IndyCar Long Term Technical Plans

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
Derrick Walker has been the president of competition for like a week, but IndyCar has already laid out its technical plans through 2021 and his name is all over the press release.

From the press release:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-series-outlines-technical-plans-through-2021/

2013 - INDYCAR and Dallara look to reduce the surface area of the underbody of the current chassis to reduce the potential for lift in preparation for the addition of various aerodynamic configurations in 2015.

2014 - Engine upgrades as part of the current homologation process; downforce adjustments to enhance racing, overtaking as well as safety at various racetrack configurations, as needed.

2015 - Aero configuration components introduced for the full IZOD IndyCar Series season in conjunction with potential enhancements to the underbody.

2016 - Opportunity for tire development, if needed, with Firestone, as well as engine power enhancements as required.

2017 - Possible aero configuration kits and engine upgrades. Potential for areas on car to be opened for team development.

2018 - Competition enhancements made based on performance of 2017 package.

2019 - Potential introduction of new body style and engine formula.

2020 - Competition enhancements made based on performance of 2019 package.

2021 - Possible aero configuration upgrade.

I guess the manufacturer aero kits are off the schedule until 2015 as IndyCar tries to address the airborne issue? As for the "engine enhancements", I would love to see them bring back the late 1990s CART style turbo 900+ hp V8s, but they'll probably just set them fool around with the turbos or something like they did this year.

I think most of these changes were in the works before Derrick Walker took over, especially the engine rules for next year. I've nearly beaten this to death before, but it would make too much sense for Indycar and F1 to tweak their specs enough for them to cross over. Here's where they stand now (data from a couple of onlines sources):

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/01/24/f1s-v6-engines-2014-numbers/

F1:
V6 engine and turbo
1.6l Engine capacity, down from 2.4l
6 Number of cylinders, down from 8
100kg Maximum amount of fuel teams can use per race from 2014 (around 140 litres). They currently use around 160kg
100kg per hour Maximum fuel flow rate
500bar Fuel injection pressure limit
15,000 Maximum rpm, down from 18,000

Indycar:
Capacity – 2.2 liter maximum
Cylinders – Up to six, all of equal capacity
RPM – 12,000 as restricted by the Engine Control Unit
Horsepower – Between 550 and 700 dependent on type of circuit
Fuel – E85; fuel injection allowed
Fuel capacity – 18.5 U.S. gallons
Oil – Can use only lubricating oil that is readily available to the general public through retail methods
Boost pressure – 155KPa for road courses, 140KPa for short ovals and 130KPa for speedways. Two boost sensors will be fitted and monitored by INDYCAR
Minimum weight – 112.5kg (248 pounds) excluding items such as the clutch, ECU, fluids, turbo charger
Turbocharged – Single or twin featuring water-cooled bearing housing and titanium turbine wheel
Mounting – Common mounting points on bulkhead and gearbox for all three manufacturers
Engine life – 1,850 miles. Each full-season entrant will receive five fresh engines per year
“Push to Pass” – Not to start season
KERS – No
Pop-off valve – No
Traction control -- No
Anti-stall -- Yes

try readin tha entire walker speech transcript.

i did. he should be in politics................

Good point hawg, it's important to get the facts before forming an opinion. So I've read Walker's statement from last weekend, which on the surface seems to be intended to satisfy as many interested parties as possible. One thing that stood out to me was this:

"Changes are not automatic," he said. "If one manufacturer or majority of teams say no, it's off the table and we would look at it a different way."

This alone makes the teams with the most resources (or influence) the ones who will decide what changes are implemented.

It's interesting that 2016 (100th Indy 500) has been targeted as when the current qualifying record should be broken, presumably with aero improvements and better tires, but also to include "engine power enhancements as required." I'm glad that their intent is to preserve or improve on the current level of competition by making gradual changes, but wish they wouldn't limit their improvements to aero upgrades that don't relate outside of the racetrack. Performance improvements like KERS and traction control would also be effective, and the technology is transferable to other forms of transportation.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/6-2-Aero-kits-for-2015

KERS, traction control..useless, costly gimmicks, whats next, cameras that beep when another driver gets too close. they have had that technology for years, F1 acted like it was something new, it isn't. They are selling tecno B.S. in F1, been monitoring the similar stuff for years in big trucks, certain models of buses have has a form of KERS for at least 7 years. It costs more to make and produce most of this tecno equipment than it saves out on the street. You want to go faster cheap? no substitute for displacement..period. Blowers, multi turbos, sure they can make a puny lunch box sized motor turn some screaming rpms and H.P. The fastest race car built to this day was built back in 1972, no gimmicks just pure brute horsepower. The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374-litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp

Good point hawg, it's important to get the facts before forming an opinion. So I've read Walker's statement from last weekend, which on the surface seems to be intended to satisfy as many interested parties as possible. One thing that stood out to me was this:

"Changes are not automatic," he said. "If one manufacturer or majority of teams say no, it's off the table and we would look at it a different way."

This alone makes the teams with the most resources (or influence) the ones who will decide what changes are implemented.

It's interesting that 2016 (100th Indy 500) has been targeted as when the current qualifying record should be broken, presumably with aero improvements and better tires, but also to include "engine power enhancements as required." I'm glad that their intent is to preserve or improve on the current level of competition by making gradual changes, but wish they wouldn't limit their improvements to aero upgrades that don't relate outside of the racetrack. Performance improvements like KERS and traction control would also be effective, and the technology is transferable to other forms of transportation.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/6-2-Aero-kits-for-2015

supertex----walker full transcript is on www.racer.com

seems floor......keepin cars from flyin....w/ speed incr. ....is primary concern at present.

supertex----walker full transcript is on www.racer.com

seems floor......keepin cars from flyin....w/ speed incr. ....is primary concern at present.

Yeah, I think so too. Probably why they pushed the manufacturer aero kits back a year. They were supposed to run them at Indy, Fontana and Pocono next year.

hawg - thanks for the link. I used to have a subscription to that mag, lots of good racing stuff. I'm going to be busy for awhile!

Keeping the cars on the ground is a worthy short term goal. Since they don't have as much surface area to work with as a hardtop full-bodied car, it's not as easy as putting some flaps on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom