Is Carl Edwards deserving of being enshrined in the NASCAR Hall of Fame?

Is Carl Edwards deserving of the NASCAR Hall of Fame?

• Yes. He has accomplished enough to be worthy.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No. His accomplishments are just shy of being enshrined.

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

NJJammer

Team Owner
Has Carl Edwards accomplished enough in NASCAR to merit a HOF induction?

I like Carl, but I don't consider his body of work to be HOF worthy.

28 wins in 13 years puts him 27th on the list, but that's about it. There are HOF member with fewer wins, but they either had championships, incredible numbers of consecutive starts, consecutive seasons with a win, or some other additional factor that Carl doesn't have. He'd have to have finished second in the champ race more times a la Mark Martin for me to put him in for that. There's his Busch title in '07 when that still meant something, but that just doesn't make it for me. Back flips are cool but that won't do it either.

But that's part of what HOFs are for, to generate discussions like this one.

The HOF is a joke.
Curtis Turner is in the HOF and has 17 wins.
Anyone else with 17 wins should get in, too. Right?

I say yes, but not his first time up for it. I say he'll be eligible at least 5 years before he'll get in. He's got some okay numbers, but it's going to be one of them things where he might make it after they get in a lot of more people who deserve it even more. Had he won a championship or two, I'd say yes right away.

Based on the criteria Nascar uses to enshrine people in the HOF Carl is overqualified. As I said the other day Lennie Pond and Ron Bouchard will be headlining the class of 2028.

There's so many drivers ahead of him in his generation. I think he'll go down as one of the (if not the) best driver not inducted. In that sense he'll forever serve as a measuring stick when debating other drivers. His career will be used sort of like a HOF Mendoza line. If you can prove your career is one tiny peg above Carl's, congrats!

I say yes, but not his first time up for it. I say he'll be eligible at least 5 years before he'll get in. He's got some okay numbers, but it's going to be one of them things where he might make it after they get in a lot of more people who deserve it even more. Had he won a championship or two, I'd say yes right away.

At the rate Nascar is admitting people Carl should get in pronto.

The HOF is a joke.
Curtis Turner is in the HOF and has 17 wins.
Anyone else with 17 wins should get in, too. Right?

Holds record for most career NASCAR Convertible Division wins (38)

Holds record for most career NASCAR Convertible Division poles (23)

Holds record for most NASCAR Convertible Division wins in a season (22, 1956)

Holds record for most NASCAR Convertible Division poles in a season (16, 1956)

I wouldn't be one who just counts Cup numbers into this. So with Carl he's got a championship, but a Cup would would have put him in a better light. It's why I think he'll geti n at some point, but not right away.

I wouldn't be one who just counts Cup numbers into this. So with Carl he's got a championship, but a Cup would would have put him in a better light. It's why I think he'll geti n at some point, but not right away.

He holds the record for making successful back flips after a win which should count for something.

There's so many drivers ahead of him in his generation. I think he'll go down as one of the (if not the) best driver not inducted. In that sense he'll forever serve as a measuring stick when debating other drivers. His career will be used sort of like a HOF Mendoza line. If you can prove your career is one tiny peg above Carl's, congrats!
I had to Google 'Mendoza line'.

Carl raced three years less that Turner, has twice as many wins and three times as many top tens. Turner is in. Based on that Edwards should get in.
Also, we don't know if Carl is done yet.

I don't think so. I mean so many people come and go that a thirteen year career of his caliber is no easy feat, but I think a Hall of Fame should be reserved for the truly elite figures of the sport.

Carl raced three years less that Turner, has twice as many wins and three times as many top tens. Turner is in. Based on that Edwards should get in.
Also, we don't know if Carl is done yet.

He's way before my time, what else did Turner do? Did he do stuff that helped raise NASCAR to what is today, etc? Just from what I can look up about him let's see.

The only NASCAR driver to win two Grand National races in a row from the pole by leading every lap (Rochester, New York and Charlotte, North Carolina in July 1950)

The only driver to win 25 major NASCAR races in one season driving the same car in each of them (in 1956 — 22 were won as the #26 car in the convertible division, the other three, including the 1956 Southern 500, were with a top welded on.)

