It's Dallara Again!

D

DanicaFan

Well, Dallara will be designing the new chassis for 2012. Different manufacturers will make body parts called "aerokits" on these chassis.

These kits include front & rear wings, sidepods, and engine covers. These kits will have to meet specs and be approved the series. The price of these new chassis is 45% decrease in cost. A rolling Dallara chassis will now cost $349,000. The new aerokit by Dallara will be $45,000 up to $70,000 the 2nd year. Also the weight of the cars drops 185 lbs to 1,380 lbs minimum.

The cars will be manufactured here in Indiana.

So basically, Dallara makes the chassis, but the body will be up to the teams?

So basically, Dallara makes the chassis, but the body will be up to the teams?

In a nutshell, yes. Dallara will produce the chassis, which is an improved safety cell tub and the teams are left to decide the bodywork or aerokits that are designed by any manufacturer. These kits have to meet specs and be approved the series before using. Each team can purchase up 2 different aerokits per season.

In a nutshell, yes. Dallara will produce the chassis, which is an improved safety cell tub and the teams are left to decide the bodywork or aerokits that are designed by any manufacturer. These kits have to meet specs and be approved the series before using. Each team can purchase up 2 different aerokits per season.

As in, 2 types per year, or only 2 kits per year? They way they race, i dont see 2 kits lasting all year.

so how long until 1 aero package is realized to be dominant and they all run it?

I think it's a good move, but I'm more excited about them calling out engine builders to get involved in IndyCar. I specifically remember them calling out Ford, GM, Lotus, and Ferrari to "step up to the challenge".

As in, 2 types per year, or only 2 kits per year? They way they race, i dont see 2 kits lasting all year.

Sounded like they ment 2 types all year. So probably one aero kit for road/street courses, and another for ovals.

Back
Top Bottom