Is the Bristol Night Race the 4th Jewel?

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
Had a debate about this last night. We all know last night, Daytona and the Southern 500 are the 3 jewels. Bristol night race has to be the 4th right? I’d say these are 4 races that the field basically couldn’t care about points, it’s just about winning that one. The energy at Bristol and historic moments is what takes the cake for me

It should be the Brickyard 400 but that was bastardized so I’m not sure if there’s a fourth crown jewel

No. Coke 600 is the 4th Crown Jewel race in NASCAR. Bristol night race is awesome but I've never heard anyone refer to it as a "crown jewel.

IMO its the Daytona 500, Coca Cola 600, Brickyard 400 and Southern 500. I hope the oval gets another shot with the new car I would be elated if the Brickyard 400 could reclaim its former place in the hierarchy due to the new car being awesome there. I would also hope the race could get some of its popularity back and recapture some of that pop, circumstance and pageantry that it once had if indeed the racing became awesome at Indy.

I want it to be the Brickyard because it's my home track technically. The racing has to live up to its end of the deal though.

For me, the Brickyard 400 was never a "Crown Jewel" race, Bristol night race?, absolutely a Crown Jewel race.

The Brickyard never belonged imo. The place just isn't suited as well for Cup cars and Nascar looked silly and second rate compared to the open wheel cars running the 500.
Maybe they could sh!t themselves à liitle more by planning an event at Churchill downs.

The Brickyard never belonged imo. The place just isn't suited as well for Cup cars and Nascar looked silly and second rate compared to the open wheel cars running the 500.
Maybe they could sh!t themselves à liitle more by planning an event at Churchill downs.
The Brickyard oval has always been a parade. It worked when Nascar was ga ga to many fair weather fans, but it lost it's luster a long time ago. Nascar tried about everything imaginable to get it to race well. It will never race well the way it is setup IMO and it would be crazy to change it and take a chance of screwing it up for Indycars. No business on the oval, the road course heck yeah.

Should NASCAR throw in the towel at IMS, Todd Parrott and Dale Jarrett will have left an indelible mark on the track's traditions.

1653997105295.png

The Brickyard 400 was a fine race until 2008.

And even after the infamous 2008 race and the years of boredom that followed, it was still a ratings blockbuster for networks and still carried a ton of prestige in the eyes of the racers. It was a race everybody wanted to win and points weren't a focus. It was the once a year chance to win at The Brickyard. To the drivers, to the teams, it was a crowned jewel event.

For the longest time I would’ve said Brickyard 400. I agree it’s the Bristol night race now.

I’m gonna go with the Brickyard 400. Anybody would still love to win that race. I don’t think they are interested in bringing back the oval but with the new car it could work well.

I think so too ……….and I’m going this year

been to Daytona and Darlington…..no to Indy cause you can’t see all the way around but loved watching on tv
kinda of biased cause Yates cars were stout

Bristol night is basically a crown jewel. It's an extremely popular race for a reason. Same with Indianapolis. I understand why NASCAR turned it into a road course. The oval was producing awful racing (according to some fans).

The summer Daytona race has great tradition as well. That said, there can't be too many crown jewels, I suppose.

When I die I want to go where you can smell combusted racing gas and hot tires. All racing is borderline magic. All are jewels, even weekly short track series.

JGR gets it.

On reddit and other avenues on social media , it seems the newer fans want to make the “crown jewel”races have some extra meaning or significance. I laugh because we had that, it was the Winston Million and later the No Bull 5. I’m actually of that thinking too, I hope something is done in the future to signify these races are a little bit more special, make it feel like how the PGA Majors feel. The stickers are a good start and I truly hope one of NASCAR’s sponsors step up in the future to do a bonus system when winning 3 of 4 of these races or 2 of 4 with a smaller bonus. Oh and btw, Daytona 500-Coca Cola 600-Brickyard 400 back on the oval in it’s late July early August slot-Southern 500 get my vote.

The Bristol Night Race and the Indy 500 are the two auto races in the US that I hope to be able to attend at some point.
I think it deserves to be considered a crown jewel, especially with the Brickyard 400 moving to the road course. I agree that crown jewel races should have an extra meaning, maybe they should pay higher price money and award more points than the other races.

The Bristol Night Race and the Indy 500 are the two auto races in the US that I hope to be able to attend at some point.
I think it deserves to be considered a crown jewel, especially with the Brickyard 400 moving to the road course. I agree that crown jewel races should have an extra meaning, maybe they should pay higher price money and award more points than the other races.

don’t put off going
had a chance to go to Bristol back when Davey was still racing……said no, don’t have the money
going to Bristol in September…….roughly 30 years later from my first chance

The Night Race is awesome. Go. As as soon as you can.

In addition, all four drivers mentioned that they considered the Bristol Night Race a crown jewel event and one of the most fun races of the year.

"Bristol (Motor Speedway) is a special place," Bowman said. "For me, growing up when I was a kid watching the sport, the Bristol Night Race was one of the biggest races of the year. To me, it still is. Just a cool place to win at."

According to HMS it’s the Daytona and Southern 500s, Coke 600, Brickyard, Bristol Night Race.

I think the Brickyard 400 is the 4th Jewel but Bristol Night, Talladega Fall, Firecracker 400 @ Daytona are contenders & No Bull 5 Million candidates too.

Back
Top Bottom