Is this a problem for the NASCAR purist?

A

Alaska

I'm a relative newcomer to stock car racing and a born Yankee too, so I don't have any feeling one way or the other for all the changes the sport has gone through in recent years.

How about you??

Posted on Thu, Aug. 22, 2002
Score one more for NASCAR’s allure
By HOLLY CAIN
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Add a Fittipaldi to the Mears, Foyt and Andretti lineup. Only this isn’t a star-studded Indy car race, but NASCAR’s new face.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3916056.htm

Been a NASCAR fan for a long long time and was born and raised in the south. Still I don't know if I would be considered a NASCAR purist.

You may have caught an article linked a week or two ago about this subject. The author of that article felt that Christian would face a fair amount of resentment not because he came from the open wheel series, but more because he was not "American". Most everyone on this forum said such feelings were not part of their fandom.

Mine either, if he can handle the car and enjoys the competition more power to him. But I was a Fred Lorenzen fan when he was considered an interloper because he from Illinois and not the south.

I reckon the most purist stance I tend to take is that the name is not Nascar, or Na$car or any of those variants, the name is NASCAR.

Thanks, HS, I missed the previous article. Interesting that most felt his nationality didn't matter.

I'll bet if he dominates for a couple seasons he'll be resented as much for his heritage as his winning.

Another question. I recall an article somewhere early this year where the writer was predicting the upcoming season - "Jeff Gordon will shock the racing world by not winning any races" or something to that effect. Do you recall who wrote that?

Thanks again

I think newcomers are often on their own. No matter where they come from, but I think more so if they are already established as a non-stock driver.

I think most of the folks on this board have more respect for the little guys, newcomers, and cross-overs than on any other board I've ever been to.

A common cry is that AJ needs to go back to open wheel, or that the road course ringers have no biz at the track. It was thought by many that Ganassi would have a hard time breaking the top 25 due to not getting "inside the garage" type help yet 2 and half years later his car is leading the series. Not sure that there are many who could or have pulled that off no matter where they came from.

I don't rightly care who the sponsor, owner, or driver is. On any given race day, I tune in to watch a race without a whole lot of care for who is going to take the checkers or who is going to be the first behind the wall. I root like hecko for the new and little guys. And being from Vegas there's a spot in my thoughts for our hometown heros.

Other than that, it's just another race NASCAR style.

I guess in some ways I might consider myself a "purist". I don't want to see Hondas, Toyotas etc in our races. I go back to the early 70s as a fan, and have heard a lot of rumors and seen a lot of things in that time. I too remember to some degree when a driver not born of Southern stock was viewed by some with suspicion.

Call us Southerners what you will, but it's not intolerance, ignorance, hatred, or anything of that sort. Simply put, we are slow to change. Even that is disappearing in recent years with the advances in technology. But our values, ideas, traditions....these are slow to change. And thank God for it.

In the decades prior to this, NASCAR was primarily a Southern sport. There were races in Dover, Pocono, Michigan, California, and elsewhere, but the backbone of the sport lay in Dixie. I would estimate that, in the 1970s, roughly 70% of the fans lived in what would be considered a Southern state. Now, it's more like 30%. I think we take it a little more to heart here in some ways, but the sport has reached a more diverse market, which is a good thing. With this more diverse audience will come more diverse opinions. Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Parnelli Jones...all have won in Winston Cup in the 60s and 70s. These wins probably weren't as popular with the rank and file fan of that day as would have been a win by a Petty, Yarbrough, Allison or Pearson. But nobody got tarred or feathered either. It was seen more as a challenge to NOT let it happen again.

It's kinda like country music. Our fictional musician, Dwayne Gibson, could be from, say, Portland Oregon. Now, Dwayne could most certainly play country music in Portland area clubs, and maybe even make a decent living at it. But if he wants to get serious about it, he is probably going to load up his pick up truck and move to Nashville. There, the competition is greater by far than anything he could have ever faced in Portland. But his chances of making himself a star are also greater. Years ago, a country singer from Oregon would have had about as much hope of surviving in Nashville as a snowball in a skillet. Now, well, ask Shania Twain if it can be done by a non-Southerner.

I suppose my point is, it does hurt a purist's heart just a little to hear John Andretti introduced, simply because of the name association with the fenderless series. But that alone will not stop him from having what fans his on track abilities may secure for him. Fittipaldi will have some difficulty with the hard core fans...at first. If he proves himself capable in this series, he'll get better receptions in time. If he struggles, and should happen to make comments trying to justify his performance that are taken by the fans as whining or derrogatory to the team he is with or anything like that, he will rue the day.

I have no problem with where a driver was born. If he/she has the courage to strap themselves in and run with the big dogs, more power to them. If they make a success out of it, bravo, or brava, as the case may be! LOL

I'm rather flattered that "outsiders" think enough of NASCAR to give it try. They find out that they'd better bring their "A" game.

Fittipaldi didn't really have a choice...he wasn't gonna get an F1 ride and the IRL is for those with death wishes.

Back
Top Bottom