Jeff Gordon's response to critics

4xchampncountin

Gordon: 'I'm just racing as hard as I can'
By Dick Brinster, Associated Press June 12, 2003
1:03 PM EDT (1703 GMT)

LONG POND, Pa. (AP) -- Jeff Gordon scoffs at the notion that he's becoming some kind of a bully on wheels.

Jeff Gordon

Recent spinouts of competitors have led critics to charge that the four-time Winston Cup champion is doing some unnecessary bumping and banging as it becomes obvious he isn't dominating the circuit any longer.

But Gordon has news for them. He realized long ago that the level of competition would prevent anyone from controlling the sport as he did while getting 50 of his 62 career victories between 1995 and 1999, and he says he didn't change his driving style just a few weeks ago.

"I've never felt like I was ever going to let anybody push me around," he said. "We're all 3,400 pounds out there on the racetrack.

"I'm not doing things out there to try to show people that. I'm just racing as hard as I can."

Too hard, according to Sterling Marlin, who was spun out twice in the last four races.

"He's always had the reputation as a driver that wasn't going to run over you," Marlin said. "But I don't know now."

Gordon would like to race the way he did when he broke in 10 years ago, when style and consistency were so important. But he says parity in the sport has tightened the field, creating more contact between cars.

He apologizes for spinouts of Marlin and Ward Burton, and acknowledges that NASCAR told him to calm down in the car. But Gordon says races are very difficult to win without aggressive moves, something he insists most drivers are making.

"There's not near as much give and take these days as there used to be, because track position is so much more important," he said. "You have to race harder every lap for every position.

"You used to be able to say, 'I'm going to let this guy go, and it's not going to matter. In the long run I'm going to run him down.' But no longer."

He spun out Marlin and wrecked Burton from behind on a straightaway in The Winston all-star race. Two weeks later, he spun out Marlin in Dover, Del.

Gordon contends he and Marlin -- who spun him out twice in the last three seasons -- race each other harder than most competitors and that the crashes were not intentional. He says he was being pressed by Dale Earnhardt Jr. and was forced into a move that wrecked Burton in The Winston.

"I meant to tap Ward, but our bumpers didn't meet up right, and boom, I turned him," Gordon said. "It wasn't that I was out of control. It was just a dumb move."

But Marlin questions Gordon's tactics against him.

"Two times in the last three weeks?" he asked rhetorically before they raced without a problem Sunday in the Pocono 500. "He's a better racer than that."

Gordon also has had past run-ins on the track followed by bitter words with three other series champions -- Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace and Tony Stewart.

Marlin finds some of the rough stuff puzzling, in part because he and Gordon raced peacefully for most of the last decade.

"I never really had any trouble with him but ... he got us twice," Marlin said.

The Dover crash is what really annoyed Marlin, who had a chance to win. Because he allowed considerable room for the pass, Marlin finds it hard to believe Gordon made contact.

"It's one thing if you pinned him down and he got loose and spun into you," Marlin said.

Gordon, who races again Sunday at Michigan Speedway, says the flurry of spinouts is erroneously perceived to be out of character for him.

"People want to make a big deal out of it," he said. "But it's really not out of character when you're me and you've been racing since you were 5 years old and you basically do what it takes to get by a guy.

"If I'm in a position to pass a guy clean I'm going to pass him clean. If not, I'm going to do everything to get by him if the time is right."

Gordon once was viewed as a driver who could pushed around, but now is seen as one who pushes back, crew chief Robbie Loomis said.

"He's probably still one of the cleanest guys out there when he's treated clean and fairly," Loomis said. "But if you try to race him in a manner that he doesn't think is clean and fair, then he's going to treat you the same way."

Gordon says there's no bumping out of frustration, because he insists he is not dissatisfied. He feels blessed to have had such a magnificent career at 31, an age at which most drivers are just breaking in or hoping to establish themselves.

Gordon looks around and sees outstanding younger racers such as protege and teammate Jimmie Johnson, Ryan Newman, Kurt Busch, Earnhardt and series leader Matt Kenseth. They're all recent additions to a star-studded gallery of champions such as Stewart, Jarrett, Wallace and Bobby Labonte.

After contact with Jeff Gordon, Sterling Marlin hits the inside wall at Dover.
So, Gordon isn't surprised that his five-year victory run of seven, seven, 10, 13, and seven couldn't be sustained indefinitely. He also feels fortunate because he won most of the time when he should have and often when he didn't have the best car.

Now, winning three times or so each year isn't so bad.

"I think somebody can win five or six races, but I don't think you're going to see anybody win more than that," he said.

It's still about winning races and championships, but Gordon believes a great part of the thrill of racing is the competition itself.

"I just want to be leading laps, I want to run up front," he said. "If that doesn't happen, then I'll be frustrated.

"If we pull off wins, great. If we don't, I've had so much success in the sport that it isn't going to ruin my career."

I think he is driving a little bit more aggresive than he has been in the past, but not extremely so. I find his slightly more aggresive attitude refreshing.

Gordon: 'I'm just racing as hard as I can'
By Dick Brinster, Associated Press June 12, 2003

IMO, I think he will do what it takes, like any driver should, to win that championship. He took that win took that win from Rusty, and spun him out on the last lap or so. Rusty may have done the same thing if the tables were turned, but I don't think so. Jeff will continue that "hard" racing untill NASCAR talks to him. Untill that time I guess it's ok. I just don't want to hear from Jeff if someone is racing "hard" against him.

NASCAR has already talked to Jeff Gordon about settling down in the car!IMO He isn't doing any worse actions than a lot of other drivers out there!I don't reacall any big fuss when Jeff Burton slipped up in front of Jeff Gordon(last year)without leaving enough room forcing Jeff to slightly brush the wall with the right front of the #24 car,that was a dangerous move IMO,but in a lot of fans eyes it's fine when Jeff is on the receiving end of such dastardly moves on the track,but far different story when Jeff is dishing it out,LOL,that 2 faced BS works both ways IMO!
Sterling Marlin messed up Jeff's car on 3 occassions in last 2 years,but not many fans yelled foul on those occassions,Rusty Wallace has been moved out of the way by Jeff Gordon,but that's nothing compared to some of the punting that Rusty has done to Jeff!IMO it's a 2 way street & drivers that can't take retributuion shouldn't dish it out in the first place,JMO!
I lalso like JG's new aggressive style,although it really pales in comparison to the late Dale Earnhardt Sr's actions on the track,it's getting results as Jeff Gordon leads the Cup Series with 699 laps led & also is leading in the miles led category!Keep it up Jeff & about 3 or 4 more wins please!!!!Go #24!!!! :D

Originally posted by Bucky Badger@Jun 13 2003, 07:50 AM
Rusty may have done the same thing if the tables were turned, but I don't think so.
Bucky, Rusty said it "I probably would have done the same thing" to get the win. I even tried to get him back but just couldn't get to his car.

There is definitely a double-standard where bumping is concerned. When most people do it, they are considered "aggressive". When Jeff does it the ABGers call it "reckless", or "dangerous" or "uncalled for". Envy is an ugly thing. :unsure:

Whether it's labled aggressive or dangerous,I just dont like that style of racing.And I dont like it if Kurt does it either.Sterling was right in his statement.I always thought Jeff was a little above those tactics.Yeah,Rusty would have done it,Tony or Kurt would have done it.Still ain't right and never neccesary.To add insult to injury ,now we are being fed the revisionist history "I've always raced like that".

Give us a break Jeff.Maybe your PR department told you the Earnhardt following might take to you a bit more if you wreck a few every now and then?

Originally posted by majestyx+Jun 13 2003, 08:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (majestyx @ Jun 13 2003, 08:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bucky Badger@Jun 13 2003, 07:50 AM
Rusty may have done the same thing if the tables were turned, but I don't think so.
Bucky, Rusty said it "I probably would have done the same thing" to get the win. I even tried to get him back but just couldn't get to his car. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I know what he said, but it's hard to really say unless it happened. He may have punted him or he may come to his sences just before he actually hit him. Most drivers have an aggressive side when the time arises.

Back
Top Bottom