Was it legal??

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

smack500

Was jrs pass on kenseth and johnson bellow the yellow line legal. Was he forced ( had no other option but to go below the yellow line)

I don't think it was. I think he was going down even before Kenseth got next to him. And I also think Gordon went below it earlier too. Just 2 cents.

This very point was made by Nascar officials.NO passing under the yellow REGARDLESS of the circumstances.

I know it isnt worded very well.Circumstances can vary a lot.But in this case a penalty was warranted,imo.

I think they need to change the rule to...If you pass underneath the yellow without being forced to...you must then be penalized!

Of course it was illegal. You cannot go below the line to advance your position. He was not "forced" below the line. He chose to go below the yellow line to advance his position. His other options included backing-off so as not to break the rule. He chose to break the rule and NASCAR chose to let him get away with it. The only thing more useless than a plate "race" is NASCAR's rule book. If you have the right name and the right sponsor you can get away with crap others can't. That ruling was complete and utter..... :bslfag:

I find it odd that 2 people voted that it was not illegal, but yet they aren't stating their case..... :unsure:

Of course it was illegal. He not only advanced his position on Kenseth, but the race leader Johnson as well.

He reacted to Kenseth coming down the track, but once below the yellow line, he stayed there until he was well ahead of Kenseth and Johnson.

Wasn't Dale Sr famous for low passes like that one?

Originally posted by edison18@Apr 6 2003, 10:47 PM

Just a friendly bit of advise for you edison...Some people have feelings for Dale Sr that border on religion. Tread lightly.

But, I agree with you to a certain extent.

stating my case

I saw the pass and the replay, I thought kenseth gave him room and he had other choices.

Ok I'll state my case. what I saw on the replay was the other car come down on him, not just moving over to block, when the pass had been completed at that point. the replay gave me a better idea of what happened.
To be perfectly honest, as soon as I saw him go below the line when it first happened I thought to myself thats it here comes the black flag.
Just my opinion

Illegal as heck and their "excuse" for looking the other way does not work either. There have been other drivers black flagged that were also forced and they were told "you dont do it under ANY circumstances" Another glich in the system.

Dale Sr did ALL of his "below the line" infractions before the rule was established so he is a non issue here. This is the first time I have seen that rule violated that blatently and not enforced. But I was not surprised.

Kel

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+Apr 6 2003, 05:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ Apr 6 2003, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--edison18@Apr 6 2003, 10:47 PM

Just a friendly bit of advise for you edison...Some people have feelings for Dale Sr that border on religion. Tread lightly.

But, I agree with you to a certain extent. [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: funny how you say tread lightly on this one about dale passin low, when if it wasn't for jeff passin low twice in the past, he wouldn't have won 2 Daytona 500's... :D

and to follow the thread...legal.....see my reasoning under the race thread...

Nobody notices the 38?
Look at the tape.
Notice the 38 coming up behind Jr.
Notice how he jumps below the line?
Why?
Contact?
Hmmmmmm.........

Originally posted by Roselady3@Apr 6 2003, 07:41 PM
Nobody notices the 38?
Look at the tape.
Why?
Contact?
Hmmmmmm.........
Of course it was legal, Nascar is always right....

I'm with Roselady3, no one noticed Elliot Sadler follow jr below. I'd like to hear Kenseths take on the pass though. I watched speed news nascar edition and Harvick and his crewchief didn't seem that upset with the call

I got this from Harvick's board and I thought it was pretty interesting. Harvick said he didn't see Jr's pass but the reporter asked him this:

"If you had made the pass that Junior made, would you have been penalized?"

from thatsracin.com...

NASCAR's "judgment call" not to penalize Dale Earnhardt Jr. going below the yellow line to pass on Lap 185 did not sit well with Aaron's 499 pole-winner Jeremy Mayfield, who finished 18th on Sunday.

"It looks like they gave it to the 8 car," Mayfield said. "He can do what he wants to do."

Originally posted by DirtyMo1381529+Apr 6 2003, 07:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DirtyMo1381529 @ Apr 6 2003, 07:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Roselady3@Apr 6 2003, 07:41 PM
Nobody notices the 38?
Look at the tape.
Why?
Contact?
Hmmmmmm.........
Of course it was legal, Nascar is always right....

I'm with Roselady3, no one noticed Elliot Sadler follow jr below. I'd like to hear Kenseths take on the pass though. I watched speed news nascar edition and Harvick and his crewchief didn't seem that upset with the call [/b][/quote]
This is what Sadler, who was right behind Jr, said about the pass...

Elliott Sadler, who was right behind Earnhardt, believed Earnhardt had to go below the yellow line to avoid hitting Kenseth.

"I was the one pushing him, and they ran him down,'' Sadler said. "He had to do that or cause a big wreck, so it was a smart move.''

But you guys already have your minds made up.

Funny how there wasn't this much discussion about a certain illegal car from last week.....

Because the car wasn't illegal. It broke no rules.

Please do try to keep up.

Originally posted by paul@Apr 6 2003, 08:15 PM
Because the car wasn't illegal. It broke no rules.

Please do try to keep up.
The 20 car Paul...the one from last week....the big orange one that NASCAR took.

Originally posted by paul@Apr 6 2003, 07:17 PM
Yeah.

It broke no rules...it was not illegal.

Do try to keep up.
Im pretty sure It did Paul...I am with fergy.

They'll be returning it once they figure out what the #20 did so that they can create rules to stop it.

Stewart doesn't have a famous daddy so, like 97 said, he could spit on the track and NASCAR would be all over him.

I'm with fergy too. I do think it was a little harsh for nascar to take a car and not give it back.

Rules they will enforce only on drivers that aren't raking in millions for them.

But hey, CONGRATS JR! :lol:

The call on Dale Junior was NOT a good call. He was below the line and he did advance his position, passing both Kenseth and Johnson. NASCAR had a choice to make, either give Junior the black-flag and watch the grandstands get destroyed, or face the wrath of the fans. They made the safe call. As Waltrip said they would do. Ten million people watched and knew BEFORE the final decision was made, what it would be. That has got to tell you something.

As for Gordon and his contoversial pass, the rule states below the yellow line and his wheels were on the line, not below the line. The ruling, below the yellow line, according to how NASCAR has ruled in the past and with several different drivers in past instances, means the entire wheel on the bottom side of the yellow line.
Steve Park was a legitimate call also as the rule states "to advance your position", not just gaining one place in scoring order, but passing the car in front of you.
As for Tony Stewart's car, it was, is, illegal. NASCRAR is holding it to try to figure how and what they did to it. They will return it, but not until the furor dies down and almost everyone has forgotten about it or something else has attracted more attention. This impounded #20 car is being examined as the famous Jurrasic car of Gordon's several years ago. NASCAR hasn't figured out how or where to change the rulings.

Kenseth gave him plenty of room, if you don't believe me, look at the picture.

Attachments

• blackflag.jpg
    blackflag.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 8
I didn't vote because I haven't seen the pass. But I would have to say if he went down without being forced then it would be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom