Hurricane Matthew

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
While some of y'all are enjoying fall, some of us are watching the tropics for Hurricane Matthew. Right now, it's a category five NOPE!

085037W5_NL_sm.gif

FYI
hurricane-category1.jpg

I have been in Two - Cat 3 Hurricanes and Two Cat 2 hurricanes. All came through at night and were scary as hell. I was far enough inland and tidal surge was not an issue, thank god. Tidal surge is the big killer. I can not imagine going through a Cat 5, God help them.
To get a good understanding of sustained winds, drive your car at 90 MPH and stick your hand and arm out the window. This is what it is like in a Cat 1 for hours everywhere outside. Now imagine Cat 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Been through a few hurricanes and it's way to early for knicker wadding. Not to say we shouldn't keep an eye on it.

Cape Hatteras is about to get ******... Again.

Latest models show it going just about right over Hampton Roads (aka, me.) Not looking forward to this ****.

Ok so curious minds want to know. How does insurance work with all this? Do insurance companies even provide hurricane and flood insurance in that region?
I assume it takes a while to rebuild too.

Well, be safe either way. Get out early. I could only imagine getting stuck in traffic as the winds ramp up.

Ordinary insurance does NOT cover flood damage. You have to buy the federal flood insurance. And, if you live on the coast, the flood
insurance could absolutely be cost prohibitive for most homeowers.
Most insurance will cover wind damage, but sometimes proving it was the wind causing the damage is "iffy", at best.

Most people really can't afford the comprehensive coverage that would replace everything.

I always get a sick chuckle hearing how the stores get emptied every time there's bad weather. They rush out and spend hundreds on preps they should already have .... and discard them when it's past instead of learning the lesson and storing them. 72hrs of food, water, heat and shelter ... that's the minimum EVERYONE should have.

Now the NHC is saying it just might sit off the Carolina coasts for a couple of days.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4 shtml/093327.shtml?5-daynl#contents

But, it's still to early to say for certain. These things are so unpredictable.
That cone of uncertainty can get larger or turn in a few hours.

The shift to the East is a good thing.

But the European computer model disagrees with the GFS and NHC forecast. It has the hurricane just off the coast of Wilmington before the shift East.

I've been watching closely. Forecast says it's going to rain from Thursday through Sunday, with tropical storm conditions Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If the NHC forecast brings Matthew closer to Wilmington, Jacksonville and Morehead, that's the difference between four inches of rain and 40 mph winds and 18 inches of rain and 80 mph winds.

Other thing that sucks is the way its going to loop around and hit again. The European model already has the storm hitting North Carolina on its second pass next weekend.

Alright, everyone in its path, stay safe! I am going home to batten down the hatches and hunker down. Take care!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The guy that does the sign language when they show the press conference from the governor should get his own show.

I'm just between Jacksonville and Gainesville, they are preparing for the worst around here. Hopefully it will break up some before it hits us. You be safe everyone, stay off the roads if you can.

I'm just between Jacksonville and Gainesville, they are preparing for the worst around here. Hopefully it will break up some before it hits us. You be safe everyone, stay off the roads if you can.
Here down in Miami..likewise, stay safe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Looks like we're going to dodge a bullet. Still gonna get a lot of rain and wind, but it's not going to be the catastrophic event they were calling for 24 hours ago.

I'm glad I stocked up on supplies though. That thing could still decide to **** us.

Yeah, we are prepped over here. We are further inland, but it can still affect us here in Polk. I'm concerned about after the fact where it loops back because it could really cause an issue here in Florida.

This could be similar to what Andrew did back in '92.

The shift to the East is a good thing.

But the European computer model disagrees with the GFS and NHC forecast. It has the hurricane just off the coast of Wilmington before the shift East.

I've been watching closely. Forecast says it's going to rain from Thursday through Sunday, with tropical storm conditions Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If the NHC forecast brings Matthew closer to Wilmington, Jacksonville and Morehead, that's the difference between four inches of rain and 40 mph winds and 18 inches of rain and 80 mph winds.

Other thing that sucks is the way its going to loop around and hit again. The European model already has the storm hitting North Carolina on its second pass next weekend.
Yeah, we are prepped over here. We are further inland, but it can still affect us here in Polk. I'm concerned about after the fact where it loops back because it could really cause an issue here in Florida.

This could be similar to what Andrew did back in '92.
Are we even sure it's going to loop back yet? I thought that was still just a possibility.

I made it through Hugo back in '89. 75 miles inland (Sumter, SC) and we still had 125mph winds. That was enough for me for this incarnation. After that, y'all couldn't pay me enough to stay put if I was within 50 miles of the coast for a CAT 2, and probably 100 for anything higher than that. All I have to worry about this time in Columbia SC is dodging the Charleston refugees.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom