Jeff Purvis Update

H

HardScrabble

From "The Tennessean"

Crash gave Purvis new outlook, tough decision

Commentary by LARRY WOODY
Staff Writer

Race driver Jeff Purvis is on the mend after a near-fatal crash, with a new bride and a new outlook on life.
The only thing that hasn't changed is his desire to race.
''I do miss it,'' said Purvis yesterday from his home in Clarksville. ''I don't miss being in the spotlight or any of the other stuff related to racing, … I just miss racing. I've always loved it, and even after everything that has happened, I guess I still love it.''

Purvis, who suffered severe head and neck injuries along with a broken leg in a Busch Series crash this spring, stopped short of saying he will race again some day.

''When it comes time to make that decision, there will be more people than me involved in it,'' Purvis said, referring to his wife Margo, who he married during his convalescence, and his sons, Thomas and Clay.

''It's still going to be quite awhile before I'm recovered well enough to even seriously consider it. I do know this, though: Whatever I decide, it's going to be a very difficult decision.''
Purvis said he's walking up to 10 miles a day and is no longer in pain, but he's not fully recovered either. He still wears a neck brace to protect two fractured vertebrae.

''I went through a 'why me' phase when I was bitter about what happened to me, but I'm over that now,'' Purvis said. ''I realize I'm lucky to be alive. I've learned more these last few months than from any experience in my life, with the exception of the birth of my sons. I've learned to appreciate little things, like a note or a phone call from a friend … things I'd never paid much attention before.''

He also has had more time to watch racing on television. He's watching with a critical eye.

''I think, 'Now, I could do better than that,' '' he said with a laugh.

i am sure he will be back and his wife will support him. if not, a lot of men would lose their manhood if someone else makes the decision for them;)

Back
Top Bottom