Indy 500 Starting at Original Time ?

D

DanicaFan

Well, it appears that talks have been opened about having the Indianapolis 500 starting at 11:00 AM instead of 1:00PM. 11:00 AM was the original time the race started for years. This time gave NASCAR drivers the option to run both this race and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.

Owners and personnel of IndyCar teams have brought this idea up in a meeting.
Here is an excerpt of an article..

JOLIET, Ill. -- The Indianapolis 500 will return to its more traditional start time -- 11 a.m. -- if some influential IndyCar Series team owners have a say in it.The leaders of Team Penske and Andretti Green Racing said Saturday they support a change back to the earlier start time to help the event attract NASCAR drivers, which they figure would boost television ratings for the 500.
Currently, the 1 p.m. start at Indianapolis Motor Speedway does not allow enough time for drivers to complete the 500 miles and then fly to Concord, N.C., for the Sprint Cup Series night race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Team Penske president Tim Cindric brought the subject up in an owners meeting held with Indy Racing League officials prior to the race at Chicagoland Speedway.
"It's worth one (ratings) point, at least," Cindric said after the meeting.
Tony Stewart, Robby Gordon and John Andretti have competed in both races on the same day, Gordon the last in 2004. It was the fifth time Gordon had competed in both races.

I think this would be great. Be interesting to see who would all give it a go. I guarantee Sam Hornish Jr. would be doing it.

hornish, robby, andretti, tony possibly, menard, aren't there some other open wheelers?

Oh I'd REALLY like to see "the double" again. I hope this happens!

I want to see the return of "the double" too. Heck, if they moved the start time of the Monaco GP up a little, it might be possible for someone to attempt a "triple."

That would be amazing, but probably just a dream.

Back
Top Bottom