I just thought this was funny...

Benevolent One

Team Owner
lard-pic.jpg

I'm old enough to remember the big bucket of lard my gran kept in the kitchen. Everything was either made with lard, or fried in lard. It was delicious.

There was nothing like a fresh killed chicken fried in Green Leaf lard for Sunday dinner. Talk about finger lickin' good.

In a neighboring town, Barberton, they have what they call Barberton Chicken. It is incredibly good, but it gets it's unique flavor from lard. I can't stand the thought of it anymore.

What!

You guys never had a birthday cake made with lard? Where have you'ns been? My older Aunts cooked with lard till they passed in the 80's. In many instances it is preferable to, ugh, vegetable oils.
Betsy:wub:

I love the date --- 1957. LOL

Biscuits made with lard had the best taste in the world. My gran's pie crusts were a thing of beauty.

And while we're remembering things, bacon grease. The little can by the stove that mom(and I) very carefully poured the grease after frying the bacon. That made fried eggs so special. And a little dab in green beans or collard/mustard greens were the bomb.

I love the date --- 1957. LOL

Biscuits made with lard had the best taste in the world. My gran's pie crusts were a thing of beauty.

And while we're remembering things, bacon grease. The little can by the stove that mom(and I) very carefully poured the grease after frying the bacon. That made fried eggs so special. And a little dab in green beans or collard/mustard greens were the bomb.

Oh yeah. My mom was a master of bacon grease. My dad even used to use bacon grease in cornbread. You are right though, there is nothing like eggs fried in bacon grease. My wife is freaked out by the idea, but it is awesome.

Bacon grease also works well when mixed with rock salt and packed into shotgun shells...;)

Back
Top Bottom