Interest builds around possible changes to NASCAR schedule

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
It’s apparent pretty much no one in the city wanted this but Lori. I’m not sure how well that bodes for the reception next summer, as well as the long-term viability of the event.
The NY Marathon doesn't draw 50K+ deep-pocketed hotel-renting, meal-buying, tax-revenue-generating sight-seeing families from the local area. The Chicago race won't either. Favorable receptions depend on the tourists, not the locals. Long-term viability depends on how much the locals value that income against the costs and having their routines disrupted.

FLRacingFan

Pervy dickhead troglodyte
The NY Marathon doesn't draw 50K+ deep-pocketed hotel-renting, meal-buying, tax-revenue-generating sight-seeing families from the local area. The Chicago race won't either. Favorable receptions depend on the tourists, not the locals. Long-term viability depends on how much the locals value that income against the costs and having their routines disrupted.
Historically, auto races that have a weak local buy-in have a short shelf life. That goes for open wheel, sports cars, anything. If residents and local government largely don’t want you that’s a very tough sell. Tourism can only get you so far. After all, this is about penetrating certain markets for prospective fan potential, right?

Daytripper

Team Owner

The NYC marathon is a 26 mile course running thru all 5 Borough's and only closes roads for a portion of the day. Lot less impact on traffic than shutting down a busy part of Chicago for 2 weeks.

Efisher131

750 truther
It’s apparent pretty much no one in the city wanted this but Lori. I’m not sure how well that bodes for the reception next summer, as well as the long-term viability of the event.

I keep hearing more and more that both IndyCar and NASCAR are looking to run on the streets of Denver.
Ugh. Pikes Peak is a perfectly good track to run in that market

LewTheShoe

Team Owner
Maybe they could move it to the suburbs for the second and third years of the contract. I'm pretty sure Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin is a suburb of Chicago isn't it?

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
The NYC marathon is a 26 mile course running thru all 5 Borough's and only closes roads for a portion of the day. Lot less impact on traffic than shutting down a busy part of Chicago for 2 weeks.
That's my point. The payoff-to-disruption ratio is much lower than what Chicago is planning.

AuzGrams

Driver Wannabe
If North Wilkesboro can have a race so can Pikes Peak

North Wilkesboro is upgrading its track. Pikes Peak has no SAFER barriers that I’m aware of, only about 10,000 seats.

Also the track ownership has not said much regarding NASCAR, who knows if the contract from back in 2005/2006 is still a thing, and hasn’t had oval races since 2013 & 2014.

I love the support for PPIR, but there needs to be a lot more grassroots movement.

Running it a week before or after the hill climb would be sweet.

FLRacingFan

Pervy dickhead troglodyte
Ugh. Pikes Peak is a perfectly good track to run in that market
I don’t think Indy can run there since then-ISC sold it with the clause that the new owner couldn’t host any other big-time professional racing. I’m not sure what sort of condition it’s in now since it’s mostly a club-level track. Would probably need a lot more SAFER barrier as it’s a mile long, and would need a lot more grandstands built or at least brought in on a temporary basis.

AuzGrams

Driver Wannabe
I don’t think Indy can run there since then-ISC sold it with the clause that the new owner couldn’t host any other big-time professional racing. I’m not sure what sort of condition it’s in now since it’s mostly a club-level track. Would probably need a lot more SAFER barrier as it’s a mile long, and would need a lot more grandstands built or at least brought in on a temporary basis.

I’m not sure what the deal is with the contract there. The track ownership doesn’t say much so perhaps it’s a thing still and I thought in 2019 they were planning on scanning it for iRacing. I’ve seen a lot of internet NASCAR experts say it doesn’t “mean much” anymore, but who knows.

donthaveanickname

Viva Polonia
Turns out Chicago isn't that different from other cities/towns with race tracks where people always find new things to complain about.
I can only laugh at most of these "concerns", some folks act like this is the first street race in the history of mankind.

Top Bottom