If I could turn back time

fury

Internet god with an inferiority complex
Staff member
So Wednesday morning, April 6th, 2016 at just before 9 am, I saw some chatter among my company's chat that said "hey, the server seems broken". Since there's usually something wonky and we're kind of a casual "****'s on fire yo" sort of operation, that didn't alarm me until about an hour or two later when somebody at the datacenter looked at the server for me and saw a bunch of hard drive errors. I got there that afternoon to confirm and investigate. Uhh, yep, really broken. So, long story short, all the data on that drive is gone, and it contained about 6 sites' data, including this one. Here's the part where I really messed up - I haven't been keeping regular backups of everything. Latest I had was from when the site was moved over from an old server last year, which is March 2015. Some of my sites are just completely gone, I'm thankful I still had this copy of this one...

Data recovery guys tried everything they could but could not recover anything from the drive.

Just going to make one thing clear: this will never happen again. I should have had more respect for all of your time and effort in making this community the great thing that it is. Shame on me to brush off something as important as backing up. A simple set-it-and-forget-it database dump/download every so often would've turned this total disaster--that took us down for 2 weeks and lost all this data--into a minor few-hour inconvenience. I probably could've pulled the trigger on putting up this old copy of the site sooner, but I was holding out hope that they'd recover the data.

Speaking of simple set-it-and-forget-it backups, I will now be setting that up. I'll have at least 6 copies among 3 different places, as well as a cloud backup solution yet to be determined. I repeat, this will never happen again.

Anyone who donated to the recovery fund, expect to see your money back within a few days.

I've beaten myself up probably more than enough, now it's your turn to beat me up. :beerbang:

Glad the site is back. Too bad about the missing year; you could have at least claimed it was because you had mastered time travel.

This crash reminded me of a Tibetan sand mandala. They dump it in a river after completion.
good-overview-Friday-sm-520.jpg

Glad the site is back. Too bad about the missing year; you could have at least claimed it was because you had mastered time travel.
If I really could go back to March 2015, I'd tell myself not to buy this stupid car!

oh god I missed you RF!

and fury you are forgiven....you obviously care about this community

Never realized how much I like this site. It is so simple to use and there are so many great conversations about all types of racing. Thank you for getting it back up and running! Glad to be back!

No worries, Fury. I'll admit that it SUCKS that a year's worth of data is lost, but the most important thing is that this community is back and that's all that really matters to me. I commend you for putting so much effort towards attempting to recover all of the data.

Cheers :cheers:

I missed all you sombitches. Glad to see the board back up. @fury you are still a champion. Don't trip.

And like I saw on @TexasRaceLady Twitter, nothing that important has been said in the last year.. Lmfao.

@fury, I as well as everyone here appreciate everything that you do to keep this place running. This place is like an old dear friend to me. Glad we're back and don't beat yourself up, we'll survive I'm sure.

Thanks for all the efforts, @fury.

Now, can I have my screen name back? Please......

@fury
We appreciate you so much, don't ever doubt that. We are truly thankful for all you do and for this wonderful board you work so hard on.

Glad to you see you friends. I have missed you all very much. :)

Good to see you and Doc worked everything out with the lightning and the clock tower to get us safely back to good ol' 1985.

Also, apparently I'm new here.

Just going to echo what everyone has said so far, glad to have the forum back and thanks to @fury for providing it for us.

Fluffy, I'm disgusted at your failure. A full year's worth of anti-Danica posts gone to vapour. *shakes head* For shame. All those years reading my posts at HWC and JJRs about idiot users and how much money I made when they failed to back up. Years and years you read me. Well, here's your punishment. I bought an assortment of cheeses from the local fromagerie. Hard cheeses, soft cheeses, old cheeses and even goat cheese. And YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY!!

Next time, I'm gonna ram a cheese dildo up your arse and stake you out naked next to a mouse hole.

Now get over it. You think your the first to loose date? Remember to TEST those backups, regularly. I told you, I had one customer that was religious about his backups. Only thing was he wasn't actually backing anything up. If you need help, ASK!!! There's more than one of us that can help remotely.

We can't really complain about something that's free. Glad its back!

Almost everyone posting is being so good to fury. If nascar were hosting the forum there would be screams about how nascar doesn't give a hoot or that they planned this 'phantom crash' to create drama or to manipulate the outcome. If joey logano hosted the forum we would be in the middle of a full uproar.

Almost everyone posting is being so good to fury. If nascar were hosting the forum there would be screams about how nascar doesn't give a hoot or that they planned this 'phantom crash' to create drama or to manipulate the outcome. If joey logano hosted the forum we would be in the middle of a full uproar.
If it were sunny and warm in WI right now we'd say where the hell are we! :D:):p

Those people do it for the bucks, advertisement etc. @fury doesn't make a nickel out of this site. No spam, no ad's, just a place for us to come and play for free. So yeah, we give him props for getting the site back up.

Back
Top Bottom