I Wish That I Had Never Used Steroids

muggle not

Team Owner
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/11/mark-mcgwire-admits-using-steroids-in-1998/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fmlb.fanhouse.com%2F2010%2F01%2F11%2Fmark-mcgwire-admits-using-steroids-in-1998%2F

Mark McGwire Admits Using Steroids

Far from election to the Hall of Fame in four chances and about to re-enter baseball after a long absence, Mark McGwire on Monday admitted to using steroids.

McGwire -- who set a single-season record with 70 home runs in 1998, a feat that is credited with helping baseball rebound from the 1994 players' strike -- said he used steroids in the 1989-90 offseason, 1993 and "on occasion throughout the nineties, including during the 1998 season" in a statement released by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Part of the statement reads:

I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I didn't take any and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry.

The team, for whom McGwire played in '98, had hired McGwire as hitting coach in October but had yet to face the media. His reputation took a major hit -- and the suspicion that he used steroids multiplied -- when in a 2005 hearing before a House of Representatives committee he declined to address the matter, saying only, "I'm not going to go into the past or talk about my past. I'm here to make a positive influence on this," and "My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family and myself."

Now he has answered the questions.

Except that The Associated Press reports that McGwire also used human growth hormone, citing a person close to McGwire as the source. McGwire did not mention HGH in his statement.

"I am pleased that Mark McGwire has confronted his use of performance-enhancing substances as a player," said commissioner Bud Selig in a statement. "This statement of contrition, I believe, will make Mark's reentry into the game much smoother and easier.

"The so-called Steroid Era -- a reference that is resented by the many players who played in that era and never touched the substances -- is clearly a thing of the past, and Mark's admission today is another step in the right direction."

McGwire ranks eighth all-time with 583 home runs, including 245 in a four-season span (1996-99). But in four appearances on the BBWAA Hall of Fame ballot, he has appeared on 23.5, 23.6, 21.9 and 23.7 percent of the ballots -- with 75 percent required for induction.

Much like Alex Rodriguez, who admitted to steroids use last year, McGwire blamed the culture of the time:

I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.

So Muggle, why did you use them? :D

I never played during the steroid area. Steroid use was way long after my time. :D

I believe it was good for mark to admit use, however, it was only a part admission.

1. He stated that steroids never helped his performance....yeah, right
2. He did not admit using HGH.
3. There appears to be other half-truths in his admission.

Reports are that other players 'who did not use' are upset at Mark for not coming completely clean. I have feelings for those players that did not use steroids. They have a right to be upset with the players that did use.

This is a surprise to no one, and comes about 10 years too late. If he really was sorry, he wouldn't have used them in the first place.

And so the slow decline of MLB continues.

I think the sooner these guys can admit what they did the sooner the MLB can move away from all the steroid talk and get back to the game.

I personaly dont think anyone that used any performance inhancements should be allowed in the HOF. I know alot of the guys who did it had HOF careers either way but you also have to think of Pete Rose. Most hits all time he still is under scrutiny and has not or may not ever get into the HOF and neither should Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Palmero, and the other juiced up players.

MLB has no balls. One way to stop steroid use is for them to make a statement:

Any player that has used steroids will not be eligible for the Hall of Fame and their records, if any, will have an asterisk * stating "steroid user".

MLB has no balls. One way to stop steroid use is for them to make a statement:

Any player that has used steroids will not be eligible for the Hall of Fame and their records, if any, will have an asterisk * stating "steroid user".

So i suppose then it was ok for all those player in the 40s, 50s, 60s , and 70 who were using speed, cocaine and alcohol as PEDs? There is no difference , just a different time. Players back in the day would amp up on greenies then go out and play, come down by getting drunk , then start the process all over again the next day. They abused their bodies, just like steroid users did during the steroid era, which by the way we haven't left yet. All the players that used should be eligible, their records should stand, they all played under the same rules, faced each other, and whether they did use or not should not be a factor in keeping them out of the Hall. If for instance it was an isolated incident where only a few players were doing this I can see keeping them out, but it was not an isolated incident. This was pretty much the norm form 1987-2004. The players of this era where on an equal playing field as far as I'm concerned because the majority of them were on PEDs. Do I like this, no, but that doesn't mean denying Bonds , as much of a jerk that he is, from the Hall is the right thing to do. Hopefully some day baseball will be clean , but that is a ways off I think.

I just can't see how you can keep some players out because they tested positive or especially because you think they did used steroids or HGH when we have no idea who all was using them. I'm sure many players who are in the hall used performance enhancing substances, but there is no way to tell for sure since baseball did not test for the stuff because they were making a lot of money off of guys like McGwire and Sosa. People say that McGwire using steroids kept him able to play and therefore allowed him to hit more home runs. The same could be said for guys like Kurt Gibson who was doped up on pain relievers for a bad knee so he could go out and hit a world series changing home run against McGwire's Oakland A's team.

Until Pete Rose is in the hall, the hall lacks a lot of credibility in my mind anyway. The all-time hits leader is not in, but cheating bigots like Ty Cobb are in. That's the kind of stuff that makes no sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom