How much longer for 7 Time?

Turtle84

Hail Melon 🍉
I give him until the end of this year or next year if he wants to make a production of it on a farewell tour. If he misses the playoffs he'll lose all confidence, if he hasn't already... Whether it's this year or next. I highly doubt he's willing to wait out a package change that may not ever come into his wheelhouse. The dream is over imo, and he is lucky Edwards/Logano wreck happened to get to 7. It was an elite run for JJ possibly GOAT run on execution in a playoff era. ELITE career arguably GOAT, but over. OVER. His career stats all inarguable and first ballot HOF, but he has shown NOTHING...NOTHING these last 2 years. Fast piece or not... he cannot close with this package...through no fault of his own the circumstances have moved away him. Time to call it and open up that ride.

Nothing lasts forever. All the greats struggled for wins at the end. The 48 is no exception. I don’t think Jimmie’s problems are all behind the wheel. Chevy is still playing catch up. I don’t think the new CC is working out as planned.

Weird flex, won a stage and picked up points on Newman.

Why do we want him to retire?

It's just taking notice of how he's been running for what feel's like forever, to put it lightly.

Want him to retire?.... ehh maybe... it's more about HIM WANTING to retire... I mean really how much more of this can he take??? If he wants to stick around and run like this for 5-8 years, then GO FOR IT. I personally don't think he does. I highly doubt he is okay with borderline making the playoffs each year. It has to take it's toll imo.

He’s going to stick around, HMS is going to figure this package/Chevy out while rebuilding the 48 team. He’s going to make a run at 8 I’m telling you. Maybe not this year or next but I’ll bet he will make one more run at it before he’s done. Everyone thought Earnhardt was washed...he made a go of it vs Labonte in 2000, everyone thought Martin was a crazy old man at 50 but he went Mano A Mano vs JJ in 09, and how quickly we forget....Gordon in 15 found a way to get to Homestead and was fast for a portion of that race. Plus also we forget all JJ has to do is win one during the season and he’s in the tournament. And there lies Dover which he’s good at and.....his ticket to Homestead....Texas or Martinsville. I’m not saying it’s easy but there are lifelines there when the 48 team gets rebuilt. He’ll be fine. I’m not sure if Meendering is the guy..if I were Rick I’d see what Jason Ratcliff’s (sorry SP) contract looks like at Gibbs who has had success with an older driver when everyone thought he was washed too (Kenseth)

Penalties are usually announced on Tuesday right? I expect NASCAR will suspend Johnson indefinitely for actions detrimental given his recent performance. Whether he is able to qualify for reinstatement at NASCAR's discretion and provide Rick Allen and the crew with another ADVERSITY narrative is anyone's guess.

He’s going to stick around, HMS is going to figure this package/Chevy out while rebuilding the 48 team. He’s going to make a run at 8 I’m telling you. Maybe not this year or next but I’ll bet he will make one more run at it before he’s done. Everyone thought Earnhardt was washed...he made a go of it vs Labonte in 2000, everyone thought Martin was a crazy old man at 50 but he went Mano A Mano vs JJ in 09, and how quickly we forget....Gordon in 15 found a way to get to Homestead and was fast for a portion of that race. Plus also we forget all JJ has to do is win one during the season and he’s in the tournament. And there lies Dover which he’s good at and.....his ticket to Homestead....Texas or Martinsville. I’m not saying it’s easy but there are lifelines there when the 48 team gets rebuilt. He’ll be fine. I’m not sure if Meendering is the guy..if I were Rick I’d see what Jason Ratcliff’s (sorry SP) contract looks like at Gibbs who has had success with an older driver when everyone thought he was washed too (Kenseth)

Last I heard Ratcliff likes being in NXS. I like Jason as a crew chief though.

Last I heard Ratcliff likes being in NXS. I like Jason as a crew chief though.
He’s a good crew chief, I though the Preacher placed him in NXS because Kenseth fell off the last year when he was there and just didn’t have a spot for him.

