IndyCar, F1 up, NASCAR down in ratings

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
NBCSN reports that it has averaged 390,000 viewers for IndyCar coverage thus far in 2014, up 34% from the comparable point last year (291K). The network has had similar success with its F1 coverage: Over the first six races on NBCSN, F1 has averaged 377,000 viewers – up 111% from the first six races of the 2013 F1 season (179,000 viewers). This weekend's British Grand Prix airs live on CNBC, however, although NBCSN will re-air the Silverstone race later in the day.

The NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, meanwhile, continued a recent downward trend in ratings for NASCAR's top series. TNT's telecast of the Saturday night race earned a 2.3 rating and 3.6 million viewers, down 12% in ratings and 10% in viewership from last year (2.6, 4.0m). It was the lowest-rated regular Sprint Cup telecast since September 2012, (a 2.2 at Loudon and Dover).

According to Sports Media Watch, of the 15 Sprint Cup races that can be compared to last year (excluding two rainouts), 14 have had declines in ratings and 12 have had declines in viewership.

TNT has the solution? sell more advertising, we need more commercials and less racing.

http://racer.com/latest-stories/item/104993-indycar-f1-up-nascar-down-in-ratings

Yeah, NASCAR still has about 10x more viewers and IndyCar's ABC ratings were flat this year, not counting the 500 which say a minuscule bump thanks to Kurt Busch.

good thing to see numbers going up if you are a racing fan. Don't want to lose any more racing series IMO
Viewership slightly up on ABC and well up on NBCSN. Regardless of whether or not IndyCar ever rivals NASCAR again, it's good to see the series in better health. I finally had the opportunity to go to the race at St. Pete this year and the crowd surpassed my expectations. Hopefully the series can parlay this into offers from more venues and a better TV contract after 2018 (I'm hoping for a separation from ABC for some NBC broadcast events).

hate all nbc news stuff....but thinkin nbc is gonna be good for racin .....in yrs ta come.
bigger slice of their sports pie vs other networks.
we'll see.

I'm still hoping that a cross platform network will pick up where speed left off and have a dedicated automotive/racing network only better. Cover dirt sprints, dirt trucks, midgets, cycles, V8 Supercars, etc. One can dream.

The rain at Daytona today didn't help NASCAR in this category at all...

Viewership slightly up on ABC and well up on NBCSN. Regardless of whether or not IndyCar ever rivals NASCAR again, it's good to see the series in better health. I finally had the opportunity to go to the race at St. Pete this year and the crowd surpassed my expectations. Hopefully the series can parlay this into offers from more venues and a better TV contract after 2018 (I'm hoping for a separation from ABC for some NBC broadcast events).

ABC has GOT TO GO. Nothing to do with their coverage either. This contract that states that NBC can only be shown on NBCSN (or CNBC on rare occasion) and can't be shown on broadcast is terrible. The Indianapolis 500 does not have to be on ABC.

Any chance Fox would do some open wheel? Seems like they'll take all the Nascar they can get... why not pick up some IndyCar?

Any chance Fox would do some open wheel? Seems like they'll take all the Nascar they can get... why not pick up some IndyCar?
They actually ran 1 or 2 IRL races back 1999 as I recall. I think the US GP was on network Fox for a few years as well.

Anyway, with the monster amount of money they just spent on NASCAR and IndyCar's middling TV ratings, can't see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom