IndyCar Final at California (Pre-Race Thread)

Didn't you say within the last few years NASCAR should end at labor day?

Didn't you say within the last few years NASCAR should end at labor day?

NASCAR doesn't traditionally start in late MARCH either. From the sounds of things though, IndyCar will start back up in February. And IndyCar racing is better, IMO, than NASCAR. And IndyCar doesn't have a 36 race season.

The point I'm trying to make is get off my lawn.

Casaemcasa.jpg

I see no, NO TRESPASSING sign.

NASCAR doesn't traditionally start in late MARCH either. From the sounds of things though, IndyCar will start back up in February. And IndyCar racing is better, IMO, than NASCAR. And IndyCar doesn't have a 36 race season.

The date for Indycar in St. Petersburg, Florida has already been set. March 27-29, 2015. So, the first race will be on the 29th. The last weekend of March. As always. And last April, Firestone told me that the contract agreement with the city of St. Pete runs through 2017.
I'll be there. Yeah, baby.
:D

The date for Indycar in St. Petersburg, Florida has already been set. March 27-29, 2015. So, the first race will be on the 29th. The last weekend of March. As always. And last April, Firestone told me that the contract agreement with the city of St. Pete runs through 2017.

The contract for the Baltimore Grand Prix had several years left on it as well. :(

Reactions: JW1
The contract for the Baltimore Grand Prix had several years left on it as well. :(
This is true, but at least St. Pete is safe for next year.
I just hope Indycar and the city of St. Pete doesn't mess up my vacation for the next few years.
:(

I just saw a promo on NBC Sports Network -- coverage starts Saturday night at 9pm. I love Auto Club Speedway but the series needs a different venue for the finale, mainly because that's just too late to drop the green flag on the season finale. That race won't end until after midnight.

Hey Jimmy, all the sources say that they are adding two international dates before the St. Pete race. A race in Brazil and one in Dubai. Probably both in February. Then St. Pete in late March starts the bulk of the North American season.

Even if Power ****s the bed again Helio almost has to earn his first-ever Fontana podium.

To accomplish the feat, however, in the double-points finale of the Triple Crown Series under the lights on the 2-mile oval, Castroneves would have to win and Power place eighth. Other scenarios include Castroneves finishing second and Power finishing 16th and Castroneves placing third and Power coming in 21st. All are exclusive of the bonus points on the table for the Verizon P1 Award (one point), leading a race lap (one point) and leading the most laps (two points).

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/documents/2014-08-25/2014 VICS points possibilities.pdf

This is the self-appointed anthem for the final race. Because it's a bitter sweet conclusion to the season. :)

Hey Jimmy, all the sources say that they are adding two international dates before the St. Pete race. A race in Brazil and one in Dubai. Probably both in February. Then St. Pete in late March starts the bulk of the North American season.
Oh!! OK!! I didn't realize that. Sorry for the error. I guess I need to get it in gear, right? Thanks for the info.

It was just confirmed that the New Orleans race would be in April next year, so I guess this race will be the finale again. :(

Sucks. Nothing against California but a race that's pretty much only for west coast fans (race starts after 9pm on the East and won't end until after Midnight) is just not good for East Coast fans.

I just saw a promo on NBC Sports Network -- coverage starts Saturday night at 9pm. I love Auto Club Speedway but the series needs a different venue for the finale, mainly because that's just too late to drop the green flag on the season finale. That race won't end until after midnight.

East Coast? (I'm new here, don't ask) Anyway, I don't think need to change the final venue as draw out the season another two or three weeks. Fontana in mid-September is much cooler than it is in late August, and I assume the heat is why they're starting so late.

East Coast? (I'm new here, don't ask) Anyway, I don't think need to change the final venue as draw out the season another two or three weeks. Fontana in mid-September is much cooler than it is in late August, and I assume the heat is why they're starting so late.

It was that freaking late last year, in October.

Most of the country lives on the East Coast. The race will start after 9pm and end after midnight (which is "late night television"). No thanks.

It was that freaking late last year, in October.

Most of the country lives on the East Coast. The race will start after 9pm and end after midnight (which is "late night television"). No thanks.

Two points I'd like to make, with help form the spotter's guide I got from attending last year:

1. They had the Indy Lights Race at 2:30 local time last year which moved things back quite a bit (I don't remember exactly how much but according to the spotter guide, about an hour and a half). Indy Lights isn't returning to Auto Club Speedway, which, if it wans't for the heat (Accuweather is saying 95 as the high on Saturday), they might have been able to move it up to say 5:00 (or 8 on the east coast)
2. Not quite that late. The Indycar race started a 6:00 local time, according to the spotter's guite (though, if I recall they did delay it about 15 minutes because of the setting sun causing glare. Still earlier than 9:30 ET)

Two points I'd like to make, with help form the spotter's guide I got from attending last year:

1. They had the Indy Lights Race at 2:30 local time last year which moved things back quite a bit (I don't remember exactly how much but according to the spotter guide, about an hour and a half). Indy Lights isn't returning to Auto Club Speedway, which, if it wans't for the heat (Accuweather is saying 95 as the high on Saturday), they might have been able to move it up to say 5:00 (or 8 on the east coast)
2. Not quite that late. The Indycar race started a 6:00 local time, according to the spotter's guite (though, if I recall they did delay it about 15 minutes because of the setting sun causing glare. Still earlier than 9:30 ET)

NBC's coverage starts at 9pm. Safe to assume the race won't start until 9:45pm.

If all these issues you point out are actual problems, you've just made the case for me that ACS should not be the finale.

I saw this race has a 10:20 PM Eastern green flag?? I guess that's good for me since I'm getting dragged to a football game kicking off at 7 but damn that's awfully late.

The series shouldn't be over this early but I'm very excited for this race. As good as Power has improved on ovals lately, I can only see him winning this thing. On the other hand, we all know how well he can throw away a race or even a championship.

Regardless of who wins, it's going to be an awesome race.

And it's any wonder why this sport is about as important on the public landscape as table tennis. Their leadership is on par with George Custer

Same people think it's a good idea to start the season in Dubai. In a race that will begin at 5am EST.

The Tony George regime sucked but the IndyCar Series had a great schedule.

These are the same idiots that announced that the Baltimore Grand Prix had an attendance of 153,000 the day before announcing that the race was cancelled and they weren't going to replace it with a race in that region.

Last year the drivers couldn't see down the backstretch during the transition so they've moved the time back until after the sun sets.

California's not a good venue for the finale. Either that or they're ending the season way too early.

ISC and IndyCar need to bury this hatchet and get back to racing so we can have races at Watkins Glen, Richmond, Homestead, Chicago and Michigan again.

Back
Top Bottom