The first driver to qualify for a NASCAR Grand National race at a speed greater than 180 miles per hour (1967 Daytona 500, driving #13, a 1967 Smokey Yunick Chevrolet.)

If you look at JUST his Cup stuff I agree, but it's the NASCAR Hall of Fame. not the NASCAR CUP Hall of Fame. You got to look at stuff they done in NASCAR as a whole. Like I said yeah Carl will get in, but not the first year he's up for it.

I think he could get in, but he's going to have to wait a long, long time before his name is called. Just off the top of my head, those that will beat him out to it will be
Drivers: JJ, Stewart, Gordon, Bobby Labonte, Kenseth, the Busch brothers, Dale Jr., Brad k, probably Hamlin, Harvick, Kulwiki and those are just the recent ones
Then you have the non drivers like Knaus, Evernham, Roger Penske, Gnassi, Joe Gibbs, humpy wheeler and Larry Mac.

That's 20 people just from his era that will be ahead of him, so generously I think it will take him at least 6 or 7 ballots.

Down the line.

Think of it this way, possible HOF entries of the generation of drivers:

Jimmie Johnson
Dale Earnhardt, Jr - We all know its going to happen.
Kyle Busch
Kurt Busch - Legal incidents aside
Matt Kenseth
Denny Hamlin
Kevin Harvick
Tony Stewart - Retired, I know
Jeff Gordon - Also, semi-retired
Greg Biffle
Brad Keselowski
Danica Patrick - Give a damn about backlash, its going to happen when she hangs up her helmet.

All are possible entries for the NASCAR HOF, at least IMHO.

I think he could get in, but he's going to have to wait a long, long time before his name is called. Just off the top of my head, those that will beat him out to it will be
Drivers: JJ, Stewart, Gordon, Bobby Labonte, Kenseth, the Busch brothers, Dale Jr., Brad k, probably Hamlin, Harvick, Kulwiki and those are just the recent ones
Then you have the non drivers like Knaus, Evernham, Roger Penske, Gnassi, Joe Gibbs, humpy wheeler and Larry Mac.

That's 20 people just from his era that will be ahead of him, so generously I think it will take him at least 6 or 7 ballots.

He may go in with Lennie Pond and Ron Bouchard in the class of 2028.

The chase has skewed how the system ought to work when it comes to drivers potential to be in it.

He'd be a 2 time champ and this thread doesn't exist. He should be considered at the very least, if not get in.

I think it is more of a 50/50 thing. A close call.

Edwards is not worthy IMO. Neither are Biffle, Hamlin, Brad K (for now), or possibly Kurt Busch. If drivers like those go in, might as well put in Ricky Rudd, Todd Bodine, and others with similar careers.

Does the HOF even have a section for the folks that have been inducted? Kinda like Canton has busts of the NFL players. I've been 3 times and can't say that they have one area dedicated to this unless I skipped over it.

Does the HOF even have a section for the folks that have been inducted? Kinda like Canton has busts of the NFL players. I've been 3 times and can't say that they have one area dedicated to this unless I skipped over it.

2nd floor overlooking victory lane. Each has their own plaque and cubbyhole along the circular wall. I think they will run out of room shortly if they keep inducting 5 per year.

Edwards is not worthy IMO. Neither are Biffle, Hamlin, Brad K (for now), or possibly Kurt Busch. If drivers like those go in, might as well put in Ricky Rudd, Todd Bodine, and others with similar careers.

Todd Bodine????

All Time Wins - Three Series Combined, over 50 wins:
Driver, Wins
1. Richard Petty, 200 [all in Sprint Cup]
2. Kyle Busch*, 170 [38 Cup, 86 XFINITY, 46 Truck]
3. David Pearson, 106 [105 Cup, 1 XFINITY]
4. Jeff Gordon, 98 [93 Cup, 5 XFINITY]
5. Darrell Waltrip, 97 [84 Cup, 13 XFINITY]
5. Dale Earnhardt, 97 [76 Cup, 21 XFINITY]
7. Mark Martin, 96 [40 Cup, 49 XFINITY, 7 Truck]
8. Kevin Harvick*, 95 [35 Cup, 46 XFINITY, 14 Truck]
9. Bobby Allison, 86 [84 Cup, 2 XFINITY]