IMSA, NBC Sports Group Announce Six-Year Partnership To Begin In 2019

Discussion in 'Sports Car Racing' started by FLRacingFan, Apr 30, 2018.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Wow! This was a surprise. FOX was largely expected to retain the rights, from everything I read/heard. This will align IMSA's rights with NASCAR's NBC rights through 2024.

https://www.imsa.com/news/042018/imsa-nbc-sports-group-announce-six-year-partnership-begin-2019

2 Sweet and Charlie Spencer like this.
  2. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I've got a feeling NBC will end up retaining exclusive NASCAR rights next contract. Fox doesn't seem to be as interested in motorsports as they were even three years ago.

jws926 and FLRacingFan like this.
  3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

4. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

FOX and NASCAR have been in bed together for a long time, but I could see this happening. FOX has so many other sports properties now that NASCAR could probably be expendable for them. NASCAR is huge for NBCSN.

Speedbowl14 and jws926 like this.
  5. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I can hope the Rolex is on in it's entirety on one channel :pbjtime:

6. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

"... what is currently known as the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge ..."
    I missed something. Is Continental dropping only its sponsorship of that particular series, or it pulling out of IMSA entirely?

7. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Michelin won the tire contract from 2019 onwards. So CTSCC becomes the Michelin SportsCar Challenge, and they're also sponsoring the Michelin Endurance Cup (currently Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup).

GTLM will still be an open tire formula, but everyone there runs Michelins already anyways.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  8. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This year:

FOX - 5 hours
    FS1 - 26.5
    FS2 - 33
    FSGo exclusive - 12.5

2019-:

NBC - 9
    NBCSN - 45+

That's a lot more exposure.

9. AndyMarquisLive

NBC would probably love to have the Daytona 500 as well.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  10. AndyMarquisLive

Great points here. NBC has been more than just a broadcaster, they've really been a partner with IndyCar, and NASCAR and even the NHL and the Premier League. They seem to be committed to motorsports moreso than anyone right now.

Plus, NBC has CNBC and MSNBC for overflow and these channels are in way more homes than FS2.

Charlie Spencer and FLRacingFan like this.
  11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Pruett: FS2's purgatory...for sure

Charlie Spencer and FLRacingFan like this.
  12. jws926

jws926 I need to think of something new for here

This is great for IMSA

FLRacingFan likes this.
  13. jws926

You can really see it this year with their coverage of just NASCAR, you can see they are slowly losing interest in motorsports.

14. nickp

nickp Team Owner

I hope NBC IMSA coverage is better than Fox's

FLRacingFan likes this.
  15. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

I ******* love NBC

FLRacingFan and jws926 like this.
  16. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

I can’t see Fox dropping NASCAR. Quite simply unlike NBC and CBS they do not have golf for that Sunday daytime programming

17. AndyMarquisLive

Fox has the U.S. Open.

They have several other valuable sports properties as well.

18. Charlie Spencer

Yeah, they have that NFL thingie, don't they?

AndyMarquisLive and jws926 like this.
  19. jws926

Yeah, I think a few people watch it

20. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

FS1 and FS2 had become so crowded with live motorsports events it really had become
    a cluster recently especially with weather delays or overtimes. NBC does a good job and
    I am glad they are taking some of the load from Fox. I like them both equally however.

Bottom line, I am just glad IMSA has made it through some really hard times.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  21. Barbara Charles

Barbara Charles Team Owner

I enjoy the presenters on Fox.

22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I've read they may bring some of them over to NBC. Hopefully Brian Till and Calvin Fish go over.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  23. AndyMarquisLive

I think Mis was talking about spring/summer sports.

Mispeedway15 and Charlie Spencer like this.
  24. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

JMO but FOX should probably invest more in golf. Their US Open coverage is so unrefined. Like when they had only the BCS for college football and their coverage was just awkward and sloppy.

25. Charlie Spencer

So it's not just my Darling Bride and I. We also think Fox' golf coverage isn't up to NBC / Golf Channel. Their cameramen have trouble following the ball in the air and then finding it on the ground.

Some people might cut Fox some slack because they only cover one event, but CBS only covers one and its Master coverage is the gold standard. I don't think Fox should invest more in their golf coverage, I think they should get out of it entirely.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  26. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Yeah football is easily the shortest sports season. Starts in September, ends for most on Christmas, and is completely done by the beginning of February

27. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

They have it through 2026 or something right? I think if they're committed that long they may as well pick up a few other tournaments here and there.

28. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner