In the Rain

T

thechase77

I think it would be great to watch the winston cup drivers take on the Glen or Sears Point in the rain. I've heard people say the cars are too powerful and heavy, but the Corvettes in the ALMS do it. They may not be designed for rain, but no race cars are designed for rain. I think it would totally take budget out of the picture and show us who can really drive a race car.

Jeff Hammond had this to say about running in the rain and I'll agree as he knows far more about this than I do

Jeff Hammond: We tried rain tires at Watkins Glen and Sears Point, and I can tell you from personal experience, it's a very nerve-racking and dangerous thing to race in the rain with these big race cars and the horsepower that we run. I'm sorry that it messes up your day at home or in the stands, but the teams and the drivers don't need to be racing in the rain with or without windshield wipers and tires. These cars are just not designed for it, and I hope and pray it never comes to a point where we have to try to get a race in to meet the demands of the packed schedule. It's an issue of safety, and we can't lose focus on making safer race cars.

I agree that it would be interesting to see on the road courses what kind of racing it would offer, tho I personally think that if they ever do decide to utilize the special tires that Goodyear has come up with that we will see follow the leader racing for lack of experience. Pretty much all Cup drivers have come from backgrounds that prohibited rain racing and for good reason. For safety's sake let Mother Nature decide just as she has in the past.

I hate the Monday racing tho, and I wish that the schedule allowed for rescheduling for a different weekend rather than Mondays. I am purely selfish in that wish tho since I HAVE to work Mondays :p

I wonder what Goodyear did with the treaded tires that they developed last season?

Kel

I remember them testing rain tires at the glen, I also remember them using them for a practice session at suzuka japan. there were some spins but it looked kinda cool. I think it would make a great race to see how they adapt to conditions. similar to richmond earlier this year and louden in july.

Back
Top Bottom