Jeff Gordon offered F1 seat...

B

BebiF1

Well he was offered a seat. After the Gordon won his second straight title in NASCAR, the BAR formula one outfit offered Gordon a ride in 2001. BUT, there was a lot of conditions that Gordon had to do first and he claims it was just way to risky to give up being on top of NASCAR for a chance at F1. These conditions included two full seasons in CART running the defunct KOOL green team that was sponsered by BAR then as well as testing duties for the F1 outfit. BAR would then make their decision based on his speed in their car and his learing from CART. Gordon showed suprising speed in his Williams-BMW test this month but as of now has not been talked to for a ride next year.

I personally would love to see him in F1, but when did a NASCAR hillbilly get an F1 ride? I think he would be great in any series but I really doubt anything will come from it.

hahahaa...is this a joke? Sorry no offence to Jeff or NASCAR fans but geez...are they handing out F1 licenses in breakfeast boxes now? :lol:

pretty funny tiger, but Gordon is a really good driver, he is one of the last drivers that can jump into anything with wheels and be competetive fast. I think the funny part is going from NASCAR to F1, not the driver. But look at other things, a lot of IRL and CART drivers are going to NASCAR. Whats up with that? I would say a step down the ladder.

How about if Mark Webber won 4 Winston cups, and was offered a F1 seat, that would rock wouldn't it?

Same thing for the Americas, Jeff Gordon in F1 would be sweet, all this talk about the americans in F3000 and their chances for F1 and perhaps the best suit might be Jeff Gordon. Not very likely I think we all know, but hey he was offered.

I would say the open wheels are stepin down, but stepin up in $$ and fame for sure.

And what boxes are these license coming from, because I want one, hehe.

Jeff will never go to F1 unless, he gets banned from NASCAR somehow. There is just no way.

How much does F1 pay. I understand that Jeff Gordon is collecting around $1 million per month in Nascar.

Originally posted by NateDogg@Jun 28 2003, 09:26 AM
How about if Mark Webber won 4 Winston cups, and was offered a F1 seat, that would rock wouldn't it?

Same thing for the Americas, Jeff Gordon in F1 would be sweet, all this talk about the americans in F3000 and their chances for F1 and perhaps the best suit might be Jeff Gordon.  Not very likely I think we all know, but hey he was offered.

I would say the open wheels are stepin down, but stepin up in $$ and fame for sure. 

And what boxes are these license coming from, because I want one, hehe.
FYI Mark has been driving open wheelers his WHOLE life dude, and Mark DOES have an F1 seat, which he has earnt through his background in open wheelers. Being American or Australian has nothing to do with it and that had nothing to do with my post, but I apologise if you took it that way. And yes of course Australians are extreamly happy Mark has a seat as much as Americans would be happy if Jeff got an F1 seat. But the fact is Mark is an F1 driver not a touring car driver. Mark didn't go from touring cars to F1...he went from F3000 to F1. It would be like if Mark Skaife in the Australian touring car series (V8 Supercars) got a F1 seat...it would be a HUGE laugh and even as a huge Skaife fan I would laugh my head off in disbelief! Unless Jeff is in F3000 now and I missed something? As I don't follow American NASCAR or F3000.

Muggle, depends on the driver and the team...like in Minardi at least one of the drivers would be paying the TEAM to drive! And the other would be under a million. Then there would be those just over a million etc...all the way up to MS, although Villy is the second or third highest paid driver...work that out?

thats my fault for not clairifing it better. I know Mark has been in open wheel all his life. I wouldn't imagine there is anything like Nascar down there. I really didn't have anything to compare it too, so I just put a if scenario from someone from you own place, but that didn't work too well, hehe. Skaife is a much better scenario eh! Jeff Gordon going to F1 would be a true bizzaro world. Two totally different ends of racing would be linked. Anyway, :cheers:

Jeff Gordon is from Vallejo, California so he's not really a northerner, hillbilly or anything. No, I wouldnt want Jeff going to F1 because we need him here in NASCAR more than we need him in a Formula Car. But if I was him, it'd be a good move cause I'd be making much more than I'd be in NASCAR (P.S what Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. earn in NASCAR is pocket change compared to that which Schumacher earns in F1).

Going from anything into CART or F1 is a step up with F1 being the goal. I think every father wishes to see his son sitting in an F1 ****pit and not exactly a stock car. And of course if Jeff were to go somewhere such as Williams, Jaguar being an american team but no drivers, or BAR would be great. But getting stuck in a Minardi, Jordon or Sauber wouldn't work because they are privatier teams and require drivers to pay for thier ride as well as bring major sponsership onboard. A good example of this is Jos Verstappen and Justin Wilson having themselves on the stock market so people invest in the driver instead of companies. Brings in money but you better do well or you will have a lot of unhappy pennyless people.

Originally posted by NateDogg@Jun 29 2003, 01:49 AM
thats my fault for not clairifing it better. I know Mark has been in open wheel all his life. I wouldn't imagine there is anything like Nascar down there. I really didn't have anything to compare it too, so I just put a if scenario from someone from you own place, but that didn't work too well, hehe. Skaife is a much better scenario eh! Jeff Gordon going to F1 would be a true bizzaro world. Two totally different ends of racing would be linked. Anyway, :cheers:
We do have NASCAR here but it's very, very small, so yeah not really anything like the real thing over there. It just seemed like you'll made out I don't understand because he's American or something? And like I said, if Skaife went from V8's to F1...HAHAA...Skaie himself would roll over laughing!! Same thing for Jeff (nothing to do with being American)...BAR have heaps of test drivers even, so I'm sure if they needed someone fast they would pick one of them.
(P.S what Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. earn in NASCAR is pocket change compared to that which Schumacher earns in F1).
Might have something to do with Michael being the best driver in the world, in the pinnacle of motor sport, in a team that has endless amounts of income...lol. You really can't compair Jeff to Michael...puh-lease!! :p

I'm sure there are many more other Americans in better positions to get an F1 drive?? Wondering who they might be because I have nooo idea?

The link doesn't work, might have something to do with the move of server yesterday?

Back
Top Bottom