I find it very interesting

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the most recent controversey, crew chiew quitting, Shawna bashing, etc. that the BAM car still sucked so bad that even Ron Hornaday failed to qualify.:(

Your thoughts, please???

MEOWWW???

I know what you mean Shawna is a good driver. It is like Jr said "shes a good driver, she just needs a car that will run competitivly every week."(or somethin like that)

My take Kat is simple. A rich fan who wants to own a Winston Cup car is way out of their league. Evidently, don't know much about the workings of a NASCAR team and for some reason won't listen to the people who do know. Maybe that team owner is just in it for the prestige of being an owner. In short: Wannabes.

kAT,I thank you are right,they both are not even in competition with the rest of the field.Including Ron in Winston.I am not bashing Shawna ,I am talking about her team,and I use the word team loosely. :)

Personally, I don't feel Shawna is ready for Cup. She needs to spend a few years in Busch first. Compounding the problem is that the cars she has to drive are just plain bad, and they don't belong in Cup either!

it's too bad for Shawna, because she could definately do something good in Winston Cup if she had some good equip.

Originally posted by FANOF5
it's too bad for Shawna, because she could definately do something good in Winston Cup if she had some good equip.

Think so Fan? Like what? She's not that good a driver.....average at best. I'm curious why you think she has something good to offer........just another driver trying to make it in Winston Cup!! Just like Casey Atwood (who is a better driver by the way)......could Casey do something good for Winston Cup? I'm afraid you are being politically correct........sorry Fan, just my thoughts!:(

i always root for the underdog, and maybe i was being politically correct................i have never seen Shawna drive in anything else, but i really think it would be tough to show your true colors on the track, if for one, you are fighting a crappy car all the time, and two, knowing that you are about to go out on a race track with 42 other well tuned drivers with much better equip must be hard to overcome.................i hope one day she is able to win a race...............i do value your opinion De Wrangler 2:D

Okay Fan.......you answered my question!! Thanks.......and I WAS NOT bashing Shawna. I think she's a mediocre to average driver and in good equipment she would do mediocre to average.........sort of like her occassional replacement, Ron Hornaday. That was all I wanted to point out.:)

These types of comparisons are always very difficult. Comparing records and accompishments especially with drivers who have so little time at the WC level is doubly challenging.

Try to simplify.

Ron Hornaday is a good driver. I have seem him drive at different levels including WC and his skills are more than adequate.

I have also seen Shawna drive both at the BGN and ARCA levels. In comparable equipment she has shown the ability to compete.

In the BAM car at both Charlotte and now Chicago, Ron has qualified the car just about the same relative to the rest of the field as Shawna has in the races she drove. I'm only talking speed here, not staring position. Note that Ron posted a speed faster than some full time teams who got in because of the provisional deal.

During the race at Charlotte, Ron was not able to make one competitive pass in the car. Through bypassing a pit stop he was able to postion the car near the front, but unable to maintain the spot at all. This despite the fact that Ron is regarded as one of the best "starters" in all stock car racing.

So is Shawna's competence somewhere near equal that of Ron's? In my opinion not very far off.

And Ron's record in WC is about average. DEI and Ganasi put good equipment under him. Ron and Shawna are about equal, I agree. But Ron has no full time ride......and, sorry to say, soon Shawna will have no full time ride either (if she even has one now!!). She needs to go back to BGN........get some experience and try again in a couple years. And I think Ron might think about that too.:)

when DEI put good equipment under him in the truck series, Ron did very well you may recall.

For one year DEI put him in BGN, but IMO that year was for Jr, and Ron got shorted. After that year, DEI folded the team and moved it to WC with Mikey, releasing Ron. Ron and Dale had pretty harsh words over that both being right stubborn, that is not surprising. After tempers cooled, Dale helped Ron find the WC ride with AJ Foyt. That car was then and is not now even approaching a winning caliber ride.

To declare that Ron is not ready for WC is a little harsh based on this histoiry. IMO

A good truck driver does not necessarily make a good stock car driver. Different animals all together. I don't think DEI short changed Ron for Jr either........just Ron didn't do as expected in the Busch series and Dale wanted to move the 15 car up to the Cup......Ron was not the driver that he wanted in that car. I'm sure partly because he didn't perform as good as expected. Not a slam against Ron......just he doesn't have in a car what he had in a truck. A business decision was made and naturely Ron wasn't happy. The ride in the 14 for Foyt was a good ride for Ron but he didn't do anything with it.......sorry, but A.J. Foyt is about as competetive person as you will ever see so I doubt it was equipment to blame. Might have been personalities but not equipment. Ron got released........he's average and Foyt wanted more (so did Dale). Ron is a good driver.......but not good enough at this stage to hold a full time ride in WC. That is my opinion.

Fair enough, out opinions will have to differ.

One question though, and this really is not about Ron. AJ is a cmpetitive person, that's beyond argument. He is also enjoying success in hsi oopen whell program. But based on what do you feel that his WC program is even decent? To my recollection nobody has done anything of note in that car.

I saw in an interview with Ron about the BAM car. He said everthing Shawna told the crew he felt the same things. She must be good enough to tell them what is wrong with the car, the crews not good enough to fix it. Some times it is best to pass on some rides, and BAM is one of them. She needs to find a good Busch car and see what she can do.

Originally posted by Tabasco
I saw in an interview with Ron about the BAM car.  He said everthing Shawna told the crew he felt the same things.  She must be good enough to tell them what is wrong with the car, the crews not good enough to fix it.  Some times it is best to pass on some rides, and BAM is one of them.  She needs to find a good Busch car and see what she can do.

Couldn't agree more Tab!!:)

My thoughts about Ron.....I watched him drive modifieds at Saugus for several years, late 70's early 80's. That man is a driver, though at that point he would sometimes push hard on the equipment. He did take some track championships home and a whole lot of trophies. What he did in the trucks he could do in the Busch or Cup cars. I don't think he's had A plus equipment. As far as A.J. I don't think he's as clear and focused as he once was, and he's a bull, very little finesse. I wouldn't want to be his driver, in his driving career I never saw him admit to any errors, always the other guys fault or even bashing his crew, he never set real well with me. I don't expect any good things from anyone who drives for his team, nor this BAM Racing bunch. I personally put stock in what Ron said about that team, Ron knows cars and set-ups.

Back
Top Bottom