I’ve never thought of Jimmie as a driver that was a threat to win. I’ve always regarded him as a product of NASCAR marketing.
The sport isn’t as credible as it once was.
Woohoooo cars are still on the racetrack.

something has changed big time at HMS. I have to wonder if the big money that jeff and dale jr brought in has simply made them into kind of a roush type team now. you have to think those sponsorships they are selling now are hugely discounted from the glory days. They also lost the engine and chassis business that SHR was giving them at the same time. Chips cars are outrunning the HMS cars on a regular basis. heck even the chris buescher car seems to be running better than them at times. Its simply clear jimmie just isn't getting the car he needs, you can see it on the track. He gets posisiton on another car but just simply can't hold it and keep the car on pace with the car he is trying to pass and get to corner exit where he is in a good spot to complete the pass. Instead he gets passed. That aint driver. Its a crappy car. Also the 24 seems to be bringing better cars to the track in many cases. I wonder if the chad divorce was too soon. I have seen a few races where if jimmie would have been in the 24 I think he would have given the winner or at least the top 3 a run for their money. Not saying he would have won but he would have been closer. I think for jimmie to return to form that are going to have to at least be close to winning sometimes. Is going out and winning 1 race, a complete return to form for jimmie? of course not. They need to also be sniffing wins too. We haven't been seeing that. I frankly think the HMS cars suck quite honestly. I bet they would also say they suck too. nonetheless I think next year is jimmie's final season.

something has changed big time at HMS. I have to wonder if the big money that jeff and dale jr brought in has simply made them into kind of a roush type team now. you have to think those sponsorships they are selling now are hugely discounted from the glory days. They also lost the engine and chassis business that SHR was giving them at the same time. Chips cars are outrunning the HMS cars on a regular basis. heck even the chris buescher car seems to be running better than them at times. Its simply clear jimmie just isn't getting the car he needs, you can see it on the track. He gets posisiton on another car but just simply can't hold it and keep the car on pace with the car he is trying to pass and get to corner exit where he is in a good spot to complete the pass. Instead he gets passed. That aint driver. Its a crappy car. Also the 24 seems to be bringing better cars to the track in many cases. I wonder if the chad divorce was too soon. I have seen a few races where if jimmie would have been in the 24 I think he would have given the winner or at least the top 3 a run for their money. Not saying he would have won but he would have been closer. I think for jimmie to return to form that are going to have to at least be close to winning sometimes. Is going out and winning 1 race, a complete return to form for jimmie? of course not. They need to also be sniffing wins too. We haven't been seeing that. I frankly think the HMS cars suck quite honestly. I bet they would also say they suck too. nonetheless I think next year is jimmie's final season.
To hell with punctuation and grammar, amirite?

I’ve never thought of Jimmie as a driver that was a threat to win. I’ve always regarded him as a product of NASCAR marketing.
The sport isn’t as credible as it once was.
Woohoooo cars are still on the racetrack.

Wow, all of the drivers he dominated during his 5 year run probably saw him as a threat to win.

Anything's possible, I respect those possibilities. I just don't see it likely. Him making a car change and hitting the lotto on a dominating ride like Mark did, that ride at least was able to go to work for Mark. I don't see them rebuilding to an elite ride on the 48 with him in it. This package is a real factor that kills his driving style worse than Harvick imo, he likes a loose race car not a glued tight race car with aero effects on passing, sure he could stay out on tires and hope to hold someone off, but that's not anywhere close to what he used to be. Kenseth binking Phoenix on his way out, I could see that happening as a parting gift for JJ somewhere, or even Jeff's Martinsville playoff swan song, Kenseth's top 2 dominant season long in the yellow dollar general car I don't think so though...

What are the odds set at for him getting a win in the next season and a half? +100 even money?....not that great...I'd snap accept a bet he doesn't win this season. And snap accept he doesn't get 2 wins from now till the end of 2020.

.animated_1534029278704.gif

Jimmie’s downfall is expected with age as his reflexes slow. What made him so great was that he could drive a car as loose as possible and keep it under him giving him a ton of speed.

Hope we see him win one more time but 48 doesn’t hang onto it like he used to sadly

Jimmie’s downfall is expected with age as his reflexes slow. What made him so great was that he could drive a car as loose as possible and keep it under him giving him a ton of speed.

Hope we see him win one more time but 48 doesn’t hang onto it like he used to sadly
Dale Earnhardt was still a threat in his early 40s.

Jimmie was the best I ever saw wheel a car. He was so dominant for so long, never had an off year until recently. No matter how dominant my driver or any other was during a race, if Jimmie lined up somewherere in the top few spots on a late restart, I knew the outcome was in question.
I have no idea if he has anything left in the tank for a resurgence, but I'm glad I got to watch his career, it has been amazing. Respect.

The cars suck calm down. Why aren’t people asking why the cars are terrible except on plate tracks. There is no excuse for Jimmie being off at Dover or martinsville. Unless of course the cars are awful which they are

...and ability.
So true. Earnhardt always took care of the equipment and brought it home....sure he roughed up for wins when there was an opportunity but he won those championships by taking care of his equipment, bringing it home in one piece and always recognizing what he had by not overdriving it. Such a great racer in that Winston Cup Points system over a long season.

Back
Top Bottom