Is The Brickyard 400 Just Another Race Now?

P

PettyBlue

The concencus on last night's NASCAR Now program on ESPN seems to think so. The panel members seemed to think that a lot of the luster of racing at the famed speedway has gone away, and in fact that NASCAR really doesn't belong there after all. Last year's fiasco sure didn't help matters any.

The Brickyard 400 is just an event, not about the racing. Sure, the drivers want to win that race because it is Indy and pays pretty well. But the race itself is rather boring. I've heard ticket sales are really slow for this race. It will be interesting to see how low the attendance really is.

The Brickyard 400 is just an event, not about the racing. Sure, the drivers want to win that race because it is Indy and pays pretty well. But the race itself is rather boring. I've heard ticket sales are really slow for this race. It will be interesting to see how low the attendance really is.

I'd rather see them race at Kentucky. :rolleyes:

I think last year's embarrassment tarnished the history, prestige and tradition of the Brickyard 400.

Every race at Indy is boring. Doesn't matter if it's NASCAR or IRL.

It's just pointless tradition for tradition's sake. Indy is a track that's drunk on his own history. But when comes down to the racing, the track sucks.

The field gets spread out too quickly, there's only one racing groove, and it's not challenging to the drivers. There are much better tracks that don't have a race on the Cup schedule.

The only thing that will fix Indy is to add banking in the turns, and resurface the whole track.

On a side note, there was a poll on Speedtv.com asking if you'd rather watch the NASCAR Indy race on the road course.

I voted yes. Although the Indy road course is nothing compared to Sebring, I think anything would be better than running on the current configuration.

I'd rather see them race at Kentucky. :rolleyes:

I think last year's embarrassment tarnished the history, prestige and tradition of the Brickyard 400.

?!? The prestige and (especially) tradition pertains to the track itself. Hard to apply tradition to a race that only been around a few year.

Lots of hype and hoopla the first year, since then slowly going downhill, IMHO of course. Last years tire fiasco is sure to hurt ticket sales this year.

Lots of hype and hoopla the first year, since then slowly going downhill, IMHO of course. Last years tire fiasco is sure to hurt ticket sales this year.

I watched the '94 race last night. Man i wish swervin' Irvan could have hung on.
Tire problems bit him that year too!

If I had to rate races in order of importance(top 10):
1. Daytona 500
2. Bristol Night Race
3. Coca-Cola 600
4. Southern 500
5. Talladega Spring Race
6. Martinsville Fall Race
7. Watkins Glen
8. Richmond Spring Race
9. Brickyard 400
10. Chicagoland

Just personal opinion of course(since I know I am one of the few that truly enjoys the race at Chicagoland)

Oh no Spike, I think the Southern 500 is right behind the Daytona 500. Charlotte, Bristol and Homestead would also be ahead of Indianapolis.

Homestead is supposed to be where Watkins Glen is. Not sure what the hell I was thinking there.

BTW next year is the 10 year aniversay of
ChicagolandSpeedwayLogo.png

180px-2008_LifeLock.com_400_logo.png

BTW next year is the 10 year aniversay of
ChicagolandSpeedwayLogo.png

180px-2008_LifeLock.com_400_logo.png

It is?

Chicagoland Speedway broke ground in September 1999, and hosted its first race in July 2001. No matter which anniversary they're going by, they're a year off.

Back to task here... I have been to all of the races at the Brickyard and yes, it is just another race. I was there last year and watched about twenty races rolled into one thanks to Goodyear. I was not going to go back this year but changed my mind. :beerbang:

This is just my opinion but all of the races is just another race. And I love all of them.

It is?

Chicagoland Speedway broke ground in September 1999, and hosted its first race in July 2001. No matter which anniversary they're going by, they're a year off.
I was meaning 10th anniversary of that particular race. Just threw the speedway logo in there to be all fancy.

nASCAR needs to ditch Indy race like F1 did. I agree with Andy again, lets go racin in the "Bluegrass state". Indy is for open wheelers.

Check your math there foe.;)

Uh....no. Apprently I can do math better than a glorified rat.

Anyway, back on topic: I agree that Indy is for open-wheel races. Sure, NASCAR racing there 16 years ago was cool, but not anymore. NASCAR is really just a fund rasier for the track, and thus IRL.

It's time to move on, but I don't think that will ever happen. Like Indy or not, NASCAR is going to stay there because it brings legitimacy to the sport. With that in mind, the best thing to do is to improve the track. The only way that will happen is if it's sold to someone that actually cares about the quality racing there.

What the pest is saying is:

1. 2001
  2. 2002
  3. 2003
  4. 2004
  5. 2005
  6. 2006
  7. 2007
  8. 2008
  9. 2009
What's next?

Uhhh....Math 101 time Andy.

You have to complete a year before it can be an "anniversary." Thus, if the first race was held in July 2001, the first anniversary would be in July 2002.

1. 2002
  2. 2003
  3. 2004
  4. 2005
  5. 2006
  6. 2007
  7. 2008
  8. 2009
  9. 2010
  10. 2011

Or an easier way to figure it out is to take the year the first race was held in, and add 10 to it.

2001 + 10 = 2011

Thus the 10 year anniversary would be in July 2011. You can't lie to me Andy. I saw your math test from way back.

findx.jpg

Uhhh....Math 101 time Andy.

You have to complete a year before it can be an "anniversary." Thus, if the first race was held in July 2001, the first anniversary would be in July 2002.
  1. 2002
  2. 2003
  3. 2004
  4. 2005
  5. 2006
  6. 2007
  7. 2008
  8. 2009
  9. 2010
  10. 2011
Or an easier way to figure it out is to take the year the first race was held in, and add 10 to it.

2001 + 10 = 2011

Thus the 10 year anniversary would be in July 2011. You can't lie to me Andy. I saw your math test from way back.

findx.jpg

Care to explain why they had the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona 500 in 2008 then, oh wise one?

Care to explain why they had the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona 500 in 2008 then, oh wise one?

Because that was the "50th Running" of the Daytona 500. In other words, the 50th time the race had been held. That's different than an anniversary.

The first Daytona 500 was in 1959. Thus, the 50th anniversary of the Daytona 500 was in 2009, but it was the 51st event held.

So to say that 2010 is the 10th anniversary of the Chicagoland event is incorrect. That would be in 2011. If they said it was the 10th "running" of the event, then that would be correct.

Make sense now?

First off I dont know why I had to be called a pest.

Second off, why are you making such a big deal out of verbage? I mean srsly? Running of the event, anniversary, who cares...its the 10th time its happend.

Second off, why are you making such a big deal out of verbage? I mean srsly? Running of the event, anniversary, who cares...its the 10th time its happend.

I think Andy was refuring to his alternate Digger personality, not you.

I'm not making a big deal about the 10th race/running/anniversary thing. After I made my initial responce to your post, I understood what you had ment. It was the 10th time the race has been run, not the 10th anniversary.

I was just responding to Andy saying that my math sucked. I'm just being technical. As an IT geek, it's what I do. You can no more fault me than you can fault a hawk that kills a rabbit. It's just what he does.

I was calling roadkill (a.k.a. Digger) a pest, not you.;)

Great questions by the way. I should be able to run the article later this week.

As I sit here listening to Blind Melon and enjoying some...I wonder why people cant just all get along.

Yes!

Yes, it pretty much is just another race! It is quite lack luster now a days.

Well, I'd like to put in my 2 cents. But my wife says I have no cents.

Back
Top Bottom