Is the Glen in danger of losing its dates?

NC HillBilly

Back home where I belong
Not to be a downer but I'm always sceptical of NASCAR anytime they start making changes. With the addition of the ROVAL and all the talk of Watkins Glen armco barriers being dangerous along with the spectacular crashes we've seen as of late in the more narrow parts of the track does anyone else feel like NASCAR brass might be thinking of moving those dates to another road course?

I'd hate to see Watkins Glen go because it's one of the better races on the schedule. I don't think they'll be able to install safer barriers there because it would require so a major overhaul of the circuit.

Not to be a downer but I'm always sceptical of NASCAR anytime they start making changes. With the addition of the ROVAL and all the talk of Watkins Glen armco barriers being dangerous along with the spectacular crashes we've seen as of late in the more narrow parts of the track does anyone else feel like NASCAR brass might be thinking of moving those dates to another road course?

I'd hate to see Watkins Glen go because it's one of the better races on the schedule. I don't think they'll be able to install safer barriers there because it would require so a major overhaul of the circuit.

they just spent a ton upgrading the track. It is owned by ISC:confused:

https://galleries.nascar.com/gallery/306/before-and-after-watkins-glen-repave#/0

I wasn't aware it was repaved but that still doesn't take care of the issue that keeps coming up every time they race there: it's too narrow to upgrade the barriers. I'm aware it's owned by ISC but that still doesn't mean they won't bump it in favor of another track.

Probably the last track that has to worry, now lets talk about the fear of losing Daytona right after the 400 million remodel. :D:D:D
I wouldn't be sad if Daytona went bye bye. It's a joke, a crash fest, and puts drivers in more danger than most races.

Road course racing is as popular as it ever has been in NASCAR. Watkins Glen generally gets a good amount of hype and interest, I think you'd see Kansas, Chicago, or another ISC facility lose a race before The Glen.

I don't think Watkins Glen losing its date is likely to happen in the foreseeable future. The track continues to draw in the fans and puts on a great show. I'm lucky enough to live within a four hour drive of that venue. Been there many times and have never been disappointed.

All that being said..... I never saw the Chase coming either.

I couldn’t find anything on Google or Twitter about Watkins Glen being in danger of losing their date. Is this a deathbedder or pure speculation thread? Maybe someone can start a thread “Is North Wilkesboro coming back in 2020?”

I think within the next 5 years or so the NASCAR season will get shorter and some of the tracks with 2 races will lose a date. Another possibility is that there will be some 2 race weeks as that could be accomplished by holding one during the week. I see shorter races and less of them in the future but WG seems safe to me.

the glen is a huge favorite of mine, and I think its always well attended

Watkins Glen annually produces one of the best races you will see, as well as one of the actually closest to capacity-crowds you will get. It is one of the few places that you can look at and go "NASCAR's gonna be fun for sure this weekend!"

Back
Top Bottom