Hybrid technology coming to INDYCAR in 2022

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Also expected to act as an on-board starter, which was badly needed. Engine regs pushed back a year to 2022, aligning with the new chassis debut. Sounding like ~800 HP from the ICE at max boost and then 90-100 HP from the turbo and KERS on push-to-pass.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/08/08-01-INDYCAR-Hybrid

https://racer.com/2019/08/01/hybrid...e=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero
With the new rules being drafted now and the KERS system being added. ts cool, but how is this going to work for ovals? Should IndyCar go more of the ERS route where drivers are able to control the deployment of the ERS system with different modes? Or should they still with self-deployment with the time limit?

Still this is great and I hope it raises eyebrows of OEMs to take part because its needed badly. I can see Porsche, BMW, and maybe even Toyota getting into this. It all depends on who would want to be willing to commit to IndyCar long-term because Honda and Chevy have been fantastic. Just need a bit more combined interest from other marquees.

Also, another off the wall thought. What will this mean for IMSA? Will IndyCar and IMSA use similar KERS systems?

With the new rules being drafted now and the KERS system being added. ts cool, but how is this going to work for ovals? Should IndyCar go more of the ERS route where drivers are able to control the deployment of the ERS system with different modes? Or should they still with self-deployment with the time limit?

Still this is great and I hope it raises eyebrows of OEMs to take part because its needed badly. I can see Porsche, BMW, and maybe even Toyota getting into this. It all depends on who would want to be willing to commit to IndyCar long-term because Honda and Chevy have been fantastic. Just need a bit more combined interest from other marquees.

Also, another off the wall thought. What will this mean for IMSA? Will IndyCar and IMSA use similar KERS systems?
Frye said on Pruett’s podcast yesterday they have three or four options for ovals they’re looking at with potential suppliers. The one MP mentioned was with like Toyota’s LMP1 where the electric energy is used on pit road before the ICE kicks back in with it on track. Like you said it’ll be interesting if it’s something that can be mapped to different engine modes because I can’t imagine they’ll bring back P2P on ovals and they can regen a lot during pit stops. It could certainly be something they use across a part of a long stint.

IMSA had something lower voltage planned initially but now it sounds like something in the 90-120 HP range, but mostly because Ford are throwing a fit about it and more open development. Besides them and BMW it seems like many are okay with something lower voltage they can use mainly to tick a box.

Frye said on Pruett’s podcast yesterday they have three or four options for ovals they’re looking at with potential suppliers. The one MP mentioned was with like Toyota’s LMP1 where the electric energy is used on pit road before the ICE kicks back in with it on track. Like you said it’ll be interesting if it’s something that can be mapped to different engine modes because I can’t imagine they’ll bring back P2P on ovals and they can regen a lot during pit stops. It could certainly be something they use across a part of a long stint.

IMSA had something lower voltage planned initially but now it sounds like something in the 90-120 HP range, but mostly because Ford are throwing a fit about it and more open development. Besides them and BMW it seems like many are okay with something lower voltage they can use mainly to tick a box.
Okay cool, I wasn't the only one thinking that. More of a ERS, self-deploying method could be more efficient than P2P at this point. Although, P2P really adds a dynamic to the street course races though. In management and drivers using it in a timely manner. For instance, if Rosenqvist did not use his so early, he probably would have won at Mid-Ohio.

Maybe self-deployment for ovals and KERS (P2P) at the road courses and street courses would be a good idea IMO.

Also, Ford and BMW complaining is just normalcy.

Oh, good. Indycar wasn't expensive enough. Glad to see they are going to fix that.
Single-source should be reasonably priced for everyone. Its the way everyone is headed now, F1 and WEC were just ahead of the curve. NASCAR, IMSA, DTM, even BTCC and maybe Supercars will be adopting some form of hybrid system in the near future.

If it's a spec unit, what's the point? There's not going to be any development, so it's having a hybrid just to have a hybrid. It's a giant virtue signal.
Pretty much, but outside of manufacturers like Ford and BMW that’s basically what these guys are looking for - a box to tick. Other than the diehard fan no one’s going to know the difference between an off-the-shelf and bespoke unit. The average consumer will just see “hybrid” and think it’s neat and “green”.

If it really doesn't make IndyCar more expensive, I'm all for it.
I can't imagine the hybrid units will be free. They will be a completely unnecessary expense. Like, who gives a damm if you burn less methanol? It's a renewable source of energy. If you burn less gasoline, jolly good, but we're never going to run out of methanol.

............More horsepower can only be good for the sport
Bigger engines, more boost, more rpm, less restrictions. These are all good ways to go fast without making the cars more complex or expensive. Indycar was running faster in 1996 than we are today. What has happened is they keep slowing the cars down. If we went back to 1973 rules the cars would be doing 300mph. If we want to go fast again all they have to do is relax the rules a bit. We don't need expensive, unproven technology to go fast.

More manfacturers............ can only be good for the sport.
Until they get beat, cry about how it's too expensive, and then bail.

BMW was never really enthusiastic about motorsport. Can't imagine them entering IndyCar.
BMW has a history of dropping out when they can't win or otherwise get their way. If they want to commit and contract to 3-5 years, that's one thing, but as soon as they start getting waxed they will cry about things being too expensive and bail out like they have done with IMSA multiple times. We are better off trying to woo Toyota and Mercedes back, or get someone new like Nissan or Hyundai. BMW would be a step backwards.

Back
Top Bottom