Indianapolis, Pocono and California become double points races.

Well, Indy, Pocono and Fontana were the "triple crown" races from last year, so that's probably their reasoning. They're probably trying to pump up the ratings for Pocono and Fontana.

It is a crappy decision. I always liked how (not including the Split) IndyCar was a mix of ovals and road courses. You had to be good at both disciplines to win the championship. This gives oval racers a big championship advantage. I wonder what Will Power and Simon Pagenaud think about this.

18 races in 14 cities they have to give double points in those races to equal what the drivers used to get racing in 25 races. IndyCar is going backwards since they rehired George. George has no new ideas like Bernard did, plus Bernard didn't bow down to the car owners.

I know I'm going to piss off the Danica haters but I think IndyCar screwed up by pushing Danica out. Danica brought attention to the series and the fans that followed her moved over to NA$CAR. The 6 years she was in IndyCar she won the most popular driver award every one of those years. With the attention the series got with her in it they had a huge chance for new sponsors.

It is a crappy decision. I always liked how (not including the Split) IndyCar was a mix of ovals and road courses. You had to be good at both disciplines to win the championship. This gives oval racers a big championship advantage. I wonder what Will Power and Simon Pagenaud think about this.
12 road course/street circuit races to 6 oval races, so this basically brings it closer to an even split at 12 and 9.

Whew, Thank the Lawd! When I read the thread title I instantly thought !#/¢%~¿ Brian.....

hope it doesn't ruin last race excitement for title they've had in past.
I hope not. The IndyCar points system produced close battles in the finale without any gimmicks for years.

Anyone else see they're awarding points for both days of Indy 500 qualifying, too?

18 races in 14 cities they have to give double points in those races to equal what the drivers used to get racing in 25 races. IndyCar is going backwards since they rehired George. George has no new ideas like Bernard did, plus Bernard didn't bow down to the car owners.

I know I'm going to piss off the Danica haters but I think IndyCar screwed up by pushing Danica out. Danica brought attention to the series and the fans that followed her moved over to NA$CAR. The 6 years she was in IndyCar she won the most popular driver award every one of those years. With the attention the series got with her in it they had a huge chance for new sponsors.
How did IRL push Danica out? Dancia left for greener pastures in NASCAR. Can anyone argue that Dancia hasn't gotten greater exposure in NASCAR? Dario Franchitti tried doing the same thing.

Not that anyone was crying in IRL when Danica left, but I think they knew they were going to lose some exposure.

The ratings aren't any worse than in Danica's final years in the series. She merely provided the series a shot in the arm. If she would've been successful in the series, that might be a different story. Instead, she got one win in the most unimportant race in IndyCar Series history - a race so unimportant it was shown on a third-tier television network.

Back
Top Bottom