Humpy's pick

B

bowtie

H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler, president and G.M. of Lowes Motor Speedway, today predicted #48-Jimmie Johnson will win Saturday nights 19th running of the Winston and claim the $ 1 million first-place prize. Wheeler, known for his promotional flare and Karnac type ability, has correctly picked the winner of Nascar's all star event eight times in the past 14 years. "I'm going to ruffle some feathers on this" said Wheeler. "These picks are not pulled out of some black hat. During the recent test session, I watched guys run in the corners and studied where they got back into the throttle. Most any idiot can run down a straightaway! But this is a real tough track and past winners of The Winston know how to get into the turns with a bunch of guys breathin' hot radiators down their back," Wheeler explained. "There are guys that can get in and out of the turns fastby themselves and are good qualifiers but don't do so good when the big-toothed dogs are bitin' at 'em." Johnson and his Lowes Home Improvement Warehouse team had an impressive test at the 1.5-mile superspeedwaytwo weeks ago, posting the second fastest speed during the two-night session. In addition, the young California native was impressive in last May's events, including The Winston. "all of that is why I'm picking Jimmie Johnson to win this year," Wheeler said. "He runs very strong here and was one of the fastest in testing. I like the way he dug into the turns. He looked like Jeff Gordon-running deep and keeping it smooth." Though not really a dark horse, Wheeler said #8 Dale Earnhardt Jr. is his wildcard pick if Johnson doesn't get the job done. For the Winston Open, the final transfer spotinto the Winston, Wheeler predicts veteran #99-Jeff Burton will win and move into the big show.

Thats interesting that he feels so strongly about Jimmie Johnson winning...now lets see If it happens, I know( Atleast I Hope ) Jeff Burton will get into to Winston. B)

JJ won the 1st two segments of the Winston last year & was strong in the last segment...just not strong enough for Ryan & Dale Jr.

I agree with his pick for the most part. I think either JJ, Jeff Gordon or Matt Kenseth will win it. It could be Jr though, as a new cup sponsor is due to be announced soon B)

I'm going with either Jr, Harvick, or Bobby Labonte..
All 3 will make it to the final segment..

jj would have won it last year if it wont for the stupid invert.

On sundays race why dont we stop the field with 10 laps to go and invert all the cars. sounds just as smart

anyway sounds like good picks to me.

'Though the race ain't always to the swiftest...that's still the way to bet!'As my old Dad used to say. :) Humpy is playing it safe with his pick,for sure.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@May 13 2003, 10:26 PM
I agree with his pick for the most part. I think either JJ, Jeff Gordon or Matt Kenseth will win it. It could be Jr though, as a new cup sponsor is due to be announced soon B)
Are you speculating that this race could be fixed too??? LOL.

I'd never put it past NASCAR, since I've felt there was a few others that may have been, but in my heart, I believe Humpy & Bruton would never let that happen at a track that they control. (As much as a lot of people thing they are whiner cry babies...they still put the fan 1ST...unlike ISC). Especially this race, where the the Neo-Nazi's...whoops, I mean NASCAR, doesn't control the race as much since it's a free for all at times.

Back
Top Bottom