Indy 500 Practice and Qualifying

wilson89

Team Owner
The 1st practice session for the Indy 500 was held earlier today with team Penske putting up the 3 fastest times.

Day 1 top speeds

1st - Power 223.057
2nd - Montoya 222.502
3rd - Castroneves 222.373
4th - Hildebrand 222.200
5th - Hunter Reay 222.134
6th - Viso (Hinchcliffe's replacement) 222.105

Other notables

11th - Munoz (Fastest rookie) 220.581
12th - Kurt Busch 220.352
14th - Villeneuve 220.070
19th - Marco 218.447
22nd - Sage Karam 217.310
24th - Martin Plowman (Slowest Car to run today) 216.165

24 cars took to the track today. Among those absent were the 3 Coyne cars of Wilson, Huertas, and Mann. And 3 of the 4 KV cars were absent today, only car that logged laps was Townsend Bell.

Day 2 of Indy 500 practice concluded earlier. Today 5 of the top 10 drivers were from Andretti Autosport

Day 2 top speeds

1st - Hunter-Reay 225.025
2nd - Marco 224.037
3rd - Castroneves 223.635
4th - Wilson 223.611
5th - Montoya 223.395
6th - Munoz 223.172

Other notables

7th - Aleshin (fastest rookie) 223.120
9th - Kurt Busch 222.770
15th - Will Power (He was P1 on day 1) 221.735
25th - Pippa Mann 220.206
26th - Bourdais 220.116
30th - Kimball (Slowest car today) 218.229

30 cars took to the track Monday. The only 3 drivers yet to turn a lap are Buddy Lazier, James Davidson, and Sebastien Saavedra. Dixon and Kanaan both logged over 100 laps or half the race distance in practice laps Monday. 26 of the 30 cars hit the 220 mark.

These cars have a hell of a lot more speed to start the month this year than they did last year. Appropriate. We might be real close or over 230 on pole day.

Kurt Busch has to be giddy. So hyped for him. Pulling for him and Montoya all month I do believe.

These cars have a hell of a lot more speed to start the month this year than they did last year. Appropriate. We might be real close or over 230 on pole day.

Kurt Busch has to be giddy. So hyped for him. Pulling for him and Montoya all month I do believe.

Power said he thinks they will get to 230 mph. Which is insane!

Now that Simona is gone I root for Montoya, its Kurt all the way for the Indy 500 though. Cant believe we are actually pulling for the same drivers, thats a rarity :)

230 is insane, they gotta be outta their trees to drive one of those cars that fast

Day 3 of practice was cut short due to rain. But there was still no shortage of on track activity. 30 cars took to the track once again before the rains came.

Day 3 top speeds

1st - EJ Viso 224.488
2nd - Kurt Busch 224.159
3rd - Montoya 224.115
4th - Hunter-Reay 223.613
5th - Marco 223.605
6th - Dixon 223.235

Other notables

15th - Kanaan 221.972
18th - Power (Faster car day 1) 221.610
22nd - Villeneuve 220.890
30th - Saavedra 208.985 (Slowest car of day 3, also it was his first laps turned in practice this week)

Buddy Lazier and James Davidson are the only two drivers yet to turn a lap. Lazier is set to run tomorrow and Davidson should be on the course by Thursday.

Kurt Busch isnt messing around, I will do multiple backflips if he wins this thing......................

Day 4 of practice was not a very good day. Rained all morning and the track was dried with just two hours of daylight remaining. Practice came to a halt mid way through for Jack Hawksworth who crashed. He was cleared to drive again after hard contact. Shortly after they went back to practice rain returned and the practice session ended. Kurt Busch did not practice today, he flew back to Charlotte during the rain delay thinking there would be no practice session. 29 cars took to the track today, still no Buddy Lazier or James Davidson. But we did have a driver reach the 226 range today and every driver except Will Power hit 221. And every driver but Will Power ran there fastest lap of the week today.

Day 4 top speeds

1st - Pagenaud 226.122
2nd - Hildebrand 225.854
3rd - Dixon 225.494
4th - Castroneves 225.340
5th - Aleshin 225.310
6th - Briscoe 225.276

Other notables

12th - Viso 224.731
14th - Carpenter 224.492
17th - Bourdais 224.307
25th - Rahal 222.152
27th - Villeneuve 221.682

Castroneves cracks 227 mph today. Fast Friday is tomorrow. Who's going over 230 mph?

