles than this from Nascar's site, I got tired.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...lts-kyle-larson-wins-christopher-bell-streak/
https://www.nascar.com/video/franch...-pressure-high-for-drivers-at-the-chili-bowl/
https://www.nascar.com/video/franch...ier-in-his-friday-night-chili-bowl-heat-race/
https://www.nascar.com/video/franch...once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-at-chili-bowl/
https://www.nascar.com/video/franch...-have-to-be-perfect-to-beat-christopher-bell/

Reactions: sdj
I have the same problem with Larson's comment that I have when the Sadlers, Burtons, or Hamlin say a Richmond or Martinsville win is bigger than Daytona, or when Stewart, Gordon, or Menard say an Indianapolis victory is more important to them.

Which is no problem at all.

I wonder if Mikey would have his firesuit up his crack if Kyle had said the same thing about the Rolex or the Indy 500 or LeMans?

Last edited:
Actually I spend more time on this forum then any other forum in sports.
That has nothing to do with racing. You're here because we have the nicest, most informed, well-reasoned membership of any forum on any topic on this entire InterWebs thingie.

I was able to type that with a straight face.

I wonder if Mickey gave David Hyder cash to buy the hobby shop rocket fuel oxygenator .... or did Dave just put it on his expense account?
Hyder was famous for cheated up late models when he drove them, Mikey knew what he was getting when he hired him and I'm sure gave him the wink wink. I still cant believe they tried that, nobody ever checks the intake ......................said no one ever

No, he was a dirt racer before getting into NASCAR. Its in his blood and after damn near a decade of trying he finally broke through to win the Chili Bowl.

Especially, after last years Chili Bowl, I can understand his frustration and now excitement of winning it just shows how much that win meant to Kyle. Coming from different backgrounds make a difference and I respect Larson for speaking his mind for the importance of it all to him.

Back
Top Bottom