Hurricane Milton

Tornadic activity is always one of the more substantial, and less discussed, threats from these hurricanes.

Hurricane Ivan triggered a days-long tornado outbreak from Florida to Pennsylvania.

The feeder bands from Milton are producing an absurd amount of activity though. That's nine active warnings, and the warnings screen has been lit up like this all morning and afternoon.

tornadowarnings2.png

And the worst of the storm surge aspect is still to come.

The good news is it looks like it'll hit just south of Tampa Bay, so that area might get spared the worst. But areas along the Manatee River (Sarasota, Bradenton), Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, areas along the Caloosahatchee, not good. The backside of this storm is going to keep pushing that water in. I'm worried Lee County and Collier County (Ft. Myers/Naples area) because they have A LOT of elderly, retired people there who might not have been able to evacuate. And those areas were devastated by Hurricane Ian (another Cat. 4 storm) two years ago and also took a significant impact from Helene.

I've had Tornado warnings since 12 noon today for my area. This is a mean little bastard for sure. Some spotty down pore rains and a little wind so far.

I am expecting between 60 to 90 mph winds to start around midnight.

These Sons a bitches always hit here at night. The last one that did not was Charlie.

You ready for this @rd45usa ? I am as ready as I can get.

I've had Tornado warnings since 12 noon today for my area. This is a mean little bastard for sure. Some spotty down pore rains and a little wind so far.

I am expecting between 60 to 90 mph winds to start around midnight.

These Sons a bitches always hit here at night. The last one that did not was Charlie.

You ready for this @rd45usa ? I am as ready as I can get.
Sunshine up here in panhandle. Hope you fair well down there. Batten down the hatches! Seen many naders down south.

Sunshine up here in panhandle. Hope you fair well down there. Batten down the hatches! Seen many naders down south.

Wasn't sure where you were located in Florida, I'm 8 miles south of the Sebring race track. We got a lot of nader advisories starting at 12 noon, so far we are ok. Just listened to an update and for our area it was all good news. Not so much for folks between St Pete and Bradenton.

The ABC 28 Tampa meteorologist said that during the night, while the wind is blowing 50 to 60 miles per hour we would probably be able to see stars, weird right.

The hardest part is the waiting. My Bride and I didn't sleep well last night wondering if we have a home to return to. What we do know is that power and cell service are non-existent and the water and sewer service stopped until the storm passes and system checked. The water company stops service to protect the system to Manasota Key and they'll have that up and running quickly once power is restored.
We have two large oak trees in the side yard and with a constant drenching over the past month, the soil is saturated and concern the trees might topple.
It is daylight (Thursday) and no word or pictures other than what we learn from national reporting but they do not report on our small community of 366 homes.
Meantime we wait and despite repeated self-incriminations of knowing there is nothing we can do about it, that we took all appropriate measures before leaving to protect our property, we sit and stew.
Being retired has a few benefits. We get tons of time to fret over things we cannot control.

I'm on the west coast but follow these horrible storms and can't grasp how bad it must be for everyone. I feel so bad in so many ways. I hate wind anyway but this kind of thing goes beyond anything we get around here.

Typically, the wind isn't the problem, but Milton was a monster. Usually, those 80-100 mph (or higher) wind gusts are very concentrated with major hurricanes.

Milton's wind field was very large, and the tornadoes it spun up were unprecedented. Usually, you get some small, scattered tornadoes that don't do a lot of damage. But these things were EF2, EF3 tornadoes. VERY bizarre.

Storm surge and flash flooding are usually the primary problems with hurricanes. And both are getting worse because of climate change. With the water heating up and sea levels rising, these storms are carrying more rain, and since they're more intense, the storm surge is worse. And the sea level rise with climate change that's going to wipe out coastal communities one after another over the next few decades are going to happen in surge events like this.

A hurricane can go down from a Cat. 5 to a Cat. 2 in a day, but the storm surge is going to remain because it builds up for days and days.

I keep seeing posts and hearing stuff about how people are alarmed by how frequent these storms are now and how unusual this is. In reality, we were warned 30 years ago that, if substantial action isn't taken to curb carbon emissions and combat climate change, this is what would happen in 30 years. And here we are, right on schedule, and it will only get worse and worse.

Why Florida governor told FEMA they can help but run the cleanup in Florida.

Typically, the wind isn't the problem, but Milton was a monster. Usually, those 80-100 mph (or higher) wind gusts are very concentrated with major hurricanes.

Milton's wind field was very large, and the tornadoes it spun up were unprecedented. Usually, you get some small, scattered tornadoes that don't do a lot of damage. But these things were EF2, EF3 tornadoes. VERY bizarre.

Storm surge and flash flooding are usually the primary problems with hurricanes. And both are getting worse because of climate change. With the water heating up and sea levels rising, these storms are carrying more rain, and since they're more intense, the storm surge is worse. And the sea level rise with climate change that's going to wipe out coastal communities one after another over the next few decades are going to happen in surge events like this.

A hurricane can go down from a Cat. 5 to a Cat. 2 in a day, but the storm surge is going to remain because it builds up for days and days.

I keep seeing posts and hearing stuff about how people are alarmed by how frequent these storms are now and how unusual this is. In reality, we were warned 30 years ago that, if substantial action isn't taken to curb carbon emissions and combat climate change, this is what would happen in 30 years. And here we are, right on schedule, and it will only get worse and worse.

Back
Top Bottom