Indycar Toronto Double-Header

S

SuperTex14

After a swathe of five oval races interrupted only by the double-header at Detroit at the start of June, the IndyCar drivers take their fight to the streets once more – twice more, actually – with one of the most popular stops on the IZOD IndyCar Series calendar in charismatic Toronto.

The standing starts have been met with a whole range of reactions from drivers and teams. Here's a selection of comments:
1. “Can't do any harm to experiment. Should be interesting for the fans.”
2. “The clutch biting point is so variable on these cars, even when we're pulling away from our pit box, I wonder if there could be a lot of people stalling, and if that happens at the front of the grid, it could be chaos.”
3. “What is it about this year that we keep experimenting with gimmicks when we already have great racing?”
4. “They're going against IndyCar tradition.”
5. “I realize it means the crashes at Turn 1 [note the optimism there! - Editor] are going to happen at a slower speed, but by bunching everyone together even more, I think there's still more chance of people running into each other.”
6. “I don't know what people are moaning about. We can cope.”

Date Event Network Time
Fri., July 12 Indy Lights: Pocono NBCSN 4:30 p.m.
IndyCar: Toronto Qualifying NBCSN 5:30 p.m.
Sat., July 13 Indy Lights: Toronto NBCSN 2 p.m.
Honda Indy Toronto-Race 1 NBCSN 3 p.m.
Sun., July 14 Honda Indy Toronto-Race 2 NBCSN 3 p.m.

http://www.racer.com/preview-indycars-honda-indy-toronto/article/302772/

Looks like Dario has returned to form, taking pole position for Race 1. Well done to Sebastien Bourdais on getting second.

I can't see Jay Penske without remembering him and his brother peeing on that lady's boots and breaking into the yacht club on Nantucket a couple of years ago. Funny, no mention of that little nugget on his Wikipedia page. The Captain's command reaches far!

Looks like RHR won't be hanging out with Takuma Sato anytime soon, after creaming Ryan's car entering the pits at Pocono last week and re-injuring his thumb, and today hitting the tires and bringing out the red flag near the end of fast 12 qualifying, causing RHR to miss the final 6 by a few hundredths.

Pos.DriverBest TimeRound
1 Dario Franchitti 59.6756 Firestone Fast Six
2 Sebastien Bourdais 59.7701 Firestone Fast Six
3 Will Power 60.0612 Firestone Fast Six
4 Tony Kanaan 60.1179 Firestone Fast Six
5 James Jakes 60.1430 Firestone Fast Six
6 Scott Dixon 60.3228 Firestone Fast Six
7 Ryan Hunter-Reay 60.1954 Round 2 / Top 12
8 Helio Castroneves 60.2866 Round 2 / Top 12
9 Justin Wilson 60.2954 Round 2 / Top 12
10 Ryan Briscoe 60.3843 Round 2 / Top 12
11 Marco Andretti 60.6027 Round 2 / Top 12
12 Takuma Sato 62.3831 Round 2 / Top 12
13 Simon Pagenaud 60.4303 Round 1 / Group 1
14 James Hinchcliffe 60.5083 Round 1 / Group 2
15 E.J. Viso 60.4556 Round 1 / Group 1
16 Charlie Kimball 60.6569 Round 1 / Group 2
17 Alex Tagliani 60.4586 Round 1 / Group 1
18 Graham Rahal 60.6868 Round 1 / Group 2
19 Josef Newgarden 60.5822 Round 1 / Group 1
20 Mike Conway 60.9526 Round 1 / Group 2
21 Tristan Vautier (R) 60.9053 Round 1 / Group 1
22 Simona De Silvestro 61.1553 Round 1 / Group 2
23 Ed Carpenter 61.2367 Round 1 / Group 1
24 Sebastian Saavedra 61.2939 Round 1 / Group 2

I can't see Jay Penske without remembering him and his brother peeing on that lady's boots and breaking into the yacht club on Nantucket a couple of years ago. Funny, no mention of that little nugget on his Wikipedia page. The Captain's command reaches far!
God, I very barely remember that. Roger's political power even reached inside my memory banks.

I wonder if Jay Penske will take over Penske Racing when the Skipper calls it quits.

You guys are nuts! That was a very good race. And not just because Dixon is a Kiwi. ;)

How about Bourdais raising his crystal trophy and it wasn't cemented to the base and it falls to the ground , bounces and breaks......Lol that was too funny.
Why the hell wasn't it secured to the base?

And then Franchitti on the podium but not knowing he had been assessed a time penalty for blocking Power....entertaining stuff IMO ....am looking forward to tomorrows race.

Yeah, Ganassi seems to have gotten past there issues, Penske's boys aren't far behind, either. Could be bad news for the rest of the field down the stretch.

Indycar sure should've had a contingency plan for someone having a problem at the start. I think F1 shuts the cars off and goes through the whole process again - start, warm up lap, standing start. This looked very disorganized, but ended up not making much difference due to Newgarden's problems - Sarah Fisher's team still having problems communicating.

LOL, Bourdais' trophy coming apart and breaking on the podium, and Franchitti's 3rd place finish negated after he's penalized for blocking. Can't wait for Round 2 tomorrow!

Very entertaining race, the final restart was a joke though. And Will Power can't catch a break.

What a bizarre race. The aborted standing start. Dario Franchitti's revoked podium. The frog dropping the trophy.

I must've missed something. What happened with Francitti?

He was already on the podium celebrating his 3rd place finish when suddenly word came down he was given a 25 second penalty for blocking Will Power on the last lap, which dropped him back to 13th place.

good race. I despise push to pass button still though. Would have rather seen Dixon get around bourdis with skill not a speed boost all of the sudden.

He was already on the podium celebrating his 3rd place finish when suddenly word came down he was given a 25 second penalty for blocking Will Power on the last lap, which dropped him back to 13th place.
Wow! Sounds like some F1 **** right there!

IndyCar rescinded their penalty on Franchitti, moving him back to a third place finish.
Also this:

Meanwhile, the aborted standing start that was supposed to take place today has in fact, been reinstituted for tomorrow. If there aren’t further stalls, that is.
“The fans deserve to see a standing start, so after consultation with the promoter, we have made the decision to implement a standing start for Sunday’s race,” Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of operations, INDYCAR, said in a series release.

Also this:

Meanwhile, the aborted standing start that was supposed to take place today has in fact, been reinstituted for tomorrow. If there aren’t further stalls, that is.
“The fans deserve to see a standing start, so after consultation with the promoter, we have made the decision to implement a standing start for Sunday’s race,” Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of operations, INDYCAR, said in a series release.

lol.

I'm glad they're doing it, I want to see them try it, but they were so quick to call an aborted start this time, it looked like to me that they were intentionally doing it as a way to get out of doing the standing start.

lol.

I'm glad they're doing it, I want to see them try it, but they were so quick to call an aborted start this time, it looked like to me that they were intentionally doing it as a way to get out of doing the standing start.

I wonder if the drivers tomorrow will deliberately sabotage the standing start.

Back
Top Bottom