Indycar car designs

R

rob2001

Hey buddies.

I guess you´ve already talked about this, but can anyone halp me understanding the basics of the Indycar changes in the car?

Going from
imgres
to
imgres

I guess some dudes like the new design whereas some don´t. I was reading an article where Paul Trazy says he doesn´t like it very much and I wonder if these changes are because of technical improvements or just to give the series a futurist look.

Thanks a lot.

Probably some of both. The new chassis is safer and cheaper. They also took some downforce out of the DW12 vs. the IR-05, to slow the cars down and make them safer on ovals. The futuristic look thing is probably also intentional. Compared to IndyCars, NASCAR machines are about as high-tech as a 1955 Chevy. The space age design probably is to highlight the fact to fans and sponsors that these cars are on the cutting edge of automotive design.

But, a lot of people don't like them. I happen to think they look great, but seems like everybody and their mother thinks they look dumb. Somebody on Speed's website called them "pickup trucks designed by Pablo Picasso" which made me laugh. For some reason, the aero cowling that comes up from the sidepods to cover the rear wheel seems to be the most controversial part of the new car. People seem to hate them or love them.

Thanks buddy.

That´s right, that aero cowling that comes up from the sidepods to cover the rear wheel is what I´m talking´about.

First time I saw it, I thought I got the wrong channel and instead of watching Indycar I was watching GrandAm Series...
imgres

The front of the car remains quite similar to what it used to be, but the rear....

Listen, I have another doubt: How´s IndyCar´s popularity in the states? I´m asking this because in Mexico is not what it used to be. Mexican race fans used to talk tons about Indy, yet not anymore. Is it the same in the states?

Thx

Yes, popularity has dropped dramatically here. All the in-fighting and splits and mergers and boycotts and lockouts practically killed the popularity of IndyCar. The Indy 500 still gets good TV ratings and attendance but every other race TV ratings are terrible and many tracks the attendance is terrible as well.

Wow, sounds as back to the years when Champcar and Mr. George were fighting for the control, right?

I'm fine with the front of the car, it's a sharp F1 look. The rearend of the current design is what I don't like. I understand those boxes behind the rear tire's are there to prevent ride up but they could trim it a little so it's not as big, I think it would still serve it's purpose. Also the rear wing on the road car is odd shaped, they ought to straighten it out, like make the drop downs square, that would look better IMO. On the speedway cars, get rid of that fin on the rear boxes, flatten out the rear boxes and make the rear wing look more like it use to. The way the cars look right now, it's almost like when they going down the track that they're gonna take off...

I am ok with the car, and I want to respect the contributions the late Dan Wheldon made to enhance the safety..

The thing I most dislike is the single one size fits all look. Innovation is tough to manage or regulate in todays era.
But the different looks and sounds are missed.
Not sure what can be done and once again safety is paramount.
Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom