Indycar's Return Return to New Hampshire

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
From a local racing reporter up here...talking to the NHMS general manager...

RaceDayCT: Is there any thought of revisiting IndyCar?

McGrath: Too early to say. Sure there is. Things change. Last time they were here was not a success, but their product has gotten better. It’s changed. Do I think New England would support it? Based on what I saw and the interest with what was going on in Boston with that defunct Grand Prix, I think there’s something there. I’m not overly excited on what those costs may be just yet. I don’t know enough about that yet to understand. But it’s certainly something we could think about. I’m open to it.

With the loss of the second Cup race and the failure of the Boston event it *kinda* makes sense.

I'd say give them the finale around where their Chase race used to be. But I guess you'd have to consider that Watkins Glen and Pocono would both be within one month of that weekend. SMI could still have the finale in that case though, and we'd finally get rid of the horrible Sonoma finale. The season needs to end on an oval.

... and we'd finally get rid of the horrible Sonoma finale. The season needs to end on an oval.
I'm not sure which one of these statements I disagree with the most. Probably the second one; while I dislike the idea of removing Sonoma, I dislike finishing on a oval even more.

I'm not sure which one of these statements I disagree with the most. Probably the second one; while I dislike the idea of removing Sonoma, I dislike finishing on a oval even more.
More people will watch if it's an oval, and an oval probably provides you a better chance of having a close race in the finale. Fontana was an awesome finale strictly from a racing perspective.

I don't think Sonoma needs to go entirely but I just don't see how it's a good finale. It's not a good road course in general, at least relative to its counterparts...I'd take all of Barber, Road America, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and yes, even the Indy GP course over it.

Just me, but I think Indys put on a better show on road courses than they do on ovals. I'll go even farther and say that the higher the banking, the less I enjoy the racing. Again, just me.

Just me, but I think Indys put on a better show on road courses than they do on ovals. I'll go even farther and say that the higher the banking, the less I enjoy the racing. Again, just me.
I somewhat agree with you but it depends a lot on the particular track. Iowa's cool, Phoenix not so much. Pocono and Indy are cool, Texas is...something. Gateway is TBD. Barber, Road America, The Glen are all cool circuits. The other three road courses can vary. But I think casual observers would be more likely to tune in if the championship were decided on an oval.

Huh. Iowa is the oval I like the least, and I put Phoenix way ahead of Tejas's banking.

Different strokes, and all that.

Indy cars should only race on ovals.

Back
Top Bottom