Interstate Battery team not even close

H

HardScrabble

With Tony's car clearly the class of the field, how can the other car of a two car stable be so far off??

Ill-Handling Car Leaves Bobby
Labonte 23rd At Watkins Glen
Camp & Associates, Inc.

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y., (August 12, 2002) – Sunday’s Sirius Satellite at the Glen race is one Bobby Labonte would probably be happy to forget. From the drop of the green flag, Labonte and the team never really seemed to make a serious move towards the front and throughout the race, struggled with the set-up of the car. In the end, Labonte crossed the finish line in a disappointing 23rd finishing position.

“We were terrible out there today,” said a dejected and tired Labonte. “We tried everything we could think of on the car from putting more spring rubbers in the rear springs and even unhooking the rear bar and nothing seemed to work. We just missed the set-up out there today and I don’t understand it. I am not very happy with our showing and we have nothing to be proud of. It just means there is still a lot of work to do.”

While complaining most of the day that the car was loose getting into and off most of the corners, Labonte and crew chief Jimmy Makar made numerous trips to pit road to try and help the situation. On top of that, there were certain times during the day that Labonte was experiencing the front-tires chattering through the turns which is a sure sign that the car was scrubbing off speed and too tight.

“We were mostly loose in and off the corners,” explained Labonte. “Yet I was still chattering the front tires in the middle of the corners. This is such a momentum track and if you lose speed on any portion of this track, it really kills your lap times and it takes a little while to get going again. By that time, you have usually been passed by a number of cars. That seemed to be what was happening to us a lot today.”

“You’ve heard it all season, but track position was everything out there today,” continued Labonte. “We might have had a better finish if we had not tried to make so many changes, but both Jimmy and I felt we really needed to come into the pits and see if we could get the car better.”

“I’m embarrassed about our performance out here today,” added Jimmy Makar. “We never got it going. We took a chance at making a lot of changes to the car and nothing really seemed to be making Bobby any more comfortable. We’ll have to go back and look at our notes and see if there is something we missed. Clearly there is, but I’m just not sure what it is. At least we know Tony’s (Stewart) car was good and clearly he was able to get his car to work.”

It is kind of puzzling. Jeff Burton would likely be interested in knowing the answer too.

T. Labonte has been wondering the same question for years!

I still look to see the Labonte,Jones racing team in Texas.Have no proof,or back up but would not surprise me one bit.Has anyone heard anything on Jerry Jones goings on of late?

They put their feet up towards the end of 2000 and it is biting them in the a$$ now.

I heard that Jerry Jones is looking at David Starr, among others, to be his driver. Jones seems to be set on hiring a Texas driver to drive for him. Just not sure if Starr is ready.

I started this post about three times, couldn't decide if it was worth the bandwidth to put it up or not.

Rumors regarding the Jones Petree team have quieted dwon of late, don't even know for sure if there is a Jones-Petree team I don't think.

But, one item surfaced over the weekend from the Team Ford Racing site. According to an article there Ford has launched a major offensive to keep Ricky Rudd in a Blue Oval ride. Apparently the team to which they are trying to get him placed is the Jerry Jones-Andy Petree Racing organization. The Havoline folks have a scdeduled press ocnference for tomorrow AM, but this source is saying the deal is not done as far as Ricky is concerned.

Wow, a deal involving Ricky Rudd with speculation involved...I'm shocked.

I got not one thing in this world against Rudd, but he waited too long to make his little announcement, and I think it's gonna bite him. He and Yates can blame one another all day long, that's their business. Both of them have egg on their faces, and neither one of them won the argument. It made Rudd look bad; it made Yates look bad. And I'm ranting...

Rudd with Jones makes sense on some fronts. New team, seasoned driver who doesn't want to be locked into a multi-year deal, or so I have heard at least. :rolleyes: Rudd could get the rest of the driving out of his system (while waiting for Jaws' contract to be up at FOX), and Jones would have the benefit of Rudd's years of experience to get the team solidly started. Worse could happen. And will.

Yea not sure what ol Jerry's going to do about a drive or who he is going to put in his car's...................but they have two of th new ford painted all up and setting out by Texas Stadium, i guess we'll see who it's going to be at th end of th season.

Back
Top Bottom