Is it true that F1 has little to no passing?

furredracer88

Team Owner
I don't watch it that much so I wouldn't know but i have seen some people complaining about a lack of overtaking

I am a casual F1 follower. On Sunday for the Bahrain Grand Prix they said the track with was in the top 5 for average passes for all F1 tracks. They said there's an average of 46 passes per race at the track. Total passes throughout the field.

No, too much passing has been the issue. It's too much to keep up with.

Just kidding. The short answer is yes. It's not a stats thing, it's that faster cars get stuck behind slower cars due to the turbulence that extremely high downforce creates, and there is a frequent lack of ability for drivers to be able to get close enough to battle with each other. Some circuits are much better than others, but on the whole, they need to change the regulations to strip downforce and get the cars sliding around a bit in the corners, and to lessen the dirty air effect.

Senna is rolling over in his grave.....

This is more of an issue with the cars they've had since they went in the high downforce direction in 2017. In the late V8, early hybrid V6 era the cars didn't have nearly as much trouble trying to pass, but they also weren't raw downforce machines built explicitly to lap Circuit _____ in ____ seconds and set a bunch of lap records. The new aim, starting gradually this year and going more full-force with an entirely new regulations reset in 2021, is to take a good amount of that downforce away and allow for more natural overtaking and battling - with the idea in mind of even eliminating DRS.

It also doesn't help that running in someone's wake for an extended period of time in F1 kills the tires very easily, and the driver who was originally quicker is now both slower and sometimes could even have their entire strategy screwed up if they need to make an additional stop for tires - a large part of why there is such a big emphasis on tires and strategy in F1.

Back
Top Bottom