JD McDuffie

H

HardScrabble

It's a couple of days early, but this article was written today and is worth reading.

A part of the tragedy not mentioned here is that Jimmy Means was involved in the wreck as well. When JD's crashed into the barrier it rebounded up into the air and Jimmy's out of control car actually ran underneath it. JD's car landed on top of Means' and then rolled off. Jimmy, a struggling independent himself, was the first to reach the car to check on JD. Many say that Jimmy "Smut" Means while physically unharmed, never raced with his full heart there after.

Recalling one who gave all
By Thomas Pope
Motorsports editor

On Sunday, NASCAR Winston Cup drivers tackle the road course that is Watkins Glen International. The date: August 11.

What’s special about August 11? It was on a Sunday afternoon, August 11, 1991, that J.D. McDuffie died at The Glen.

The race was only on its fifth lap when a suspension part failed on McDuffie’s car as he came to the end of a long straightaway. A wheel broke off and robbed McDuffie of his ability to steer the car, and he slammed passenger-side first into a wall of tires that was backed by steel guardrail. By the time his battered Pontiac came to rest on its roof, the 52-year-old Sanford native was dead of a fractured skull.

“The car was traveling so fast that I didn’t know whose it was until after impact,” said ESPN announcer Ned Jarrett, who was covering the race from a tower 75 feet from the crash scene.

It was a quick, brutal end to a hard life. In more than 25 years on the scene, McDuffie started 653 Winston Cup races and won none of them. His average post-race paycheck? Barely more than $2,000.

Yet despite the pleas of his family to put his knowledge to work as a crew chief for someone else -- and earn a dependable wage -- McDuffie stubbornly carried on.

“Racing is my life,” he once said. “If I don’t run, I don’t eat. This ain’t a weekend hobby to me.”

More than 3,000 people filed through Bridgers-Cameron Funeral Home to try and console McDuffie’s widow and children. Another 700, including fellow drivers Richard Petty, Dave Marcis, Jimmy Means and Lake Speed, attended his funeral services the following day.

McDuffie was “someone who loved the sport enough to invest his entire life in it,” said driver Brett Bodine, “and ultimately did invest his life into it.”

Many of the current generation’s drivers endured tough times on their way to racing’s upper echelons. Now they are wrapped up in jets, helicopters, yachts, mansions and other material trappings.

J.D. McDuffie couldn’t have dreamed of those things. His thoughts were of simple matters, such as Tampa Nugget cigars or how to find enough gas money to drive his hauler -- a ramp truck, mind you, not an 18-wheeler -- to the track.

Come Sunday, when you see one smiling millionaire after another climb into his race car, pause for just a moment to remember one poor man who laid everything on the line at Watkins Glen.

Well said TRL. This sport IMO has suffered as the independents have been squeezed out. That makes Kulwicki's championship that much sweeter. McDuffie, Means, Lennie Pond, Dave Marcis, Buddy Arrington, GC Spencer....these guys may not have won dozens of races, but they added a flair, a certain amount of character to a race. Closest thing we have today is Carl Long.

Really makes you look at the guys racing these days....especially when they throw their little fits and crack up their cars following a race

I was specifically speaking of the display that Busch put on for the umpteen thousands of fans watching the race. Besides Rusty hasn't "thrown a fit "in awhile, maybe has grown out of it :)

I don't have a "favorite driver".

I like the sport, not celebrities.

I saw that race......I heard Ned try to be optimistic......I turned the tv off when they red flagged it. I knew it was bad. JD McDuffie was one fine man.

Even though I was about 4 and to young to know who JD was, I can now remeber who he was through stories and other people's memories. Thanks for the reminder as TRL said.

Originally posted by Lap3Forever

and what is your AOL S/N?

A screen name means nothing lap3......I once had a screen name of "Betty Crocker". I had to come up with one and I looked at my coffee maker (Betty Crocker) and made it that one!!:)

I was wondering if JD's death would be mentioned by the broadcast crew today.I remember listening to the race on the radio when JD had his accident. The sport lost a real original when he died. A damn shame.

R.I.P JD. We miss you and your old #70 Pontiac.

Back
Top Bottom