Jack explanes what went wrong....

T

Tiny

JACK ROUSH, TOP ENGINEERS DIAGNOSE ATLANTA ENGINE FAILURES
Huntersville, NC (March 12, 2003) - Immediately following the race Sunday in Atlanta that saw four of the six teams that use Roush engines fall from the race, Jack Roush summoned his team of top level engineers in Livonia, Mich. and set out for Concord, NC on a mission to search out, identify and remedy the causes that forced the cars from the race.

Roush was relieved when the engine teardown revealed that only overly aggressive engine tuning and oil starvation triggered the engine failures.

The good news is that none of the very substantial horsepower gains that we have been making caused any of our problems. The bad news is that the tuning mistake was my own. Now I know how Rick Hendrick's engine guy felt after Talladega last fall, said Roush.

?I hurt pistons on the #6, #21,and #97 by tuning for fuel economy that just wasn't attainable for Atlanta and the #99's problem derived from a new oil pan that resulted in oil starvation, continued Roush.

We'll increase the piston-to-cylinder wall clearance somewhat, and enrich the carburetor modestly to solve the fuel tuning problem. Weve got some room in the carburetor due to our exceptional fuel mileage history. To solve the 99's oil starvation problem we'll slightly increase the oil-tank volume and perform a minor change to the new oil pan.

So we'll be fine in the future with both of these changes.

We've had good finishes this year and two of our drivers have led in the points, said Roush. It would be even better, but Kurt got in an accident at Las Vegas. Also, Las Vegas was the last race that we ran with the 2002 crankshaft configuration which we had earlier discovered couldn't keep up with our horsepower gains.

Unfortunately one of the last of the obsolete crankshafts chose to fail on Mark's car in Las Vegas. We received our supply of the updated crankshafts, which had been strengthened 30 percent in the area of Mark's failure, just in time for Atlanta.

It will be great to have all of that behind us, as we mount championship efforts for all of our drivers throughout the year.

The fact that he knowingly ran a questionable crankshaft design is kinda baffling. One can only guess that the new generation cranks were not ready yet, but how much does a bunch of OT cost compared to DNF'ing a race.....

I'm sure OT wasn't the reason. Perhaps design changes/time, testing, production delays? Don't think anyone on these forums knows.

What's going on at roush. Last year they recieve springs that do not conform to nascar rules. Then this year they continue to use last years crankshafts that they know are not as strong as new ones they have ordered.

Of course I don't know what the reasons were, but the reason we come here(or at least one of the reasons I do) is to think and analyze.

So let's go a step a further. If there was no way it was humanly possible to get the new generation cranks before Atlanta, what decision process was gone through. Obviously they knew the crank was a weakness, other wise the new generation crank would still not exist at all.

So why not run last season's engine configuration? You can hardly argue that RR was way behind on HP last year since all we heard about was how much they had gained from 2001. And the on track performance showed it. Daytona is a plate race, HP is way down anyway. Rockingham you can't put anywhere near the power you have to the track anyway, and Vegas seems more about getting through the flat turns and momentum than HP. Atlanta is different, there ya need the ponies.

I question the decision.

Add the Atlanta problems. Earlier this week I posted that I did not understand why you would push over the edge for fuel mileage at Atlanta, it seemed illogical. Atlanta rarely comes down to a fuel mileage race, it ain't Michigan.

Again I question the decision.

Jack wants a crown big-time, but he can't allow himself to become so swept up in winning everything in every way that he makes bad decisions. By reaching too far to grab the brass ring the teams only fall behind.

I respect Jack Roush as much as anyone, but that does not make him infallible.

My $.05

Hmmm, you learn from your mistakes...hopefully is doesn't cost you a championship or a sponsor in the process.

Back
Top Bottom