Jr on the radio

H

HardScrabble

Seems that Jr usually has at least one good remark every weekend and his fan club does a great job of digging them out. This weeks' pick of the lot:

Best Radio Conversations:
Not all of the best or most entertaining radio conversations take place on race day. Friday's practice and qualifying produced some exciting moments, including Dale Jr. avoiding a possum that wandered onto the course on his qualifying lap. Earlier in the day, Dale Jr. rolled to a stop during the practice session with a loose rear axle, leading to a lengthy delay to return to the pits via tow truck…
Tony Eury Jr: "Where y'at?!?"
Dale Jr. "Who knows?! I broke at turn one so now I am at… (pause) who-knows-what-turn… (pause) I'm at 'www.who-the-hell-knows.com…'"

More Dale Jr. quotes from race day:

"I apologized to Tony Jr. (Eury, car chief) and the guys after I spun out. The car was pretty good - and I felt like I was quicker than the guys in front of me at that point in the race. I got inside (Jeff) Gordon, and when I jumped on the brakes, they locked and I was just hanging on. I got out after the tow truck pulled the car out of the gravel and right into the wall. That was the damage to the back of the car - I didn’t do that - the wrecker did!"

"I felt like we were going to have a really good finish. I was 15th when I went off, so that’s an improvement for us. I feel like we’re getting better and better at the road courses. I was having fun and I drove my butt off every corner of every lap. It was really hard to pass, so track position was critical. I was behind Boris (Said, a renowned road racer) and I really felt like we were faster than him, but I just couldn’t get past him anywhere."

Following the final pit stop of the day on lap 52, the team believed that they had enough fuel to continue to the finish, but did not want to take any chances. Under the yellow flag, they encouraged the driver to save fuel as best he could.

Tony Jr. "Third gear, please, Dale Jr..."

Tony Eury Sr. (crew chief): "You have enough, but just don’t pump on that gas pedal."

Dale Jr. (in a mocking tone) "I dunno... I’m not really a believer..."

Tony Sr: "Yeah, well, this time you ARE gonna make it."

Dale Jr: (chuckling) "Oh... OK. I’m a believer now."

Tony Jr: (referring to Dale Jr’s buddy Hank Parker Jr., who has two Busch Series victories based primarily on superb fuel mileage) "Just pretend you’re Hank Jr. for a weekend..."

After the field circulated another lap under the yellow flag, Tony Jr. seemed surprised at their position on the track... (Dale Jr. restarted in 17th position)

Tony Jr: ’Hell - we’re almost leading this thing! I thought it was going to be worse, but we’re in a good position here. There are at least seven cars ahead of you that can’t make it (without making another pit stop)."

Dale Jr.should quit playing the nascar race game,and go take some real lessons on the road course. :D Sounds like he had no intention of trying to win,just to finish.

Jr has a great laid back style...maybe too laid back. He has wrecked a lot this year, and is not sitting pretty in the points. But I guess the same can be said for all the DEI cars this year.

The commentators kept calling that rodent a muskrat, but in reality it was a groundhog. I used to shoot those things.

Back
Top Bottom