IndyCar announces more powerful engine formula to be used starting in 2021

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
It's about damn time. More great work by Jay Frye putting this together, and thanks to Chevy and Honda for being on board.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/05/05-19-INDYCAR-engine-regulations-2021

Beginning in 2021, INDYCAR engines will produce more power due to a new configuration, the sanctioning body announced today.

The 2.4-liter, twin-turbocharged V-6 engines are projected to generate at least 100 more horsepower than the current 2.2-liter platform, with more than 900 horsepower achieved in the 2.4-liter formula when using push-to-pass overtake activation.

Providing stability for the Verizon IndyCar Series and its competitors, the engine regulations will be in place for six years, through the 2026 season. INDYCAR has utilized the 2.2-liter, turbocharged V-6 formula since 2012, with exclusive use of twin turbos since 2014.

It's about damn time. More great work by Jay Frye putting this together, and thanks to Chevy and Honda for being on board.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/05/05-19-INDYCAR-engine-regulations-2021

I like the engine formula, but could we get just a slight increase in RPM to 15,000? I'm hoping FCA will confirm Alfa joining the fold soon, Chevy and Honda have been patient with INDYCAR in outstreching themselves to all the teams with engines. I just wish the other brands like Toyota, Merc, and Ford were more keen in jumping back into IndyCar.

I find it hard to believe that they would want that. They can't keep the cars down on the track now and haven't for years. It's like Penske said 20 years ago, those cars will only go so fast around Indy and they just about hit their limit back then.

They might want more horsepower for the straightaways to pass, but they better have some big brakes for the corners.

Remember Mario going airborne? Castroneves? Remember Mike Conway/Ryan Hunter Reay? I'd say 230 is about the limit. Maybe a little more.

They better get some extra paint for that wall on Turn #1.

:D

And have you noticed they've removed the rear bumpers behind the rear wheels that they put on the cars after Dan Wheldon's death? All these guys screamed about safety and now they want more speed?

Well enough of a rant. We'll see what happens.

I find it hard to be excited about this. We won't notice a difference.

I like the engine formula, but could we get just a slight increase in RPM to 15,000? I'm hoping FCA will confirm Alfa joining the fold soon, Chevy and Honda have been patient with INDYCAR in outstreching themselves to all the teams with engines. I just wish the other brands like Toyota, Merc, and Ford were more keen in jumping back into IndyCar.
Don't think Ford will ever get back in until Edsel Ford II kicks the bucket. Any German manufacturers, probably not likely if they're really planning on banning ICE by 2030.

Really hoping for FCA or another Asian manufacturer.

I find it hard to believe that they would want that. They can't keep the cars down on the track now and haven't for years. It's like Penske said 20 years ago, those cars will only go so fast around Indy and they just about hit their limit back then.

They might want more horsepower for the straightaways to pass, but they better have some big brakes for the corners.

Remember Mario going airborne? Castroneves? Remember Mike Conway/Ryan Hunter Reay? I'd say 230 is about the limit. Maybe a little more.

They better get some extra paint for that wall on Turn #1.

Brakes are definitely going to have to be worked on. That whole package in 2021 is probably going to be brand new - engine, aero, chassis, etc. They're already pushing the limit on brakes from what I've heard from people like Mike Hull.

Breaking the IMS records is probably something they're aiming for. Last year was the fastest they've gone since '96 so it could be within reach.

Biggest difference at street circuits, IMO. Will Power said with the DP01 they'd be wheelspinning from the exit of the fountain complex at Long Beach all the way down to turn 4. Those street circuits already have so much less grip than typical road courses, and slower, tighter corners. They're gonna be a bitch to drive on. Ovals are gonna require a lot more lifting/braking input too, I think.

Don't think Ford will ever get back in until Edsel Ford II kicks the bucket. Any German manufacturers, probably not likely if they're really planning on banning ICE by 2030.

Really hoping for FCA or another Asian manufacturer.

I want to see Kia/Hyundai give it a shot. Also, Mazda would be cool (never going to happen), Nissan, but alas we will never know until the time comes.

I wonder what Cosworth is going to do with the older spec engines they have? Considering regulations will changing soon.

Maybe the manufacturers will be excited, which is probably why Indycar went this way.

I'm happy with the cars the way they are right now and hate to see them risk screwing that up.

Back
Top Bottom