I'm Surprised, really surprised

Whizzer

Gig'em
It seems the biggest topics on this board since the race ended is about Biffle, Gordon and Harvick. Throw in a few "I'm so disappointed"and some ridiculous remarks about inconsequetial things like, "I don't like him" and the size of a drivers ears.

Yet the two most important things that happened in yesterdays race was the fiasco in the pit with Harvick's car and the aftermath of the Gordon crash. Not who won or lost or who did what to who on the track.

First, the fire in the pit area.
Note the fumbling attempt in trying (trying being the key word here) to extinguish the flames while there is still a source of fuel feeding the blaze. One fire person is standing behind the pit wall and no less than ten feet away spraying chemical above the flames, which disipate before getting to the source, and another fire person standing closer while accomplishing less.

It wasn't until someone came over the wall and directed the chemical at the source that the fire was extinguished.
Either poor training, fear, or an order from NASCAR, no one go over the pit wall other than those with credentials. But no matter the reason, it was a bad deal. One that must be dealt with, and soon.

Second case in point, and for the fans who say Jeff was whining in the
post- race interview, suck it up, because what he said has been his and other drivers crusade for several months.

The response time for an ambulance to reach a driver or injured team member is unacceptable. The situation Jeff was complaing about was the fact, if he had been injured, pointed out the time it took the emergencey crew to arrive and once they did, roads and escape routes for emergency services were blocked.

This was not "sour grapes" by Jeff Gordon, but a driver who sees the inadequacy of ingress and egress for emergency equipment. A serious problem.
Jeff Gordon was pointing out a real honest to goodness fact of the present situation of NASCAR using weekend emergency crews.
This is not to imply these crews are incapable, although in the case with the fire they showed little fire fighting experience, but the situation with the medical asistance is totally the control of NASCAR and no one else.

Sarcasm ??? You betcha. But there are times things of real importance should be recognized rather than berating the driver who broached the subject and saying he is whining. Jeff wasn't whining, but making a point for a damn good reason. I think he was more than 100 percent correct and addressing a bad situation.

Whizzer, I'm with you.

I watched that bizarre dance of the fire crew in the pits and was just astounded. I kept yelling "get over the wall!" They looked like they just flat didn't have a clue.

And Jeff's harsh words about the emergency crew and the traffic were right on. I hope he, and Ryan, keep right on talking. That was disgraceful.

I agree also:
1. Pit fire reaction was slow because they use local fire/rescue teams not a real NASCAR regular crew.
2. Jeff's response time is so slow due to the racing back to the yellow conditions that prevent a rescue team from entering a "hot" track.

It time NASCAR changes, before someone dies due to these safety shortcomings! Rant is over....

I would have to agree on both points. The reaction to the fire was a joke for even a county fire crew. Likewise the response time for the ambulance and the time it took to get to the care center just shows that in both cases Nascar needs to step up to the plate and start taking the safety of the pit and drivers a higher priority than having a test center that takes forever to decide on what to do. Have a system in place for fires in the pits should be mandatory. Likewise the waiting for the cars to decide to slow down before a rescue crew can get to a driver needs to be addressed now. If Ryans car would have caught on fire he wouldn't have got out of the car alive. However I don't think anybody should hold their breath waiting on Nascar to change things.

Originally posted by redrock@Aug 11 2003, 09:06 AM

2. Jeff's response time is so slow due to the racing back to the yellow conditions that prevent a rescue team from entering a "hot" track.

It time NASCAR changes, before someone dies due to these safety shortcomings! Rant is over....
This was racing to the checkered not to the yellow and the whole field was behind him, gotta be tough.

Originally posted by Whizzer@Aug 11 2003, 10:24 AM
First, the fire in the pit area.
Note the fumbling attempt in trying (trying being the key word here) to extinguish the flames while there is still a source of fuel feeding the blaze. One fire person is standing behind the pit wall and no less than ten feet away spraying chemical above the flames, which disipate before getting to the source, and another fire person standing closer while accomplishing less.

It wasn't until someone came over the wall and directed the chemical at the source that the fire was extinguished.
Either poor training, fear, or an order from NASCAR, no one go over the pit wall other than those with credentials. But no matter the reason, it was a bad deal. One that must be dealt with, and soon.
your right about that guy coming over the wall finally puttin out hte fire. The firemen weren't helping the situation at all. That person that jumped over the wall was actually a nascar official. Harvick's pit was 3 or 4 pits down from where we were sitting, and harvicks gasman and catchcanman were pretty smart in tossing the gas can and catchcan to the middle of pitt road...

Nascar needs to do something about the response of the safety crews to cars that have wrecked. Other major series (CART, ITL, F1) don't race back to the yellow, if Nascar did this safety crews could start heading towards a driver right after his car hits the wall instead of having to wait for the field to pass by.

I saw the race also....are you sure the guy behind the wall was trying to put the fire out from 10 feet away, or was he fogging the place for mosquitoes..Either way, he had no business wearing a fire fighters outfit. He had no clue on what to do.

Of course the location of the fuel filler dry break isn't exactly in an ideal spot either.

Wouldn't the center of the car, away from the hot exhaust, brakes, and sparks from the impact guns be much better from the safety standpoint?

One more item that needs to be addressed.
One more item that will get the needed attention when a couple of people are seriously injured or killed.

Oh well....

I believe that there are a lot of issues which need to be addressed by Na$car, but SAFETY should be first and foremost!

Remember Dale Jarrett walking back cuz it took the safety personell sooooo long to get to him?

A traveling safety crew IS the answer!

As are Safer Walls among other things.

BUT we will whine when the ticket prices go up again :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom