Is Ford behind?

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

3wideinturn1

Team Owner
Pretty self explanatory thread. I've always been very intrigued by the competition between manufacturers and it seems to me Ford is behind this year but that's just my opinion. Just wanted to hear other's opinions on the battle of the brands, but please let's keep it friendly.

I'm going to throw this wild thought out there. Jack Roush loves to micro-manage. I wonder what would happen if he let go the reins a bit.
Damn sure couldn't hurt, at least let someone else check the sparkplugs for residue.

Penske seems to be gaining ground, but they are still a bit behind.

I pray Penske goes back to building their own engines. Roush / Yates cost them a lot this year. At the very least, lets see Roush/Yates/Penske engines next year, with Penske people in a few key positions.

They really were pretty slow at the first of the year, Kez was doing pretty good, but he might have been using the rearend that Nascar busted them for. After that they didn't qualify that well on any of the bigger tracks and were getting passed on the straights. Penske getting penalized and my opinion Jack's not wanting to share info or help, put those two Ford's of Penske in the bucket and the results are that both Penske's were screwed this year. Jack's stuff was slower but his two old hands were doing ok. But until either he helped or Ford stepped in or both, none of the Fords were going to compete that well without hardly any wins to speak of. Lately the last four races or so, all of the Fords are doing better on raw motor speed, but they still aren't there in the corners to use it. Logano won when his was handling well. Last I heard, all the makers were within 14 H.P. of each other, so it is pretty much all about handling. that is why it is so crazy on all the restarts they all run about the same speed, get closer to the front and the handling is better.

Penske seems to be gaining ground, but they are still a bit behind.

I pray Penske goes back to building their own engines. Roush / Yates cost them a lot this year. At the very least, lets see Roush/Yates/Penske engines next year, with Penske people in a few key positions.
while they are at it get the SRT people from Dodge.

The Penske engine guys certainly had fuel mileage figured out. It's also interesting that they had all those fuel pickup issues after switching to the EFI, I wonder if they have a unique setup they run at Penske.

I think that they have the speed. Cant really put my finger on why they're behind, there are a lot more Chevy teams so Im sure that's part of why they lack in wins... but with Toyota doing as well as they are its hard to say. I really think its just the luck of it.. just happens that the Ford drivers have had a few more bad breaks this year? That with the surplus of Chevy's and Toyotas getting wins of course it will look worse on the scoreboard.

Then of course there's the times where they have had winning cars and not capitalized.. I can think of 3 or more for Joey alone, then you got Brad, Carl, and Biffle.. they have been bad fast at the high speed tracks. Ragan won Dega... Ford drivers won both Michigan races, and like I said, I think Joey could have won at Kentucky, Bristol, Auto Club, Atlanta and more if the luck had fallen more their way.. BK had a couple shots and Carl has 2 wins on small tracks... if Ford won all the races they had the cars to win they would obviously be looking a lot better.. because after all, results are all that matters.

Im not sure its a lack of performance more than its a lack of luck that makes the Fords look like they're behind this season.

I don't think they are. Carl has been consistent all year, Biffle hasn't been great but certainly above average, Logano had a nice stretch of good runs, and Stenhouse is getting better.

Toyota is superior on the racetrack right now just like on the streets :growl:
I remember something about the Toyotas having to run a plate restricting CFM when they first came out. I don't know if that is still true.

*Edit - I just found an older article saying that the Toyotas were required to use a smaller plate on the plate tracks. I don't know if that still stands.

Last edited:
Im looking forward to next season already. To see how all the teams do after having a full season of the gen 6 under their belts with a fresh start.

:D According to you Joey should have won 27 out of 27 races. lol

Joey's had 2 race cars where he should have won the race and that was California and Michigan and he actually won at the latter. There were no indication that he had the fastest car and should have won those other races by right like you're pointing out.

The Fords stumbled right out of the gate, have gotten better but are still abit behind.

Ford should be glad Subaru isn't in NASCAR. This sure would look sexy on the racetrack.

subaru-wrx-concept-photo-510365-s-1280x782.jpg

:D According to you Joey should have won 27 out of 27 races. lol

Joey's had 2 race cars where he should have won the race and that was California and Michigan and he actually won at the latter. There were no indication that he had the fastest car and should have won those other races by right like you're pointing out.

The Fords stumbled right out of the gate, have gotten better but are still abit behind.
Okay well watching lap times during races gives u a pretty good idea of who has a better car. Bristol in the spring Joey clearly had a winning car but got all tangled up with Hamlin.. Kentucky he was in 2nd with 30 to go 1.5 seconds behind the leader and catching him over a tenth a lap.. would have caught him with about 20 to go and I don't see why he wouldn't have made the pass.. and I don't know how the hell you could say he didn't have the best car at Atlanta.

I also remember at the start of the year there was talk that the nose of the new Ford body was a little higher and possibly made for a slower aero package due to the higher drag, I don't know if there was anything to that or not though.

Even if you want to argue about Bristol or Kentucky... I really don't see anyone logically disagreeing that he had the best car at Atlanta. He clearly did and lost that race in the pits.

Okay well watching lap times during races gives u a pretty good idea of who has a better car. Bristol in the spring Joey clearly had a winning car but got all tangled up with Hamlin.. Kentucky he was in 2nd with 30 to go 1.5 seconds behind the leader and catching him over a tenth a lap.. would have caught him with about 20 to go and I don't see why he wouldn't have made the pass.. and I don't know how the hell you could say he didn't have the best car at Atlanta.

Going by that Gordon should have at least 150 wins by now.

One thing is catching the race leader and another is to pass him.

Lap times could be decieving at any point during a race. You have to take lapped cars into account for the leader and so on, Too many variables.

Only way to say this or that driver should have won the race is if he leads the most laps and fails to win the race for whatever circustances.

One thing is catching the race leader and another is to pass him.
Lap times could be decieving at any point during a race. You have to take lapped cars into account for the leader and so on, Too many variables.
That's why I said the first 2 are arguable... but at Atlanta he was in a class of his own and lost in the pits.

The Penske engine guys certainly had fuel mileage figured out. It's also interesting that they had all those fuel pickup issues after switching to the EFI, I wonder if they have a unique setup they run at Penske.

Brad said it turned out to be the pump lubricant micro beads in the fuel supply.

Even if you want to argue about Bristol or Kentucky... I really don't see anyone logically disagreeing that he had the best car at Atlanta. He clearly did and lost that race in the pits.

For the most part he was off sequence with the others so those laps led were misleading. Its easy to lead laps when you're off sequence with the rest by about 15 or so laps. lol

But he did have a fast car that maybe could have won it. But you cant say for certain.

We are trying to talk about Fords lack or not of performance. Not Joey.o_O and here comes a couple of thread wankers, give me a break will ya.

That Atlanta race he really got screwed by his crew... every time he came in he lost spots and only time he didn't he had a loose wheel... it was crazy watching him hold onto 2nd and leave 3rd behind on 22 lap older tires than everyone. Carl was in the same position on tires as Joey but leader on the restart and fell back to 15th or worse.

I remember something about the Toyotas having to run a plate restricting CFM when they first came out. I don't know if that is still true.

*Edit - I just found an older article saying that the Toyotas were required to use a smaller plate on the plate tracks. I don't know if that still stands.

Cup? I don't think so. It was Trucks and Nationwide where the Toyota's were hobbled a little because they were making too much HP. They were still left with the highest HP though.

Yes, this is about Ford's seeming lack of speed or whatever. And Joey does drive a Ford.
But let's not concentrate solely on Joey. What is happening with the rest of the Ford drivers?
I fully expected Edwards and Biffle to turn up the wick. They are doing well, but not what I expected.
Stenhouse has been showing some speed.

For the most part he was off sequence with the others so those laps led were misleading. Its easy to lead laps when you're off sequence with the rest by about 15 or so laps. lol

But he did have a fast car that maybe could have won it. But you cant say for certain.
Really? He was catching Kyle by 3 tenths a lap for the final laps.. like I said... got screwed by his crew because he came in 2nd and came out 3rd.. fell back to 6th because Kyle spun his tires and Truex went three wide.. he still went from 6th to 2nd in about 5 laps.. just like at the beginning of the race when he went from 11th to 1st in 25 laps.. which was awesome btw ...But that performance was there that week for FORD

Brad said it turned out to be the pump lubricant micro beads in the fuel supply.

Oh interesting, thanks Fender. So were there other teams dealing with that issue or just Penske? I won't even pretend like I know know what pump lubricant micro beads are haha

Yes, this is about Ford's seeming lack of speed or whatever. And Joey does drive a Ford.
But let's not concentrate solely on Joey. What is happening with the rest of the Ford drivers?
I fully expected Edwards and Biffle to turn up the wick. They are doing well, but not what I expected.
Stenhouse has been showing some speed.
Yeah actually Ive been surprised by STenhouse.. goes out and sits on the pole at Atlanta and then gets his first top 10 at Richmond and another one last night I think. Ford cant be doing that bad they did get 3 of their 5 main drivers in the chase.. and I don't think anyone really expected Stenhouse to make it in his rookie season.

Back
Top Bottom