Jimmie Johnson - SEVEN time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion

YES YES YES!!!!!! CONGRATS TO JIMMIE JOHNSON AND THE #48 TEAM ON THEIR SEVENTH CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Great for Jimmie and Chad ..bad for us ...we have to live with the constant comparisons

Kinda brings back nostalgia from his streak of 5 :p Congrats Jimmie #se7en

NASCAR got what they wanted. More importantly, Brian France got his "greatest of all time" superhero to market the hell out of forever. Couldn't be any more scripted if they tried.

Congrats to Jimmie Johnson though. He's the best. He would've gotten #7 at some point if not this year.

Far from his most deserving championship year, but we all know the Chase Lottery isn't about deserving. Right place right time. Beneficiary of the WWE carnage set up by invisible debris.

Can't wait to see the new Chase format for 2017 that will stem from this.

NASCAR got what they wanted. More importantly, Brian France got his "greatest of all time" superhero to market the hell out of forever. Couldn't be any more scripted if they tried.

Congrats to Jimmie Johnson though. He's the best. He would've gotten #7 at some point if not this year.

Far from his most deserving championship year, but we all know the Chase Lottery isn't about deserving. Right place right time. Beneficiary of the WWE carnage set up by invisible debris.

Can't wait to see the new Chase format for 2017 that will stem from this.

If they got what they wanted, why change the format?

No offense to Johnson fans. But what Johnson has done is in no comparison to what Petty and Earnhardt did. Those guys had to win it over the whole season, not a 10-race format where Johnson has won all of his.

Jimmie is 41... Mark Martin was winning races and contending for championships at 50. Jimmie might not be done yet.

Jimmie is the same age where the other two won their last one. But the format is different, so there's that.

No offense to Johnson fans. But what Johnson has done is in no comparison to what Petty and Earnhardt did. Those guys had to win it over the whole season, not a 10-race format where Johnson has won all of his.

Petty won championships against five drivers using point systems in which money earned at Daytona effected the points won at North Wilkesboro. Earnhardt won under a consistent points system, but is hard to argue that the competition was as stiff as today. I say this not to discredit 3 and 43, but to make the case that Johnson was the best under the circumstances he raced under, just as those drivers were.

To be fair, Johnson managed to win seven Championship under gods who know how many different chase format. There's also the matter of his 80 wins. So I do think Johnson deserves to be spoken in the same breath as Earnhardt and Petty.

Good for JJ & CK but it is 6 champs plus 1 lottery win but in reality those 2 guys are good enough to win under any system.

To be fair, Johnson managed to win seven Championship under gods who know how many different chase format. There's also the matter of his 80 wins. So I do think Johnson deserves to be spoken in the same breath as Earnhardt and Petty.
yes it does, 5 in a row is in class by its self.

Good for JJ & CK but it is 6 champs plus 1 lottery win but in reality those 2 guys are good enough to win under any system.

Oh gods, can we please not start this? I'm pretty sure the fact that Johnson and Chad has won seven championship over 10 years, in god knows how many different chase format Brian France put them through has proved once and for all that it doesn't matter what the points system is, sooner or later Johnson and Chad will rise to the top to claim a title.

I'm a lifelong Earnhardt fan. Jimmie deserves to be mentioned along Dale Sr. and Richard Petty. He's won his 7 titles the SAME way Dale and Richard did, by winning in the system that was in place at the time.
He's 100% worthy of joining the club.
Congrats to the 48 fans on here.

Johnson is an all time great driver. Not up for debate.

The legitimacy of his recording tying championship has been diminished by a bull**** points system and constant manipulation by a sanctioning body hell bent on turning NASCAR into a carnival side show

Petty won championships against five drivers using point systems in which money earned at Daytona effected the points won at North Wilkesboro. Earnhardt won under a consistent points system, but is hard to argue that the competition was as stiff as today. I say this not to discredit 3 and 43, but to make the case that Johnson was the best under the circumstances he raced under, just as those drivers were.

Very well said. This format is garbage, and Johnson is far and away the most accomplished of his era and on equal footing to others who were the most accomplished of theirs. Both can be true.

Last edited:
You can not like the Chase but I don't think it's fair to discredit the champion, his team, and their sponsors who worked their tails off all year to get to that point.

At the end of the day JJ is a 7 time champion and deserves to be up there (imo above) Petty and Sr.

Oh gods, can we please not start this? I'm pretty sure the fact that Johnson and Chad has won seven championship over 10 years, in god knows how many different chase format Brian France put them through has proved once and for all that it doesn't matter what the points system is, sooner or later Johnson and Chad will rise to the top to claim a title.

"Good for JJ & CK but it is 6 champs plus 1 lottery win but in reality those 2 guys are good enough to win under any system."

We agree.

You can hate it, or you can love it, but Jimmy now has seven championships. He has earned them all. He has done what the rules required to be champion. You can argue weather it stacks up with the king, and big E, but the fact is, he now has seven. Quite an accomplishment no matter how you slice it. Did he have the best season? No, that would go to Kevin Harvick. Now the truth is out there for all to see. THE CHASE IS A SHAM. It does not diminish what was achieved today, by any means. I have no illusions that the chase is here to stay. My only complaint, is that the drivers that had the best year, in the top three levels of NASCAR, were not rewarded accordingly.

I'll never say Jimmie Johnson isn't one of the best drivers of all time but did Petty or Sr ever have nascar help them with a bs caution to win a 1 off race to win a championship? Exactly.

You can hate it, or you can love it, but Jimmy now has seven championships. He has earned them all. He has done what the rules required to be champion. You can argue weather it stacks up with the king, and big E, but the fact is, he now has seven. Quite an accomplishment no matter how you slice it. Did he have the best season? No, that would go to Kevin Harvick. Now the truth is out there for all to see. THE CHASE IS A SHAM. It does not diminish what was achieved today, by any means. I have no illusions that the chase is here to stay. My only complaint, is that the drivers that had the best year, in the top three levels of NASCAR, were not rewarded accordingly.
you can only play by the rules, and he won. end of story.

I'll never say Jimmie Johnson isn't one of the best drivers of all time but did Petty or Sr ever have nascar help them with a bs caution to win a 1 off race to win a championship? Exactly.
but that wasn't the way the game was played back then. he did what he needed to do.

Petty and Earnhardt drove very different cars though, rear steer no power and bias ply tires, shocks, suspension and brakes were awful, there was never and never will be a driver that could get the most out of a bad car as Earnhardt. That's not to knock JJ but seriously I don't think he'd stand a chance in an old school stock car.

Back
Top Bottom