Good day today all 33 drivers were on the track today. Hinchcliffe did not log any laps but he has been medically cleared and will practice tomorrow. Hawksworth only ran 1 lap in his repaired car but the team will be out tomorrow logging laps.

Thursday top speeds

1st - Castroneves 227.166
2nd - Carpenter 226.257
3rd - Power 225.899
4th - Bell 225.484
5th - Hunter Reay 225.340
6th - Kanaan 224.836

Other notable speed

9th - Busch 224.739
10th - Pagenaud 224.655
12th - Marco 224.643
28th - Viso 222.782
31st - Buddy Lazier 218.277 (First day of practice)
32nd - James Davidson 217.052 (First day of practice)

Hinchcliffe will replace Viso tomorrow. Also there is word going around Katherine Legge has money for a 34th car but no team will help her. Also new engines tomorrow for fast Friday that will give many cars a boost. 230 may be reachable.

Longtime IndyCar fan here but recently I started getting bothered by something.

They never lift at Indy. Ever. It's pretty much a restrictor plate track with spec cars. I guess the dirty air affects them somewhat during races (and that can be nasty in open wheels), but I just think all this practice is.... basically worthless.

At least until they open up the rule book for ovals. Indycar can stay spec on road courses. But these oval races need some technology.

Longtime IndyCar fan here but recently I started getting bothered by something.

They never lift at Indy. Ever. It's pretty much a restrictor plate track with spec cars. I guess the dirty air affects them somewhat during races (and that can be nasty in open wheels), but I just think all this practice is.... basically worthless.

At least until they open up the rule book for ovals. Indycar can stay spec on road courses. But these oval races need some technology.

Would be neat to see turbo...always liked that about early F1

Got to thinking about how awesome it is to have one of the Busch brothers competing in the Indy 500

Go Kurt !!

I like the new qualifying format. This weekend had been pretty boring the last few years with the declining car counts.

I love these cars on this racetrack. Last year's 500 was the best race of the year anywhere. And qualifying is sketchhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mother ******, I forgot Indy was in EST and tuned into see ABC going to a basketball game. I've been there plenty of times, you'd think I'd know that by now. Damn it.

Oh well, don't like Ed Carpenter because he's Tony George's stepson, but the guy can zoom around Indy. Congrats to him and his little upstart team.

Google says her name is Kirsten Dee. A former "Miss Hawaiian Tropic Australia".

james-hinchcliffe-kirsten-dee-02.jpg

Kirsten+Dee+Miss+Hawaiian+Tropic+Australia+1QenlC9sxuEl.jpg

My reaction:

I watched todays qualifying on the DVR and FF almost all the actual non qualifying stuff except for the touching Sam Schmidt clip.

I really miss the bump days and the fleeing last hour. I guess they had to do something the day of 50 plus solid serious entraints is gone forever.

I will not hammer the open wheel management too much. Robin Miller and others here have a better grasp and can cover that better.

May used to have a mystic magical feel, the whole freaking month. But I also know my expectations are probably unrealistic, back in the day I was younger too and my impression abilities were not as desensitized. But
guys like Foyt, the Unsers, Johncock were gods that masterd the beastly cars. Hollywood never fabricated better badasses than those real genuine articles imo.

Maybe I am schizo, while lamenting the lost glory the thought " Wheldon, Wheldon" becomes more intense. Three years ago, he drove his ass off, kept the hammer down and forced a driver error and put a one off deal in victory lane, one the greatest racing moments ever imo. And the happiness he displayed afterwards, conveyed the importance or magnitude.

It can happen again, I have already got the day off work to see it all (at least on TV). I hope Jim Nabors sings back home in Indiana, it is always the moment when I realize it is all fixing to happen, it is all back on. He is getting old and I will miss the performance when he is gone.

I hope Jim Nabors sings back home in Indiana, it is always the moment when I realize it is all fixing to happen, it is all back on. He is getting old and I will miss the performance when he is gone.
It's my understanding that Jim Neighbors has announced that this will be his last year.

Back
Top Bottom