Interesting Fact

A

Awesome_Bill

You all have heard of how consistency pays...heres a fact that more than proves it. If a driver only finishes 9th in every race, he would be in the points lead as we speak. I didnt like what Wally D. said in a recent race. He said something to the effect of if you want to lead the points youve got to get up there and get those top 5s and win. There is absoulutley no need for that as long as you can consistently finish well each week.

thats why Sterling's STILL in the lead after everyone (myself included) thought he would have lost the top spot

Originally posted by Awesome_Bill
You all have heard of how consistency pays...heres a fact that more than proves it.  If a driver only finishes 9th in every race, he would be in the points lead as we speak.  I didnt like what Wally D. said in a recent race.  He said something to the effect of if you want to lead the points youve got to get up there and get those top 5s and win.  There is absoulutley no need for that as long as you can consistently finish well each week.

OK Bill, get out the calculator and figure it out.... if there are NO laps lead, no top 5s, no bonus points at all, how would a 9th place finish in all 18 races so far put someone in the points lead? Cuz there are 43 drivers times 18 who could have led a lap, 18 possible winners, 18 possible most lap leaders, etc.

Not saying you are wrong, just imagine all the possible combinations even without a win.

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR kat

Well I pulled the calculator out...9th place gets 138 points times 18 races is 2484 points 1 more than Marlin.

Originally posted by Awesome_Bill
Well I pulled the calculator out...9th place gets 138 points times 18 races is 2484 points 1 more than Marlin.

Point well made at this poin, but what would happen over the 36 race season if a driver finished 9th in every race??

That would be a tough question. It all depends on where the next guy in line is. Last years winner had 5112 points. If a driver finished 9th for the rest of the year he would have 4968 ranking him an easy second. In 2000 The winner had 5130 points, placing the 9th place driver an easy 2nd yet again. So it depends on how well the field does. But in these examples an average finish of 9th would NOT win a championship due to lack of bonus points. So in the long run bonus points and some higher finishes are the determining factor But if the driver had an average finish of 8th he would tie with the 01 winner.

Back
Top Bottom