Input and ideas requested for "low budget sprint car series"

T

TopEnd

Several friends and I have long talked about creating a very low budget local "sprint car" series at our local track. I actually took some notes from our last bench-racing session and presented them to the local track operator. He was actually very enthused and said it would take about six cars/teams to get going but that he would certain book us.

I'm sure people have done this before and I would love to get some inputs about what worked and did not work. Here are our very basic list of ideas:

Engine: Factory cast iron block and heads
Maximum CID: 360 cubic inches.
Induction: one carburetor, normally aspirated.
Lubrication: wet sump.
Fuel: racing gasoline.
Aerodynamics: no wings.
Weight: 1650 pounds with driver -- before or after race.
Ballast: securely bolted-on ballast allowed.
Tires: Unsure. We would like to run street tires of moderate size.
No electronics or traction control devices allowed.

The idea would be to keep costs and maintenance down. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

To keep it low budget, I'd make a rule saying that the chassis has to be used, no brand new chassis allowed. Otherwise, you'll get into this competition of who can buy the latest and greatest chassis.

Might want to consider a smaller engine - less horsepower will require smaller cheaper tires.
Might also want to consider an engine that doesn't have a lot of racing parts already developed for it. That should hold back expensive engines... for a little while.
Pick a tire that is pretty hard, and do not allow chemical prepping or even grooving / siping / needling. That should negate excessive horsepower, and makes driver skill shine.
Rule that you have to race on the same tires you qualified with, and only allow changes if a tire goes flat on the track.
Pick a specific set of non-adjustable racing shock absorbers. Might have to specify a certain package (certain part numbers for each corner).
Go whole hog with safety equipment though, including a head restraint device.

Limit chassis weight to no more than 60% on the left side of the car. Restrict engine setback in the frame so that no part of the engine block is behind the firewall. That would almost guarantee older less expensive frames would be used. You could allow fuel injection and electronic ignition, as long as neither is computer or electronically controllable. I'd bet if you could find an old rulebook from 1970, and built the cars to fit those rules, with a lot of what was suggested above might work as a good starting point.

Just what do you consider to be 'a very low budget'?

Back
Top Bottom