If you wreck you are out

Also can't go to the garage to fix it. Must use original panels/parts and do the work on pit road.

Don't know how I feel about this one...

Also can't go to the garage to fix it. Must use original panels/parts and do the work on pit road.

Don't know how I feel about this one...
only good thing is less lapped cars for the leader to worry about!

Like:
  • Repairs are done on pit road for the spectators to see
  • Some kind of clock to put the pressure on the mechanics
  • Cuts out the "crash cart" and saves on parts costs for teams
Don't Like:
  • 5 minutes is too short to repair the cars safely, forcing a risky decision on CC's.
  • Drivers are going to have to be even more careful with their cars. Less contact is bad IMO.
  • You would think this wouldn't be necessary since positions 36-40 all only give 1 point.
  • Seems like an attempt to take the mechanics out of it, making it less of a team sport. Wrong direction
  • Only allowing 6 over the wall. The pit crews have become specialized as athletes not mechanics and that's a good thing IMO. Teams will have to send a different crew over and they might not have the proper safety equipment for pit road.
  • Arbitrary decision allowing "parts failures" to go behind the wall when wrecks can't.

You know that 'fix on pit road' is written in pencil ! Wait until a caution comes out and a car is jacked up on pit road with the handle sticking out.
Does this apply to parts failure? Like a blow rear gear?

The only part I really don't like is "fix on pit road". That could be dangerous for the crews. At least let them roll the car behind pit wall.
They've always worked on these moderately damaged cars on pit road. I don't think anything's going to change other than not having rolling garbage on the track.

I am surprised though..... I thought only John Wes Townley fans would be upset by this change? Heck, he may have been made aware of this upcoming change and that's the reason he decided to retire/

Some kind of clock to put the pressure on the mechanics

The thing is that 5 minutes is not enough time to even get warmed up. When you're talking car repairing you're usually replacing fenders and whole panels. That takes more than just 5 minutes, regardless of how fast you try to do it. It will take longer.

And that's not even taking into account that said parts need to be by the pit stall to begin with otherwise you'll burn your 5 minutes just getting whatever parts you need. I'm afraid this is yet another ill concieved rule that wasn't thought out well.

C4J6Qs2WAAANrOB.jpg:large

This is actually one of the aspects that made me reconsider leaving. I hope this is Brian France's way to explain away a huge reduction in debris cautions (may legitimately prevent some as well).

That said, the 5 minute rule will put a tremendous incentive on teams to come back out with shoddily repaired cars.

You know that 'fix on pit road' is written in pencil ! Wait until a caution comes out and a car is jacked up on pit road with the handle sticking out.
Does this apply to parts failure? Like a blow rear gear?
It does not apply to parts failures, only accident damage. Blow a rear gear and you can go behind the wall and work on it as long as you want before returning.

See the last bullet in post #21.

So a car can be on jackstands on pit road with crewmen under the car? Wait until someone bumps into a car and knocks it off the stands.
Could any repair that required jack stands be completed in 5 minutes in the first place? I'm not a mechanic, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

So a car can be on jackstands on pit road with crewmen under the car? Wait until someone bumps into a car and knocks it off the stands.

Statements like this are so ridiculous and people are just looking to complain seriously what do you think they could do in 5 minutes that would require jack stands if car is damaged that much it's done. This is simply States you're going to see repairs like adding bear Bondo pulling out fenders don't be ridiculous.

This is good for the sport, do you really think sponsors are happy to see a half torn up car with half of the name covered by tape and a blank Fender?no. running in the way of other cars? no. This will cut cost this will make it safer this'll bring hopefully less cautions. This doesn't take the mechanics out of it at all do you think the mechanics enjoy trying to put together a wrecked car that's not mechanic work that's putting a Band-Aid on a something that needs stitches mechanics are still tune them up all weekend long. Any reason to complain I suppose. And I guarantee no driver likes to go around there running minimum speed to collect one point that doesn't matter for a chase that you're pretty much locked into anyway.

Like:
  • Cuts out the "crash cart" and saves on parts costs for teams
Don't Like:
  • Only allowing 6 over the wall. The pit crews have become specialized as athletes not mechanics and that's a good thing IMO. Teams will have to send a different crew over and they might not have the proper safety equipment for pit road.
  • Arbitrary decision allowing "parts failures" to go behind the wall when wrecks can't.
So use some of that saved money to buy additional safety gear.

Cars with parts failures rarely shed bits and pieces when they come back out. Wreck-damaged cars often do, whether due to hasty repairs or unseen damage that wasn't repaired at all.

Statements like this are so ridiculous and people are just looking to complain seriously what do you think they could do in 5 minutes that would require jack stands if car is damaged that much it's done. This is simply States you're going to see repairs like adding bear Bondo pulling out fenders don't be ridiculous.
We've already seen jackstands on pit road. IMO, this will increase the occurrence an already dangerous practice.

This is good. No one wants to see wrecked cars riding around causing issues.

They won't. Those cars won't make minimum speed will be called in for the day.

This is a very good rule. Remember for instance when Brad was six laps down and took out a bunch of guys in contention at Dega a couple years ago? This eliminates that.

We've already seen jackstands on pit road. IMO, this will increase the occurrence an already dangerous practice.
So if we've seen jack stands on pit road before, then this new rule doesn't introduce any new safety issues in that area.

This is good for the sport, do you really think sponsors are happy to see a half torn up car with half of the name covered by tape and a blank Fender?no. running in the way of other cars? no. This will cut cost this will make it safer this'll bring hopefully less cautions. This doesn't take the mechanics out of it at all do you think the mechanics enjoy trying to put together a wrecked car that's not mechanic work that's putting a Band-Aid on a something that needs stitches mechanics are still tune them up all weekend long. Any reason to complain I suppose. And I guarantee no driver likes to go around there running minimum speed to collect one point that doesn't matter for a chase that you're pretty much locked into anyway.

A common theme by those in the know says that there is no cost savings in racing as any money saved by this initiative will spent elsewhere. Also companies and ad execs want to see their brand as often as possible regardless of circumstance.

A common theme by those in the know says that there is no cost savings in racing as any money saved by this initiative will spent elsewhere. Also companies and ad execs want to see their brand as often as possible regardless of circumstance.

Wrong and wrong.

It’s not a bad idea.

As long as a disabling damage for Derrick Cope isn’t just a scratch for a Hendrick car.

Back
Top Bottom