Joe Niekro's knuckler Lives on thru a 12 yr old Gitl

muggle not

Team Owner
I encourage you to read the whole article. Joe Niekro was evidently a pretty good guy.

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/03/joe-niekros-knuckler-lives-through-arm-of-12-year-old-girl

Joe Niekro's Knuckler Lives Through Arm of 12-Year-Old Girl

PLANT CITY, Fla. -- As an organ donor, pitching great Joe Niekro left his eyes behind so another man could see. He left his liver, kidneys and heart so three others could live today.

He left a unique and special gift -- his famed knuckleball -- to a precocious little girl who could be on the verge of inspiring a whole new generation of baseball players.

Chelsea Baker, only 12, has learned to make that pitch dance, to magically make it move like a butterfly on its way to home plate, baffling and befuddling young hitters. Like Joe taught her, shortly before his death in 2006 (the two are seen in the photo above).

"Joe would be so proud, so really proud,'' said Debbie Niekro, Joe's widow who has watched Chelsea pitch several times. "He really liked Chelsea. He loved the way she listened, and learned at that age. He knew she was going to be something special.''

Niekro was 61 when he died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. At the time, he was helping coach a Little League team on which Chelsea and his own son played in his adopted hometown of Plant City.

Chelsea was 8 when he died, too young to quite understand how final death would be, but old enough to understand the gift that Niekro had left her. It gave her a passion for the game, and specifically for the pitch.

"I bugged him to teach me because I never could hit that knuckleball when he would throw it to me in batting practice. He always said it was a secret, but he finally taught me, and we worked on it a lot,'' Chelsea told FanHouse last week after a game. "I love throwing it. My catcher says it's so nasty.''

And the batters can't touch it. Although there are many young girls peppered across America now playing Little League Baseball with the boys, there are only a few who can dominate as Chelsea does.

She has thrown two perfect games within the past year, including one in an All-Star Game. She is unbeaten this season in nine starts, throwing 54 innings and striking out 103 batters while allowing only four runs. She also is hitting .569, playing third base when she doesn't pitch.

Great story muggle and thanks for reminding me of Joe. Along with his older brother Phil, they were my favorite knucklers to watch. As a catcher, I was glad that I never had to catch a knuckler. I will always remember that large mitt that was used behind the plate when they pitched.

Yep, Joe was a good guy.

TRL, thanks for fixing the link so it works.

I could not get enough baseball when I was a kid and into my younger years. I hope that the girl goes on and becomes really successful in the "big time". Joe Niekro must have been a special guy.

Nowadays all we get is the stories about guns, women, etc with the athletes. It is good to remember that there were 'good athletes" at one time. :)

Back
Top Bottom