Well….. son of a ‘b’
Every four years in Pennsylvania you have to renew your drivers license. Mine was up for renewal the middle of this past January. Prior to that day, the PA Department of Transportation sends you a letter to remind you that you must take the Hazmat Endorsements Test in order to retain that endorsement on your drivers license. Prior to covid it was a very quick process. A few weeks from testing to the completion of your approval. That has since turned into a possible 6 month process. I took and passed the test last October. In turn they issue you a paper authorizing finger prints to be taken and submitted for a background investigation. You then go to an authorized fingerprinting location to have them taken and submitted for investigative purposes. Of course there’s a fee for each of these processes.
Jump to early December….. Getting closer to license renewal I went back to the DMV to check the status of the endorsement. I was told that the investigation was not complete. They told me that I could get my new license early if I wanted but the endorsement wouldn’t be on my license which would prevent me from hauling hazmat loads. I told them I’d wait. At the end of December I went back again to check the status. Again, I was told it’s wasn’t completed. Since I was going to go over the road for the month of January, I decided to renew my license. They assured me that once the investigation was completed I’d receive a new license in the mail at no additional cost.
Jump to last Thursday….. Still waiting in this new license, I called the PA Department of Transportation. After more than an hour on hold I finally talk to a guy that informs me that the investigation was cancelled at the end of January. No explanation as to why. They only knew that it was cancelled. The guy wrote up some kind of statement to his supervisor and told me I’d get a call within 24 hrs. Never happened. Well, it happens today. Turns out that the fingerprinting location never turned my prints in for the investigation. After 90 days from the time of the test, if the fingerprints aren’t received, the investigation is cancelled. It would have been awesome had there been some kind of communication that would have let me know that they were waiting in this information, allowing me time to take it up with the fingerprinting location. As it is, I’m probably going to have to start the entire process over again at the additional cost. It just sucks as I did absolutely everything that I was to do to complete the process.
When I do get back, I plan on going back in to the DMV armed with receipts and the like but I imagine I’ll be taking the test again. I guess it’s time to start studying….. again.