Iowa Speedway losing money?

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Attendance from this past weekend has been hashed out pretty well already, but the idea that Iowa could be losing money and actually losing races going forward is not a good development at all.

Iowa Speedway crowd size not so hot, but Newton racing was feverish
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...o-hot-but-newton-racing-was-feverish-20180617

Also, the novelty is gone. In 2009, when the Nationwide Series debuted here, temporary seating was brought in as the Iowa race sold 56,087 tickets. The next year, it was 55,988.

Reacting quickly to that phenomenon, NASCAR gave Newton two Nationwide (now Xfinity) races per year after that. A second Xfinity event here this year is July 28, making it two races within a six-week period. Those who travel a few hours or more for this — and there are many — aren’t likely to do it twice in a summer.

Not having the Cup series race here over Father’s Day weekend is a big folly, IMO.

Missing all of the Father-Son day at the race track money.

The weather in the north central part of the country over the weekend was sweltering - high dew points and mid 90's is a very uncomfortable combo.

Of course they are losing money. They need a Cup race to be profitable. Kentucky lost money prior to getting a Cup race.

The weather in the north central part of the country over the weekend was sweltering - high dew points and mid 90's is a very uncomfortable combo.
Yes. Same here in the South. I don't think Bristol had a great crowd for the NHRA because of the heat all weekend.

I had planned on going up to the races this weekend. I even requested off work just in case I wanted to go. With it being fathers day and my dad being off this weekend, I decided against going. It would have been a six hour drive one way, which is a somewhat long drive.

I think Father's Day and the heat wave scared some folks off. I would have gone to both the truck and xfinity race even though it's nearly a 10-hour drive (one way), but I had already made plans with family this weekend.

The racing here is really good, especially without Cup drivers in the field, so it would be a damn shame to see Iowa lose any races. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Dont build an aero dependent "short track".
Exactly !

Iowa is the perfect example of how NOT to build a "short track".
Like the new Richmond it basically looks and races like one of those generic looking and boring D-Shaped 1.5 mile tracks.

I don't even consider them short tracks.

Yes. Same here in the South. I don't think Bristol had a great crowd for the NHRA because of the heat all weekend.
It was definitely hot and steamy in Bristol last week and I'm glad I'm out of there. I very seldom look into the stands when I'm on the starting line so I didn't really notice the crowd size but the pits were pretty full and the lines waiting for the trams to take the fans up the hill to the parking lot was pretty long. It was brutally hot and humid in Virginia the week before also and it was 93 when I arrived at the track here in Ohio yesterday, but it rained last night and that cooled it off a little so it is only suppose to be in the low 80's this week. Norwalk always pulls a good crowd even if it's above 100 degrees...Maybe they all come for the $1.00 a pound ice cream they have at the track.:)

I spent yesterday watching the DVR'ed IMSA race from Detroit, out in the garage where it was cooler than the house, waiting for the A/C repair man. I got your hot and humid right HERE.

Bigger question is why the **** did they start the race at 4:00 on a Sunday?!

I found both races pretty exciting from what I watched. I always find Iowa to be a good race, no matter if it’s Xfinity, Trucks or Indy Car. I hope the track gets a Cup race. I can’t believe I’ve actually seen the day where people complain about Iowa and the “lack” of excitement. Some people will always feel the need to bitch about something

Exactly !

Like the new Richmond it basically looks and races like one of those generic looking and boring D-Shaped 1.5 mile tracks.

And...just how would you build a short track? What is the Mathematician’s perfect formula for a short track?

Of course they are losing money. They need a Cup race to be profitable. Kentucky lost money prior to getting a Cup race.
Kentucky was at least packing the house (or most of it) for the events they held before getting Cup, back when oval racing was still a big deal in America. I have no idea if they were truly losing money or not, but whatever situation they were in surely wasn't as dire as failing to fill half of a 30K grandstand.

Exactly !

Words. I have none.
Try some equations.

Try some equations.
equation-math.jpg

Still...... got nuthin

This posting should have been moved to the Deathbed Thread (podium light) when it was posted. smh

I found both races pretty exciting from what I watched. I always find Iowa to be a good race, no matter if it’s Xfinity, Trucks or Indy Car. I hope the track gets a Cup race. I can’t believe I’ve actually seen the day where people complain about Iowa and the “lack” of excitement. Some people will always feel the need to bitch about something
I've complained about Iowa since they built Iowa.

For those who dislike Iowa.....do you like Texas, Vegas, Indianapolis, Chicago, Kentucky, etc. better?

Ok then mad a Ford didnt win? How you can call either of those races boring escapes me and probably 98% of the other people who watched it.

No there's plenty good races even if a Ford doesn't win in my opinion I'm not ridiculously bias like that, that's outlandish. What made it good the fact that Gragson made a dive bomb for the win? okay one move awesome!
I really didn't see any passing for the lead or battles throughout the races that I watched besides that and the 7 car take the lead at the end of stage 1.... granted I had to watch both races on Extreme fastfoward and maybe spent an hour total on both.

No there's plenty good races even if a Ford doesn't win in my opinion I'm not ridiculously bias like that, that's outlandish. What made it good the fact that Gragson made a dive bomb for the win? okay one move awesome!
I really didn't see any passing for the lead or battles throughout the races that I watched besides that and the 7 car take the lead at the end of stage 1.... granted I had to watch both races on Extreme fastfoward and maybe spent an hour total on both.
If you didnt see any battles in those races you either A. Did not watch or B Need to throw that remote in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom