Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. True Competitor

kelloggs5TLfan

Team Owner
http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2010/08/is-dale-earnhardt-jr-true-comp.html

During his less than spectacular two and a half seasons competing for Hendrick Motorsports in the Sprint Cup Series, many have questioned whether Dale Earnhardt Jr. still has the drive to be a competitive force in NASCAR.

A just released New York Times magazine profile on Earnhardt would have one wondering if he is a man trapped in the sport of racing because of the amazing legacy of his late father.

For us, in a lot of ways, it reads as a sad portrait of a man. It's hard not to feel some compassion for Earnhardt after reading it.

"I didn't want to work for a living," Earnhardt told writer Pat Jordan for the New York Times Magazine piece. "What the hell am I gonna do with my life as Dale Earnhardt's son if I don't race? I was a mechanic in Dad's dealership at 18, and those were some of my happiest days.

"But my name was Dale Earnhardt Jr., man. Working as a mechanic would've been a real pain. People saying: 'What happened to you? You're Dale Earnhardt's son.'"

But it was also a story that had us wondering, because of Earnhardt's own words, if a champion's drive for the ultimate success truly lives in Earnhardt.

On the topic of the intensity of his four-time Sprint Cup Series championship winning teammate Jimmie Johnson Earnhardt told the author: "Jimmie hardly ever makes a step without thinking how it's gonna affect his racing. But I don't believe in living like that. I'd have to become a different person. I'm not willing to devote that much to it."
It's hard not question the true drive for success of Earnhardt after reading a statement like that one.

I call it Kyle Petty Syndrome. The guy, if not for his last name, probably would have lasted in the big ranks as long as he has. Sure I think Little E is better than Kyle, but there are many similarities. Neither has really challenged for a championship; both make excuses about how they are not their fathers; both have had quality rides that anyone else would have won a championship; both had daddy's team as a springboard. I think Dale Jr has talent, but if it weren't for daddy's image and popularity, he would be either out of a ride, or driving for Prizm Motorsports.

Junior has back-to-back Busch Championships to his credit. The talent that that takes doesn't just fade away so soon.

The DEI split may have taken the wind out of him. I just looked at his career stats and thats about when things went sour for him, that or he hasn't figured out the brick on wheels they drive now.

As for "..challenging for a Championship" Kyle was fifth in Winston Cup points in 1992 and ''93, and Junior has three top five points finishes with his best being a third in 1993 when he ended up less than 200 points behind Matt Kenseth- who won only one race that year.

I have to say that I miss rooting against the guy, hopes he gets back on track.

He seems like a normal enough guy. Likes to play video games, smokes weed, humble, etc. The challenge for today's NASCAR driver is that to be on top you have to be dedicated 24-7 like JJ the robot is.

I have to say, I like Jr. as a person now more than I did before reading the NY Times article.

It's interesting to listen to his interviews where he sometimes says certain things which no other driver does and seldom says some of the things that the rest do.

I truly believe that there's more going on than him just getting bored with racing and have my own theory but i'll keep that to myself - for now ;)

Good NY Times article. Every time that I read a piece like that, I have to wonder why there are so many Jr. haters out there. Good stuff.

No, he is not competitive, can I say overrated ??;) He is an average driver with the best equipment but cant get it done. I say drop him next year and put Kahne in the car early.

No, he is not competitive, can I say overrated ??;) He is an average driver with the best equipment but cant get it done. I say drop him next year and put Kahne in the car early.

Wow! A Danica fan would know what not competitive and overrated is. If I did not know better I would think you were talking about Danica.

I think he has the desire to win, for whatever reason it seems like he doesn't have the desire to do it at HMS anymore. He could win races and run up front before going to HMS.

Are you nuts?

Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin still don't have full time sponsors for next year. Jr is like Paul Menard: Not a top notch driver but he pays his own way and the revenue helps cover the cost to run the other cars.

I'm sure Hendrick would like to see him perform better but drop him? No chance.

2 Busch championships so he can drive. Until he has 7 cup championships he'll be compared to his father. That's a tall order to live up to a icon of the sport.

I can't imagine the pressure he's under.

That's when Sr. was alive too.I think alot of Jr's drive left when Sr. did.

I think you nailed it right there, that and the DEI debacle left Jr with not enough drive to get it done. Maybe he needs a steady girlfriend? When is the last time you saw him with a girl standing by his side on pit road? He needs to get rid of that beard too, maybe he is going through some Kind of depression type thing, not sure, but he seems rather subdued, even for JR.

Dale Jr

If Dale Jr likes what he's doin I would say keep on doin it....................drive the race cars.......................sell some shirts and hats..................own a race team...............own a bar................make some TV commercials..................some pretty girls go to the bar.....................life is good.

I think you nailed it right there, that and the DEI debacle left Jr with not enough drive to get it done. Maybe he needs a steady girlfriend? When is the last time you saw him with a girl standing by his side on pit road? He needs to get rid of that beard too, maybe he is going through some Kind of depression type thing, not sure, but he seems rather subdued, even for JR.
Yeah I didn't want to say it, but all the $$ in the world can't buy happiness.
There are times when I hear his pre-race, or post race interviews ,where just listening to his tones, and mannerisms, he should be put on suicide watch.
I could see him snapping under all these 10+ years of constant scrutiny....... he's only human.
I'm sure the attention was fascinating to him as a teen growing up around the track, always getting asked if he was gonna follow in dads footsteps.
Today, it's a friggin curse.
MoMike

The DEI split may have taken the wind out of him. I just looked at his career stats and thats about when things went sour for him, that or he hasn't figured out the brick on wheels they drive now.

I think his wreck at Sonoma in the Corvette took it out of him. Another foot here or there and he would have been killed in that wreck. Plus, I also think he spends too much time partying.

I truly believe that Jr would rather be doing something else. Something he is more happy with. I believe Jr. may be a better care OWNER than DRIVER. I know that he has had some success in the past, but I think he had a realy drive to do it at those times. Before Dale Sr. died, I believe Jr. was trying to prove that he could live up to that standard. Right after Dale passed away, I believe Jr. was extremely focused on racing to try and "make his dad proud" so to say. But now, I believe Jr. would be much happier just owning his race team, bar and whatever else he wants to buy and run. He seems to be a pretty smart business man.

I truly believe that Jr would rather be doing something else. Something he is more happy with. I believe Jr. may be a better care OWNER than DRIVER. I know that he has had some success in the past, but I think he had a realy drive to do it at those times. Before Dale Sr. died, I believe Jr. was trying to prove that he could live up to that standard. Right after Dale passed away, I believe Jr. was extremely focused on racing to try and "make his dad proud" so to say. But now, I believe Jr. would be much happier just owning his race team, bar and whatever else he wants to buy and run. He seems to be a pretty smart business man.

You pretty much summed up what I have been thinking all along. Staying an active driver allows the money to keep pouring in too.

As for being a smart businessman, that may be true but I think his sister Kelly may be the brains behind what he does in the way of business decisions.

with all due respect that's about the dumbest thing you have ever said with being a danica fan

As for being a smart businessman, that may be true but I think his sister Kelly may be the brains behind what he does in the way of business decisions.

This could be true as well. Maybe she makes the decisions and he provides the "name".

Jeez, all he did was offer his opinion on the subject and I personally think he's pretty near on the mark.

It's not like any of us haven't talked about other drivers when our favorites are at times less then perfect.

Junior is a top fifteen driver who consistantly beats two thirds of the field.Like the other big name drivers in that position ,he is just a set up away from running top ten every week. Wins are another story, ask Jeff Gordon how hard they are to come by.There isn't any question that as quickly as Mark Martin and Jimmy Johnston lost it, Junior could find it. Biffle said his team just stumbled onto a setup a couple races back and it has turned their season around. Anyway, you win as a team , lose as a driver.

Junior is a top fifteen driver who consistantly beats two thirds of the field.Like the other big name drivers in that position ,he is just a set up away from running top ten every week. Wins are another story, ask Jeff Gordon how hard they are to come by.There isn't any question that as quickly as Mark Martin and Jimmy Johnston lost it, Junior could find it. Biffle said his team just stumbled onto a setup a couple races back and it has turned their season around. Anyway, you win as a team , lose as a driver.

Jimmie Johson lost it?

Well , maybe he didn't lose it , but he started out this year on a rail . He isn't dominating like he was . Thats just how quickly you can lose momentum . He will get it back just as quickly without changing anything.

BLAB, BLAB, BLAB

who really cares ?

He is the most popular driver, has tons of cash, and is doing what most people who like racin would love to be doing.

Jealousy is a very nasty thing

I was listening to his scanner feed yesterday and that car was horrible from stat to finish. It was wicked loose for most of the race with none of the adjustments making a difference. At one point, they swapped the right front shock and it went to extremely tight. No middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom